2005 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
An incredible experience with ownership
By Charles Rosenbaum on 04/29/10 17:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 2005 Honda odyssey is the very best vehicle that I have ever owned. The ride is unparalleled along with the many safety features. The fuel economy with this vehicle continues to go well beyond my expectations. I have had absolutely trouble free driving. Never a problem with my vehicle.

Odyssey - 5 years later
By Kim Virtanen on 03/27/10 14:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

With 142,000 miles on our '05 Odyssey, there's still quite a miles on the original brake pads and the original plugs are still firing fine, but our second set of tires are just about done. We've also had to have the fluids and filters replaced quite a few times. Otherwise; it fires up immediately, in hot or cold, wet or dry; and takes us in comfort to wherever we wish to roam. We're glad we decided against the Touring model with it's PAX run flat tires, but wish there was room for a full size spare. The only other nit to pick is the attachment of the plastic pieces around and under the front end. With mostly highway driving we average around 25 mpg - not bad for an 8 passenger vehicle!

Great Van
By Jim on 03/16/10 17:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

First Honda ever purchased. Best vehicle ever owned. Over 100,000 miles and never been back to dealer for any problem. Still has original brake pads. Will buy another one.

Don't buy a honda with pax system tires
By Paxhater on 03/15/10 11:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Do not buy Honda. Me and my wife thought we were getting a quality minivan that would last forever, than the nightmare began. We got a blow out on the rear and found out only Honda dealerships could replace these pax tires and it cost about $325 for the one tire. Then after about 15,000 miles the front 2 were bald and those cost about 650. And you have to replace them you can't put any other tires on those rims. They will last maybe 15,000 miles before they are bald and you are forced to drive on snow covered roads with 3 children on bald tires because you can't afford to replace them. And the brakes are garbage and the yolk in the front suspension snapped and is rattling around.

Saved my life!!
By Sharon on 01/28/10 21:22 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Odysseys because of the safety ratings. We ended up loving them. The ride is soooo comfortable, as driver or passenger. We live in lake effect snow belt region and always take extra caution with snow tires. Never had problems. Only had to do oil changes and minimal scheduled maintenance. Six days ago my 2005 Odyssey saved my life. A speeding driver blew a stop sign and t-boned me with such force that the van was thrown on its side (the driver's side) and then bounced back up on 'all fours'. The fire department was shocked when I literally walked out of that totaled van. They thought they'd be sending the med-evac chopper for me. I am sore and bruised but alive.

mice invasion
By virginia nichols on 01/02/10 07:40 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased the 2005 Honda odessy from my sun, this is the second odessy that I owned prev a 2001. Love the vehicle only problem is mice like to eat the electrical harness. My 2001 had the same problem and by the Honda dealers info this is a common problem. I love Honda's and hopefully your designers would invent something to keep this from happening. Like putting a screen around the harness. This is very frustrating and I use my car every day, and the car is in a garage. Please, please answer my question on how to prevent this from happening again.

Never buy a first model year again!
By TouringNY on 12/26/09 19:18 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it new when it first came out and have had several recurring troubles, had a brake grinding noise, went several times until finally dealer got Honda to replace the pads and shave the rotors. PAX STINX, as everyone says they don't drive that great and they are so darn expensive, lasted us only 25-30K each set. Sliding door got stuck but fixed under warranty, keeps making clunking noise and hesitation at 2500RPM since 30000 miles, tried to get dealer to figure out several times, they just charged me a diagnostic fee of $120 and can't find a darn thing.

Too many Problems
By MonicaT on 11/30/09 11:00 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This van has had more problems than all of the Honda's I've owned combined. The motor mounts, catalytic converter, torque converter, struts, steering fluid pump all had to be replaced and my current mileage is 69,000. Very disappointed and will be trading it in, since the warranty has expired and will probably become a money pit.

Good but...
By 4 timer on 11/18/09 04:14 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is our 4th Honda vehicle and I think we got a lemon this time. It was delivered with a scratch on front bumper which needed to be replaced. One year in we had to replace transmission! We've had lots of issues with driver side window motors, replaced engine mounts twice, replaced tires every 20K miles, rubber sealing on floor area of sliding doors is coming off and my Honda dealer service people know me by name... not a good thing! I don't know what engineers were thinking with shallow cup holders on tray and pull out holder is horrible... too loose to hold things. This van was not what I bargained for... one issue after another since we got it. Thank goodness we got Ext. Warranty!

This is one big people and stuff hauler
By Sharan on 10/20/09 11:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 2005 Honda Odyssey EX w/Leather and RES is a true value for money. I love the leather seats, the 2nd row captain seats with center 8th seat and the spacious 3rd row bench seats. The engine is powerful and can accelerate very quickly on highways. The tires and track are wide to give you a comfortable ride. The RES (Rear Entertainment System) being fully integrated with the audio system is really nice, and the sound quality of the audio system is quite good. The controls are ergonomically placed. The headlights are very intense and provide good visibility. The 3rd row seats fold flat and allow you to carry lotsa cargo.