2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Worst vehicle I've owned, by far
By greghodg on 01/25/12 11:14 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good looking, comfortable for six, fun to drive, it should have been a great van. We bought this van new in 2005 after our third child was born. Quick list of problems - vibration in steering (through multiple sets of tires and countless rebalancing), replaced starter, power steering pump, alternator. Rear motor mount went at about 50k miles ($800 covered by honda out of warranty). Both power doors have been repaired, and both are still flakey and frequently don't work. But really the biggest one is that the A/C has been replaced THREE times, at almost exactly one year intervals. First time cost me $1400, second time honda covered it, third time they split the cost. Just awful.

85k miles and the transmission needed to be replaced
By mykiddos on 12/13/11 04:37 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our family has been a loyal Honda family until this van. We will NEVER again purchase another Honda vehicle. This van has been nothing but problems. Let me just start off by saying this is a one owner vehicle and all maintenance was done on time or early. My transmission went out at 85k miles. Called Honda and they told me to "remember you have ALL those miles." Refused to do anything about a well documented problem and told me to get an attorney. A/C compressor went out (another well known problem). Some of the dash lights have never works and they can't figure out why, battery needs replacing every year, brakes keep making the noise despite the recall. I could go on and on.

Great minivan
By jd1isa2 on 10/19/11 14:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van about 4 years ago as a CPO. It has been a great family car for us. No problems really except for the expected wear and tear of certain parts (nothing unusual). This van is very comfortable especially on long drives. The Econo feature is great when you are cruising. Captains chair provide adequate support. Have decent leg room even for the 3rd row seat. I'm 6 foot tall and surprising able to fit adequately in the third row without difficulty. Highly recommended vehicle

Before you buy one of these...!!!
By dmarklin on 09/14/11 20:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Google "vibration in an 05 Honda Odyssey" and be prepared to read a snoot full about owners with brand new Odys with the problem. (Edmunds forums for example), And then be prepared, if you go ahead with a purchase, to experience it yourself. I just about guarantee it. I bought mine because they're rated by Edmunds to be the best van but Hondas have had tranny and motor mount problems since the 90s and now this. Evidently Honda doesn't believe in testing their products. Also their batteries are too small to handle the electronics in these things. Get the biggest one you can find.

Manual Sliding Door Fell off my van
By tnie on 08/08/11 02:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Odyssey brand new and currently have a little over 100,000 km on it. The only concern we have had is problems with the sliding doors. The most common problem is sticky doors. This spring my 6 year old daughter was opening the driver side sliding door and it came off the track and nearly landed on her. The only part holding the door on was the arm at the bottom of the door. The dealership said it was the plastic roller that broke and blamed me for not having it lubricated properly. They did cover the cost of repairs after numerous calls to customer relations. It has been a couple of months since this happened and now the same door will not latch properly.

This vehicle is a nightmare
By kpolitte on 05/19/11 14:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The PAX tire system is a nightmare. We just put our 3rd set on the van with 90,000 miles...so that's $4,000 alone we have invested in tires. The car rattles, has major other quality issues. Never again...

Love my Odyssey
By davidh4784 on 02/14/11 09:57 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2005 EX in the middle of 2005. We have had almost NO issues what so ever with the van. The only issue that we have had is the Factory tires. They are WORTHLESS. Three had to be replaced at only 8,000 miles and all four had to be replaced at 18,000 miles due to them wearing issues. They where taken care of by the Honda warranty and then lasted until 50,000 miles when i replaced them with Goodyear triple treads. No other issues with the van at all and we love it and will buy another one when this one at some point after this one dies.

Reliable Convience
By seast9 on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this van used with 70k miles, currently we are 110k miles. In that time there have been no unscheduled repairs. I will note, upon the test drive, the DVD player did not work, the dealer paid for the repair (~$600). The ride and handling are superior to any other minivan I have ever owned or driven. The build quality is also top notch. We specifically avoided the Touring model because of the PAX tires ($$). The EX- L provides nearly all the same amenities as the Touring model. The entertainment system with wireless headphones is a great systems for those of us with small children. The transmission is starting to show signs of wear, but increased fluid changes solve that.

Keeps on Ticking
By glaffin on 08/08/10 07:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

While not exciting, this vehicle has given us dependable, efficient service for 5 years. Adequate power, comfortable ride and cavernous interior for lugging "stuff". Great for our two large dogs who travel with us. Highly recommended.

Honda Odyssey Disappoints
By rfg on 07/23/10 08:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I recently had a third child and my husband and I decided to take the plunge and get a mini-van. Since we have had an excellent experience with my 10 year old Accord we decided Honda would be the way to go for the Mini-Van. We purchased a used Odyssey with 50,000 miles. It was fully loaded and fully serviced from day one by the Honda dealer. After one month the air conditioning broke. $2000 to fix at the dealer. I just took it to the dealer because the power sliding door wasn't working. $400 to fix. When it was there they noticed the power steering wasn't working properly. $600 to replace the pump. All told I have now spent $3000 on repairs on this bastion of reliability.