Used 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Good van/ expensive to own
By donovan7

2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2006 Honda brand new off the lot. I have had the van for 8 years and put on 75K miles. The first 50K miles were great. No issues and then the expense: Engine Mount $1,000, Sliding Door repair $350, Axle/boot issue $600, A/C repair $450, steering box $250 and not to mention putting on my third set of tires at 75K miles. Normal repairs such as brakes, fluids etc but to be expected.

Nice design and engine is reliable. Has never left me stranded. Nice and roomy for the kids.

Road noise is bad.

EX-L What a Disappointment
By jennnevada

2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car new and put on 69K miles before trading it in today. It was great for hauling around children and provided a comfortable ride and plenty of cargo space. Now the downside: lousy gas mileage (13 in town/22 hwy), on my 3rd power steering pump, my alternator recently failed and was replaced by Honda for $600, rear sliding door opening/closing mechanism failed last year, battery and brakes were replaced often, constant loud & jolting popping when turning at low speeds (cv joint issue?) and a host of other issues amounting to significant repair costs. I am happy to be rid of this money pit! My past Hondas have been great but not this model and year.

Large interior space and hidden storage areas

Always getting repairs
By mom4girlz

2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this brand new and expecte to get a long time out of a Honda with few hassels. So many recalls, so many repairs! I replaced the tires every year because of uneven wear - dealership never seems to be able to fix the problem. AC has gone, breaks have gone, bearings have gone, power doors dont open properly, radiator has gone, the list goes on and on. I figure in the last 12 mths alone I have spent 5grand in repairs. Parts are always expensive. All problems have been "out of warrenty coverage" according to dealer. Just not like my old civic or 4runner. Saving for a Subaru or Toyota!

Was hoping this was a van to last 10 years
By buyamerican11

2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this fan new in 2006 because it was a Honda and I wanted a vehicle to care for properly and last 10 years. We drive about 12k a year, so this isn't much to ask. Its a noisy stiff ride, tires don't last longer than 25k, and we've had issues that you wouldn't expect from Honda. New front axles, AC problems, lots of rattles and noises, Its a nice looking fan, quality materials inside, good paint, no complaints there.

Looks Quality of materials

Automatic headlights Being able to see outside temp, and total miles at same time. Right now you can only see outside temp and trip meter A on the dash at the same time. Quiter ride... this is a noisy stiff riding vehicle. Tires only last 25k miles... $800 to replace. :>(

Best of the best
By elewsader

2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

*at the time of this release - this has been the definitive minivan for the market segment. I tend to pull up to intersections with multiple Odyssey in line which doesn't bother me because I can feel comfortable knowing I've selected the best available option for my money. If you find yourself on the fence on deciding whether to go with the Sienna or the Honda which I did; I have no regrets with this car. The fit an finish just far exceed all other minivans in this segment and this has been one of the few rare purchases in my life that I've not regretted.

valve cylinder management system (available only on the Ex-l and up), The array of cup holders, integrated window shades, sitting position and visibility (I'm 6'4"), stow-able rear seats, power, handling (for a minivan) - overall drive-train response and feel.

Odd sunroof button location, humming noise when VCM is active, doors don't lock after vehicle is in drive, aside from this the only other suggestions would be to make it a bit more affordable, most people buying this are in the demo-graph of a money draining brood.