Used 2005 Honda Odyssey LX Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Honda Odyssey is a must for families
By MGO

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have gotten every penny out of this car. It is 11 years old and still only requires routine/expected maintenance. It is great for packing in a bunch of people comfortably. My only criticism might be that the middle seat belts (2nd and 3rd row) hit too high on neck even for an adult (5'8"). That is something to consider when you count out how many people/kids you will routinely transport. Really can't go wrong with any Honda, in my opinion.

What a piece of Crap!!!
By Monica

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was a die hard Honda fan, I purchased my 05 Odyssey brand new and it has been riddled with major problems from the start!!! torque converter, catalytic converters , power steering pump, ac condenser, DVD system, struts, engine mounts, and now my transmission went out at 166,000 miles!!! Run!!! don't buy the Honda Odyssey!!!

Best Van I have ever owned
By pastorewj

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van new. So all 240,000 are my miles, and I could not ask for more out of a van. I have replaced motor mounts, and power steering pump was replaced under warranty... but that is it.

I can move the world in this van... and have. Amazing space.

First and only Honda ever to purchase
By mechdaug2

At 13,771,
blue gray smoke coming from the exhaust system and dealer reported caused by condensation, normal operation. My vehicle was serviced at Honda dealerships for 30, 60 and 90 K mile service work as recommended by Honda. Over the years, service records have indicated work to door seals, faulty mechanics of siding doors, faulty Honda batteries( 4<4 years), premature failure of systems, such as air conditioning, power steering, and catalytic converter. Another interesting, but significantly disappointing fact, is that the seals for my doors, the back hatch door that was most recently replaced has leaked water in the back of the minivan and sides even after replacement at Honda service.

Generous seating for 8; the only thing that did not ever need repair and works beautifully is the radio/CD player and speaker system. Storage features allow to pack it, sometimes, better than a truck.

The quality of parts and service appear to be an issue. Initial indicators of system problems should be addressed prior to a full system overhaul. In the multiple contacts with Honda, I have felt like there is a disconnect with customer service and standing behind product. As the daughter of a mechanic, I have had my share of discussions with service personnel and customer service only to be disappointed with the outcome. My dad warned me about being "hoodwinked", and I feel I have been with air conditioning, power steering system, motor mounts, emissions systems with possible 2nd replacement of converters.

85k miles and the transmission needed to be replaced
By mykiddos

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our family has been a loyal Honda family until this van.
We will NEVER again purchase another Honda vehicle.

This van has been nothing but problems.
Let me just start off by saying this is a one owner vehicle and all maintenance was done on time or early.

My transmission went out at 85k miles.
Called Honda and they told me to "remember you have ALL those miles."
Refused to do anything about a well documented problem and told me to get an attorney.

A/C compressor went out (another well known problem).
Some of the dash lights have never works and they can't figure out why, battery needs replacing every year, brakes keep making the noise despite the recall.
I could go on and on.

Size of the van

Make a transmission that works. It is DANGEROUS. The van just stalls when the transmission goes out. It isn't as if you turn off the van and then it doesn't start again. It just stop. Fortunately I was in a parking lot and not going down the highway at 70 miles an hour. I will be getting rid of this van as soon as I save up to buy a new vehicle. To me, it isn't worth the risk with my children. I know there are some people out there who swear by Honda, but after this van and their response, I am no longer one of them.