2005 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Most Overrated Minivan in the World
By JOHNPAR on 12/19/08 14:46 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The driver's side power door opens a few inches and then stops, a real pain with a new baby which is the only reason we went the Honda route. Poor noise insulation, DVD works ok but the headphones have never worked correctly. Dome light barely lights up, Back seats are uncomfortable on a long trip. Traded a mid-level 1998 Olds Silhouette in on this much quieter, better ride, comparable power, and handled the same. 105K miles was time for a new vehicle, this is our last Honda.

Best Family Vehicle
By Family Man on 12/11/08 16:41 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this new. It's been the best vehicle we've ever owned. Great on road trips with us getting 28mpg. Room for all 4 of us, luggage and dogs. We've done all required service and never had a problem. Drives like a car with more room than a large SUV. I really can't think of anything that we don't like about it.

NO MORE ODYSSEY!!!
By Sumera Hurmuzlu on 12/09/08 06:55 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Problems: electrical, alignment, noise, engine, breaks, steering. It was the last time I bought a Honda minivan. The trips to service shops have been constant. We spent almost $6000 in last year alone after the warranty ended. If you want to buy this van, be ready for the inconvenience and financial stress. When you buy a new and expensive car, you think that you are stress free for at least 5 years, that is not the case here. We had problem from the very first day till today.

I'm picking-up my new Odyssey tomorrow
By Honda fan on 11/26/08 20:01 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the van with the idea that in retirement I could haul stuff, and that with the navi, travels would be easier and more fun. All that is spot-on and more. I love the way it rides & handles even in NC mountains. It has plenty of power to merge on I-85 or pass on NC158. We consolidated 2 houses into 1 at retirement, and the van more than paid for itself in hauling our belongings to the new house, the dump, the Goodwill, etc. I also feel very safe driving it, with all of the safety features built-in. I bought it thinking I would find it useful for travel (which it is), but I really just enjoy driving it every day, and that surprised me! Tomorrow I pick-up my new 2009, the 05 to my son.

Wouldn't buy any other kind.
By Rog on 11/24/08 04:19 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our '05 Odyssey 4 years ago and have since logged a little over 80,000 miles with it. We love it! I've always said not to buy the first year of a new model, and there have been issues, like having to replace the front brakes in the first 10,000 miles, and a few recalls, but over all, I'm glad we bought this van. It has sufficient power, handles great, and looks good too! I noticed on another review about the need to replace a noisy power steering pump, which I'll have to do as well, because of the noise it makes. Overall, there have been a few minor issues, but I would still get another one. My advice would be to get the extended warranty like we did on a first year model.

Has been a great van
By TW on 11/15/08 07:19 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Initially had obnoxious whistle which went away by itself after 30k?! Weird. Steering pump went out. Other than that it still drives like new at 80k. Outstanding quality. Only downside is EPA overestimated mileage when this first came out. Never came close to 20/28. We get 19/24 at best.

Not living up to the Honda reputation
By Joe on 10/16/08 13:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Own a 2005 EXL. After three years we have gone through many tires, two dvd players, and two motor mounts. Currently the brakes make a whistling noise when turning. The battery does not hold charge and now I have an issue with the VCM. Oh, the paint scratches too easily and the road noise is ridiculous. Don't hit a bump too fast because the whole car feels like it hit a crater. What's with the glove box not lining up with the dashboard leaving a gap? Oh, one more thing, driver's side seat (leather) is wearing our already and I condition it several times a year (garage kept too). I bought a Honda to last me 200K plus but I'm thinking of trying a Yota soon. It couldn't be any worse.

What a mistake
By Susan on 09/26/08 10:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Don't get me wrong,I do enjoy my vehicle. But, the cost of maintaining it is outrageous! The tires are awful, uncomfortable ride. The maintenance cost every 6 months is a rip-off. Each time is $50 dollars more. I'm now up to $325 for a "B3"and of coarse they tell me my brakes look like they need replacing (not covered under warranty). I just serviced it 5 months ago for "A something" which cost $249. What next, a "C something". Unfortunately I was told that if I don't keep up required service & specific tires - "void purchased extended warranty". What a crock. Never again. Ready to take a loss and go to TOYOTA. I'll save money in the long run.

An honest review
By Rafael on 09/20/08 23:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

One of my worst experience of owning a new vehicle. We purchased it at around 40K and in the first 1000 miles the alignment was off. It kept on pulling to the right. Our family left for a road trip to LA from Seattle, half way down the trip, my front wheel bearings went bad and made a loud noise. So, we get stranded in San Francisco. It's still under warranty, but it had 3 to 4 alignments in the first year of ownership and Honda could not fix it or figure it out. I test drove 06s, 07s Touring models and they too have alignment issue. My Touring Ody spent more time at the dealership than we could trips at it just sitting in my garage. It also, had rattles and loud wind noise, disappointing.

Rusted Catalytic Conveter
By alev on 08/29/08 09:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was our third Honda but we are very disappointed. We started to hear noises just before the warranty ended, when we took it they changed one of the catalytic converters and we still have the noise. It is out of warranty. They said all the converters rusted. Never will buy Honda again. You pay $35 K and it rusts in 3 years. Why pay that much?