Used 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Get Ready...
By mn_nick

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We were the typical young family... will never own a mini-van mindset. Guess what, there is a reason why there are so many out there. They are great vehicles for families with kids. They haul people and stuff, lots of great features for ease of life - remote doors (that can't ding the car next to you) remote rear hatch, etc. We drove lots of vans... the Honda Odyssey was BY FAR the best ride and drive, so we bought one. Learned about PAX tires, de-PAXed it, then was totaled in an accident. Bought another (used) already de-PAXed (BTW, don't have to use Acura wheels to do this). Then the problems. AC - replaced. Torque converter - live with it. Now, front camshaft loose - $2,000+

Convenience, ride, power and comfort. This is a great vehicle for trips - when it's running well.

AC - apparently a common problem. Two new compressors. Did that myself. PAX Tires - Urgh - soon as they're ready to be replaced get rid of them. You will have to buy new wheels as well. Torque converter - about $2k to fix it, but have heard from many it really doesn't fix it - so we live with it. Now the front camshaft is loose causing the VSA to malfunction. $2k to fix. My van has 172k on it, but to need a camshaft replaced? My "junky GM product" has over 220k on it, no engine rebuild, same AC compressor, same wheels. FIX: AC issues, torque converter, you've already done away with PAX. Put some quality back into your product. Poor planning on placement cause many issues.

272k miles and going strong!!!!
By martinbird

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Odyssey 2.5 years ago with 220k miles and in pristine condition. We have had no major problems and LOVE this van. Our children are young (6,4,3,& 18 months) so the power doors are much appreciated. The only thing we didn't like about the van was the PAX system and cost to replace the tires. We solved that problem by "depaxing" our Odyssey 6 months ago and put 18" oem rims from a 2010 Acura Mdx (found on craigslist for $400) and Hankook h725's and LOVE THE NEW RIDE!

-Leather interior & near-Luxury features -Power rear hatch and sliding doors -Heated seats -Upscale look (much better than anything domestic) -DEPENDABILITY -It's a Honda!

Depax your Odyssey in order to save a lot of money on new tires!!! Purchasing 2009-2013 Acura Mdx or Honda Pilot rims for a small amount on craigslist/ebay is the best way to get a quality look!

2005 Odyssey - Disappointment
By

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2005 LX new. Things started well, but excessive tire wear, sliding door issues, interior lighting issues, bad starter, bad wiper motor and A/C have soured me. After the second major A/C issue I ask Honda for help. The Honda customer service folks did not care that I was a Honda supporter on my 4th Honda. When I needed Honda they turned their back on me. This will be my last Honda and I will give them the same support I was given which is ZERO. I am moving on and you should to when you buy your next car.

When you sell someone a bad product a little good will and care can fix the customer issue.

This vehicle is a nightmare
By kpolitte

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The PAX tire system is a nightmare. We just put our 3rd set on the van with 90,000 miles...so that's $4,000 alone we have invested in tires. The car rattles, has major other quality issues. Never again...

Never buy a first model year again!
By TouringNY

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it new when it first came out and have had several recurring troubles, had a brake grinding noise, went several times until finally dealer got Honda to replace the pads and shave the rotors. PAX STINX, as everyone says they don't drive that great and they are so darn expensive, lasted us only 25-30K each set. Sliding door got stuck but fixed under warranty, keeps making clunking noise and hesitation at 2500RPM since 30000 miles, tried to get dealer to figure out several times, they just charged me a diagnostic fee of $120 and can't find a darn thing.

Well laid out except touring doesn't have a 8th seat option, drives like a car (albeit a heavy one) and not a truck. Very luxurious interior for minivan (that was our first impression when we got it in 2004) comparing to previous Windstar and Caravans we owned.

See above, give an AWD option, it wouldn't be that hard since the MDX has the same platform. Newer models have a NO PAX option (argh!) but still no 8th seat. Why can't anyone figure out what is causing the noises??