Used 2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews - 471 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Problems and how to deal with them
By harrys1

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

1. A/C compressor.
Often is stator that pulls clutch in to engage the compressor, but dealer will replace compressor anyway--more money to dealer and less chance of car return. Stator costs $75 and takes 2-3 hr. to replace=$400 repair, not $1300 for compressor.
2. Power steering noise requires new reservoir NOT pump.
There is TSB on this.
Total parts and fluid around $45.
Takes 20 minutes.
3.Transmission not shifting well.
Honda changed fluid spec to DW1 from Z1. Put new fluid in before replacing transmission--requires 3 fill and drain cycles of 3.5 qt
4. Power doors.
You need to lubricate channels at least yearly.
My doors have no problems after 9 yr. and 130,000 miles and 3 kids.

Very good handling, engine durable, maintenance costs not excessive for a van. Easy to live with. Good acceleration and shifting.

1. Make some repairs easier such as AC compressor accessibility and cat converter replacement. 2. Reduce noise and add ride refinement. Biased a little too much toward handling and not enough toward comfort 3. Train dealers better. No need to replace A/C compressor when only needs stator; or P/S pump when only reservoir needed. 4. Sliding doors need better track system so electric system will last longer.

Get Ready...
By mn_nick

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We were the typical young family... will never own a mini-van mindset. Guess what, there is a reason why there are so many out there. They are great vehicles for families with kids. They haul people and stuff, lots of great features for ease of life - remote doors (that can't ding the car next to you) remote rear hatch, etc. We drove lots of vans... the Honda Odyssey was BY FAR the best ride and drive, so we bought one. Learned about PAX tires, de-PAXed it, then was totaled in an accident. Bought another (used) already de-PAXed (BTW, don't have to use Acura wheels to do this). Then the problems. AC - replaced. Torque converter - live with it. Now, front camshaft loose - $2,000+. Finally got rid of the Odyssey, we went to a Toyota Sienna with AWD and I would pick the Toyota over the Honda hands down. Much quieter, better ride, way more 2nd row room.

272k miles and going strong!!!!
By martinbird

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Odyssey 2.5 years ago with 220k miles and in pristine condition.
We have had no major problems and LOVE this van.
Our children are young (6,4,3,& 18 months) so the power doors are much appreciated.
The only thing we didn't like about the van was the PAX system and cost to replace the tires.
We solved that problem by "depaxing" our Odyssey 6 months ago and put 18" oem rims from a 2010 Acura Mdx (found on craigslist for $400) and Hankook h725's and LOVE THE NEW RIDE!

-Leather interior & near-Luxury features -Power rear hatch and sliding doors -Heated seats -Upscale look (much better than anything domestic) -DEPENDABILITY -It's a Honda!

Depax your Odyssey in order to save a lot of money on new tires!!! Purchasing 2009-2013 Acura Mdx or Honda Pilot rims for a small amount on craigslist/ebay is the best way to get a quality look!

Bought a used 2005 Odyssey EX-L
By darkside559

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I don't know why other people giving the Odyssey a bad review. I bought mine used with hella mileage, 180k and it still run good. I had no problem whatsoever. The only issue I had since owning was both catalytic converter went bad, luckily the used car dealer give me a 3 months warranty which cover R&R both catalytic converter which I didn't pay a dime. The VCM works great, no starter issue, A/C blows ice cold even the rear A/C blows ice cold. P/S is kind of rough and needs replacement, but that's an easy job to fix, considering all those mileages, it's still have another 100+K on it.

Heated Leather Seat, 8 passenger seating, front and rear A/C, VCM, VSA, Easy aftermarket radio installation, Power sliding doors, Steering Wheel remote, Moonroof, big cargo space, 4 wheel disc brakes,

Could of made an AWD version, a Mugen version, Supercharge or Turbo Charge version.

Reliable Car
By adam555

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car two years ago with 108k miles on it. It runes so far like new thanks God. I figured out I am not paying over 35k for a new one, that we don't use a lot. We have around 6k a year. I usually don't write reviews, but I tell you if I read the others reviews before, I would have never bought this car, and I am glad I did not. People usually don't write reviews unless they have problem. two third of the reviews show problems with this car, but I know many owners for this car love it like I do. I am buying another car for myself, and every time I look at a car, I change my mind because of the reviews, so I decided to look at the Odyssey figuring out no complaints, but there is.