Used 2006 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Was hoping this was a van to last 10 years
By buyamerican11

2006 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this fan new in 2006 because it was a Honda and I wanted a vehicle to care for properly and last 10 years. We drive about 12k a year, so this isn't much to ask. Its a noisy stiff ride, tires don't last longer than 25k, and we've had issues that you wouldn't expect from Honda. New front axles, AC problems, lots of rattles and noises, Its a nice looking fan, quality materials inside, good paint, no complaints there.

Favorite Features

Looks Quality of materials

Suggested Improvements

Automatic headlights Being able to see outside temp, and total miles at same time. Right now you can only see outside temp and trip meter A on the dash at the same time. Quiter ride... this is a noisy stiff riding vehicle. Tires only last 25k miles... $800 to replace. :>(

Not for Winter Climates
By scottmason

2006 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This van is fun to drive with a ton of features. It is like owning a sports car that hauls a lot of people. The radio is amazing with a six disc changer. The down side is it cannot get through snow. If there is more than an inch of snow, this van slides, spins and is not comforting to drive. Winter driving is horrible. This van has a whistle from the lower part of the windshield at highway speeds. I read this in other reviews and did not believe it. It is very true and a horrible noise. I have owned this van for under six months and will be selling it very soon.

Favorite Features

The best feature is digital climate control, set the temp. and move on. Next would be the sound system.

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle needs to handle better in the wintery weather. It handles like a sports car in winter. Not a good feature for a family vehicle in North Dakota. Fix the whistling windshield.

Great car but lots of annoying problems....
By walnutchen

2006 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We really like the car, its roomy, drives nice, cool design, lots of cup holders, but this car is always under repair which is really annoying. Since we had it (4 yrs now) we've had to: 1) Run flats wore out at (and every ) 20K. ($1500 each time) 2) automatic doors had spring popped out (3) rear engine mount had to be replaced ($800) 4) alignment was off ($100) 5) DVD system sometimes shows blank screen (we had to eject it several times for it to work. This is the most amount of maintenance I had to do for a car under 60K miles.

Favorite Features

Roomy, drives nice, lots of cup holders

Suggested Improvements

Suggestion for Honda to build a car that does not involve so much maintenance. Don't make parts that break easily (especially things that you don't expect to EVER break, like engine mounts).

Best of the best
By elewsader

2006 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

*at the time of this release - this has been the definitive minivan for the market segment. I tend to pull up to intersections with multiple Odyssey in line which doesn't bother me because I can feel comfortable knowing I've selected the best available option for my money. If you find yourself on the fence on deciding whether to go with the Sienna or the Honda which I did; I have no regrets with this car. The fit an finish just far exceed all other minivans in this segment and this has been one of the few rare purchases in my life that I've not regretted.

Favorite Features

valve cylinder management system (available only on the Ex-l and up), The array of cup holders, integrated window shades, sitting position and visibility (I'm 6'4"), stow-able rear seats, power, handling (for a minivan) - overall drive-train response and feel.

Suggested Improvements

Odd sunroof button location, humming noise when VCM is active, doors don't lock after vehicle is in drive, aside from this the only other suggestions would be to make it a bit more affordable, most people buying this are in the demo-graph of a money draining brood.

Good/Bad and Ugly
By Priceclub

2006 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are a family of 5. The (good) Honda's automatic opening doors were great with the twins when they were in car carrier seats. The room inside is great and the van still had plenty of power when 8 people were inside. The (bad) OEM brakes are not made to handle this vehicle, I swear we have had rotor problems twice, and the transmission had to be fixed. The (ugly) is the tires, 82,000 miles,and just put the fourth set on last Saturday. Have tired Mich, Yoko and Goodyear's twice. I have alignments every 6 months and rotate/balance every oil change. At least Sears pro- rated the last set for $300 dollars.

Favorite Features

Van is nice to drive, nice power for passing. Power doors, lazy Susan in floor board, heated seats, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, TIRE wear problem, transmission and power steering pump noise is very loud when the weather turns cold!