2005 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Get Ready...
By mn_nick on 02/06/14 14:20 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We were the typical young family... will never own a mini-van mindset. Guess what, there is a reason why there are so many out there. They are great vehicles for families with kids. They haul people and stuff, lots of great features for ease of life - remote doors (that can't ding the car next to you) remote rear hatch, etc. We drove lots of vans... the Honda Odyssey was BY FAR the best ride and drive, so we bought one. Learned about PAX tires, de-PAXed it, then was totaled in an accident. Bought another (used) already de-PAXed (BTW, don't have to use Acura wheels to do this). Then the problems. AC - replaced. Torque converter - live with it. Now, front camshaft loose - $2,000+

272k miles and going strong!!!!
By martinbird on 08/01/13 19:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Odyssey 2.5 years ago with 220k miles and in pristine condition. We have had no major problems and LOVE this van. Our children are young (6,4,3,& 18 months) so the power doors are much appreciated. The only thing we didn't like about the van was the PAX system and cost to replace the tires. We solved that problem by "depaxing" our Odyssey 6 months ago and put 18" oem rims from a 2010 Acura Mdx (found on craigslist for $400) and Hankook h725's and LOVE THE NEW RIDE!

2005 Odyssey - Disappointment
By on 07/16/12 15:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2005 LX new. Things started well, but excessive tire wear, sliding door issues, interior lighting issues, bad starter, bad wiper motor and A/C have soured me. After the second major A/C issue I ask Honda for help. The Honda customer service folks did not care that I was a Honda supporter on my 4th Honda. When I needed Honda they turned their back on me. This will be my last Honda and I will give them the same support I was given which is ZERO. I am moving on and you should to when you buy your next car.

This vehicle is a nightmare
By kpolitte on 05/19/11 14:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The PAX tire system is a nightmare. We just put our 3rd set on the van with 90,000 miles...so that's $4,000 alone we have invested in tires. The car rattles, has major other quality issues. Never again...

Never buy a first model year again!
By TouringNY on 12/26/09 19:18 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it new when it first came out and have had several recurring troubles, had a brake grinding noise, went several times until finally dealer got Honda to replace the pads and shave the rotors. PAX STINX, as everyone says they don't drive that great and they are so darn expensive, lasted us only 25-30K each set. Sliding door got stuck but fixed under warranty, keeps making clunking noise and hesitation at 2500RPM since 30000 miles, tried to get dealer to figure out several times, they just charged me a diagnostic fee of $120 and can't find a darn thing.

Dangerous Operating costs
By Chandra sekhar on 10/14/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Never buy a touring. The cost of tires will rip you. 2 touring tires cost $559+taxes+disposal etc. (Costco does not sell it ) and I have been replacing every 20,000 miles. I do drive only city, but so was when I was driving Camry which used to give between 35- 40,000 miles. Even third party warranty excludes tires. Fuel efficiency is in 14-16 mile range and long distance is 21 miles approx. Also AC broke once ($600), exact same repair for three of my friends when the car was about 50,000 miles. Stay away from touring. Buy accessories instead to make it touring without the expensive tires.

Repair costs is up the roof!
By Brenda on 08/21/09 07:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The touring model has pax tires which cost around $750 per tire! I only had my van for a few months then I have a nail stuck to the tire...costs me $350 to fix it! Dealer said the nail damage the tire and they can't patch it and that I need a new tire! Since the tire was only a few months old, they pro- rate the cost from $750 and only cost me $350 instead of $750. I now have my van 4 years with 82,000 miles and all 3 of the motor mounts cracked! Cost me $1500 to fix it... it does not seem right for a vehicle with such a good reputation to break so early in the vehicle life. Called Honda Corp and they said nothing they can do about it. It's a normal wear and tears on all Honda vehicles.

Very Good Minivan -- Expected Better
By jsoto on 06/22/09 16:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Despite disliking minivans as a segment, we fell in love with the features and performance of the Ody Touring when we test drove one. But, we expected better reliability and engineering from Honda after we had had the care for a while. The PAX system is terrible. On our 3rd set with 45K miles. Harsh ride with vibrations. Honda gives run-around when investigating replacing with conventional tires. Gas mileage in our hilly area is 12-13MPG. On the highway, we can occasionally exceed 20MPG. Maintenance costs at dealer are higher than for our Nissan Pathfinder SUV with many more things going wrong over the first 4 years of ownership. Poor and outdated car navigation system.

Very Disappointed
By mandy on 05/24/09 22:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this vehicle thinking it got great gas mileage and because Honda's supposedly hold their value. We paid extra for the touring because we wanted the DVD and navigation. To start, the navigation needed to be updated but I was told the CD was $200, we passed on that. Then with 60,000 miles it started shifting back and forth from overdrive. We average 17 city/frwy and the ride is beyond loud. Then there was the topper: we needed tires, normally it's not too big of a deal except that they are run flat tires that you can only get directly from a Honda dealer and they run $350 PER TIRE! Then we tried to trade it and was offered next to nothing. I will never buy a Honda again.

Never again - Odyssey
By never again on 05/22/09 13:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car brand new - thought it was such a life saver for twin babies. On the way home from the dealer some maintenance light comes on. Every time I turn around some warning/maintenance light comes. I have owned lots of other Hondas and maintenance was never an issue. I am surprised a maintenance light hasn't come on to maintenance the maintenance light for $500. Maintenance A, B what a piece of junk.