Used 2005 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

mice invasion
By virginia nichols

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased the 2005 Honda odessy from my sun, this is the second odessy that I owned prev a 2001. Love the vehicle only problem is mice like to eat the electrical harness. My 2001 had the same problem and by the Honda dealers info this is a common problem. I love Honda's and hopefully your designers would invent something to keep this from happening. Like putting a screen around the harness. This is very frustrating and I use my car every day, and the car is in a garage. Please, please answer my question on how to prevent this from happening again.

Suggested Improvements

something to protect the harness wiring from being eaten by mice

Never buy a first model year again!
By TouringNY

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it new when it first came out and have had several recurring troubles, had a brake grinding noise, went several times until finally dealer got Honda to replace the pads and shave the rotors. PAX STINX, as everyone says they don't drive that great and they are so darn expensive, lasted us only 25-30K each set. Sliding door got stuck but fixed under warranty, keeps making clunking noise and hesitation at 2500RPM since 30000 miles, tried to get dealer to figure out several times, they just charged me a diagnostic fee of $120 and can't find a darn thing.

Favorite Features

Well laid out except touring doesn't have a 8th seat option, drives like a car (albeit a heavy one) and not a truck. Very luxurious interior for minivan (that was our first impression when we got it in 2004) comparing to previous Windstar and Caravans we owned.

Suggested Improvements

See above, give an AWD option, it wouldn't be that hard since the MDX has the same platform. Newer models have a NO PAX option (argh!) but still no 8th seat. Why can't anyone figure out what is causing the noises??

Too many Problems
By MonicaT

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This van has had more problems than all of the Honda's I've owned combined. The motor mounts, catalytic converter, torque converter, struts, steering fluid pump all had to be replaced and my current mileage is 69,000. Very disappointed and will be trading it in, since the warranty has expired and will probably become a money pit.

Favorite Features

Space, storage, ride.

Suggested Improvements

This ECO system need to scraped - It's a piece of junk. The entertainment system needs to be of better quality and reliability. Honda knows these vans are having all these problems and needs to do a recall especially on the Torque converter which is going bad with low mileage.

Good but...
By 4 timer

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is our 4th Honda vehicle and I think we got a lemon this time. It was delivered with a scratch on front bumper which needed to be replaced. One year in we had to replace transmission! We've had lots of issues with driver side window motors, replaced engine mounts twice, replaced tires every 20K miles, rubber sealing on floor area of sliding doors is coming off and my Honda dealer service people know me by name... not a good thing! I don't know what engineers were thinking with shallow cup holders on tray and pull out holder is horrible... too loose to hold things. This van was not what I bargained for... one issue after another since we got it. Thank goodness we got Ext. Warranty!

Favorite Features

interior room, split seat in 3rd row, way it drives, DVD screen doesn't block driver's view when down

Suggested Improvements

Deeper cup holders on tray, yellow blinker lights on exterior... easier to see!

This is one big people and stuff hauler
By Sharan

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 2005 Honda Odyssey EX w/Leather and RES is a true value for money. I love the leather seats, the 2nd row captain seats with center 8th seat and the spacious 3rd row bench seats. The engine is powerful and can accelerate very quickly on highways. The tires and track are wide to give you a comfortable ride. The RES (Rear Entertainment System) being fully integrated with the audio system is really nice, and the sound quality of the audio system is quite good. The controls are ergonomically placed. The headlights are very intense and provide good visibility. The 3rd row seats fold flat and allow you to carry lotsa cargo.

Favorite Features

Rear Entertainment System is awesome. 3rd row seats are very spacious and fold flat for loads of storage. Engine is powerful and drive is nimble at high speeds. All seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The tray between driver and passenger seat is horrible. What were the designers thinking? It's shallow and can barely hold anything. The 2nd row seats do not lock in the folded position, i.e., if you drive around they keep sliding back and forth. The rear door should have been powered, not manual.