Used 2005 Honda Odyssey LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Best Van I have ever owned
By pastorewj

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van new. So all 240,000 are my miles, and I could not ask for more out of a van. I have replaced motor mounts, and power steering pump was replaced under warranty... but that is it.

Favorite Features

I can move the world in this van... and have. Amazing space.

First and only Honda ever to purchase
By mechdaug2

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 13,771, blue gray smoke coming from the exhaust system and dealer reported caused by condensation, normal operation. My vehicle was serviced at Honda dealerships for 30, 60 and 90 K mile service work as recommended by Honda. Over the years, service records have indicated work to door seals, faulty mechanics of siding doors, faulty Honda batteries( 4<4 years), premature failure of systems, such as air conditioning, power steering, and catalytic converter. Another interesting, but significantly disappointing fact, is that the seals for my doors, the back hatch door that was most recently replaced has leaked water in the back of the minivan and sides even after replacement at Honda service.

Favorite Features

Generous seating for 8; the only thing that did not ever need repair and works beautifully is the radio/CD player and speaker system. Storage features allow to pack it, sometimes, better than a truck.

Suggested Improvements

The quality of parts and service appear to be an issue. Initial indicators of system problems should be addressed prior to a full system overhaul. In the multiple contacts with Honda, I have felt like there is a disconnect with customer service and standing behind product. As the daughter of a mechanic, I have had my share of discussions with service personnel and customer service only to be disappointed with the outcome. My dad warned me about being "hoodwinked", and I feel I have been with air conditioning, power steering system, motor mounts, emissions systems with possible 2nd replacement of converters.

85k miles and the transmission needed to be replaced
By mykiddos

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our family has been a loyal Honda family until this van. We will NEVER again purchase another Honda vehicle. This van has been nothing but problems. Let me just start off by saying this is a one owner vehicle and all maintenance was done on time or early. My transmission went out at 85k miles. Called Honda and they told me to "remember you have ALL those miles." Refused to do anything about a well documented problem and told me to get an attorney. A/C compressor went out (another well known problem). Some of the dash lights have never works and they can't figure out why, battery needs replacing every year, brakes keep making the noise despite the recall. I could go on and on.

Favorite Features

Size of the van

Suggested Improvements

Make a transmission that works. It is DANGEROUS. The van just stalls when the transmission goes out. It isn't as if you turn off the van and then it doesn't start again. It just stop. Fortunately I was in a parking lot and not going down the highway at 70 miles an hour. I will be getting rid of this van as soon as I save up to buy a new vehicle. To me, it isn't worth the risk with my children. I know there are some people out there who swear by Honda, but after this van and their response, I am no longer one of them.

A few bugs... but... Problems add up...
By dan3367

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The usual wind whistle is the window shield trim and windshield gap. Sealed the area with black rvt sealant. Brake pads went out or had loud noise clucking. It was a recall thing, I have a loud clunk in very hot weather when I brake. The dash blower fan went out, the power steering had a howl when turning around 10-20 mph. It was known to the dealer, as most Honda had a bad set of steering pumps and brake pads on Hondas two weeks ago, my transmission at 40- 45 mph when I accelerate and at 20-25 mph when I slow down, it lurches or has harsh shifting feel. Dealer will not give out recall or part issues until you have a problem, in or out of warranty. The seats are very uncomfortable.

Favorite Features

I drove Dodge caravans before. Everything fails on them at 70,000 miles. Honda fails every 20,000 miles. Good gas mileage. Good acceleration. Good air cold and heat in front and back.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot open far back Windows for air flow. Improve seat comfort a lot. A spare programmed key costs over $350.00. Improve paint in hot weather it rubs off if touched or bumped, in the areas in the sun. Way too many plastic panels. A timing chain for engine not a timing belt 100,000 replacement.

used odyssey
By Nik

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Heard a lot about the noise in the cabin. well try changing the tires to Yokohama avid trz 235/65/16. they are really quiet. but I do agree, that since it's a family van, Honda should improve on the noise damping materials.

Favorite Features

looks, the ride and road handling

Suggested Improvements

standard HID lights and a better armrest.