2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Safe and fun witj lots of room
By L.Cline on 05/12/08 13:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Odyssey is by far the best auto buy we have ever made. It handles like a car instead of a top heavy mini van. My husband and I have 2 children and 2 dogs. We can all ride together and not drive each other crazy. The kids watch the local t.v channels or a movie from the flip down screen and, the dogs sit in the back area. We still have room for more. The fuel millage is great for a mini van. The "ECO" mode kicks in a lot and that really helps. Around town, we average 22-24 mpg. We just went on a 3.5 hour trip to the mountains in NC and going UP the mountains, our avg. we 24. Coming down and back to Greenville, SC our avg was 33 mpg.

We love this car!!!
By Judy on 04/24/08 19:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the new body style as soon as it came out. I have had it for 3 years now and it keeps being the perfect little van.. We love it. It never has problems and drive it into the ground. My hubby wants to by me a X5 but my Van is just perfect for everything. I haul furniture around and kids and groceries and you name it I can fit it in the van.. I never have to worry it has never given me any problems it just keeps going and going and going. I love this car..

Honda Odyssey
By lt on 04/21/08 14:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had many problems with this car. I am on third set of brakes, second battery, hub problems with the wheels, power steering replaced and a broken motor mount. In Honda's defense they have fixed all of these at no cost after I played hard ball with them. I had to purchase an extended warranty to ease the stress of owning this van. I would never buy another one!

Overrated!
By zred5150 on 04/21/08 02:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been a staunch Honda fan my entire life. Until I purchased 2005 Odyssey EX-L RES. First the brake rotors had to be replaced. Next came the horrible wind noise. The road noise is very "American". The windshield cracked for no apparent reason. The Dealer tries extremely hard to talk down to me, even though I know more about autos than the service dept. Took the van in because mpg sucked fuel! The best I got was 22 on hwy with tailwind, and 18 in town (I did almost as good in my 4wd Toyota Sequoia!). The dealer took it for a "test drive", and using less than 1 gallon of gas and using very questionable math said it was getting 32 MPG. I love most things about the van, I just want answers!!!

Odyssey Touring - NAV/RES/PAX
By White Tiger on 04/17/08 13:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased as a Honda Certified used car. I was impressed by the long list of features and the fact that at 6'7" I could not only drive it, but could sit in all the other seats with reasonable comfort (OK, headroom isn't terrific in the third row...). If the '05 had the telescopic steering wheel of the '07s and up (and if Honda had been thoughtful enough NOT to have put a big bulge in the ceiling to house the rear HVAC controls right over a tall driver's head!), it would be even better! I read about gas mileage problems, but I get about 21 overall (26 when mixed with half freeway miles), and can easily get a steady 30+ going down the freeway at 60 mph. P.S. 34K on PAX with 30%+ left.

40K Performance Report
By Ed on 04/11/08 15:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just went over 40K. So far, had to replace factory tires at 30K, have wheel bearings in one wheel replaced, and have a new AC compressor installed. Selling dealer worked with Honda factory to cover cost of bearings and AC work, even though it was out of warranty when it happened. Bravo on dealer service! Still, was unpleasantly surprised at the problems considering I had had all scheduled services done at the dealer and Honda reliability is legendary (but now perhaps slipping!!). In general, I'm happy with the van and just love the dealership service. Crossing my fingers nothing else will go bad anytime soon.

Disappointed in car & dealership!!!
By vee on 04/01/08 06:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I followed consumer reports recommendation and purchased the odyssey. Overall I like the car, but am disappointed with the service I have received at the dealership and repair problems. At 74,000 the catalytic converter had to be replaced. Five days later the check engine light came on. I was told the rear converter needs replacement! Does the car really have two converters or are they giving me the run around! I'm currently waiting for the new part to be installed. Thank God I don't have to pay for the repairs (covered under the federal emissions warranty)... I was overcharged for a previous repair by $300. It took over a week to straighten the problem out!

made a mistake
By john911 on 03/15/08 22:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought van used it had only 28550 miles. WE were excited to get a Honda Van!! Heard so much about Hondas'. What a disappointment after I read the reviews.We are having the same problems. Noisy engine. It sounds like a small car engine also the wind noise from the windshield. It was two days over the warranty the local dealer will not cover it.The told me this after they said the noise was due to the tires that needed balancing which I paid for. After reading the reviews on this site I wonder how they could not know what the problem was. Now they say it is a loose rear engine mount and the whistling is from the windshield cost will be $1000.00 now I am just waited for the brakes to be next!

The Van is Great
By pat on 02/26/08 12:59 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Went looking for a 2004 EX Ody due to high CR ratings. Test drove 3 & found huge range of ride quality. Test drove three 2005s w/similar mileage and all had same ride quality - vastly superior to 2004. Previously purchased high mileage 99 Ody that served us well - despite installing 2 trannys at warranty expense. Wrecked it in January & bought the 2005. Incredible ride, handling, quiet, features, kids and wife absolutely love it.

Wait and Se
By P.McMillan on 02/14/08 11:26 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Totaled our 1999 Ody of 3.5years in Jan 08. Test drove 3 potential used 2004 replacements at local Honda dealership. Ride quality ranged hugely. Tried three (50K)2005s and we were hooked. If 2004 was 8 on 0-10 scale, 2005 was 10. Similarity of ride between the 3 2005s identical. Have had the 2005 EX a week now. Interior comfort styling, function is TOPS. Well taken care of by prev owner - all dealership maintenances. Steering pump and reservoir, brake pads, windsheild reglued by warranty under prev owner. Stereo increadible although old tech in no MP3/Ipod capable. Roomy, lush, quite tight ride, all power. Great van buy thus far - will advise later.