2005 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
First and only Honda ever to purchase
By mechdaug2 on 07/09/14 20:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 13,771, blue gray smoke coming from the exhaust system and dealer reported caused by condensation, normal operation. My vehicle was serviced at Honda dealerships for 30, 60 and 90 K mile service work as recommended by Honda. Over the years, service records have indicated work to door seals, faulty mechanics of siding doors, faulty Honda batteries( 4<4 years), premature failure of systems, such as air conditioning, power steering, and catalytic converter. Another interesting, but significantly disappointing fact, is that the seals for my doors, the back hatch door that was most recently replaced has leaked water in the back of the minivan and sides even after replacement at Honda service.

85k miles and the transmission needed to be replaced
By mykiddos on 12/13/11 04:37 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our family has been a loyal Honda family until this van. We will NEVER again purchase another Honda vehicle. This van has been nothing but problems. Let me just start off by saying this is a one owner vehicle and all maintenance was done on time or early. My transmission went out at 85k miles. Called Honda and they told me to "remember you have ALL those miles." Refused to do anything about a well documented problem and told me to get an attorney. A/C compressor went out (another well known problem). Some of the dash lights have never works and they can't figure out why, battery needs replacing every year, brakes keep making the noise despite the recall. I could go on and on.

A few bugs... but... Problems add up...
By dan3367 on 04/11/09 23:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The usual wind whistle is the window shield trim and windshield gap. Sealed the area with black rvt sealant. Brake pads went out or had loud noise clucking. It was a recall thing, I have a loud clunk in very hot weather when I brake. The dash blower fan went out, the power steering had a howl when turning around 10-20 mph. It was known to the dealer, as most Honda had a bad set of steering pumps and brake pads on Hondas two weeks ago, my transmission at 40- 45 mph when I accelerate and at 20-25 mph when I slow down, it lurches or has harsh shifting feel. Dealer will not give out recall or part issues until you have a problem, in or out of warranty. The seats are very uncomfortable.

used odyssey
By Nik on 06/03/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Heard a lot about the noise in the cabin. well try changing the tires to Yokohama avid trz 235/65/16. they are really quiet. but I do agree, that since it's a family van, Honda should improve on the noise damping materials.

Noisy
By Idaho on 05/14/08 21:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We love the car for the comfort and room. The room is awesome. But the road noise is loud. Changed tires from Michelin to Yokohama hoping for some improvement. No change. Have had to replace windshield several times. Last time they changed out the windshield twice, got new clips. Still a wide gap that causes whistling all the time. Eco Engine always sounds like it is revved and ready to take off. Dealer says it is road noise. We had the car undercoated when new. Nice protection, but does not help road noise. We will check with tire manufacture for any help and also the windshield replacement shop for a redo. Still love the car, but it sounds like the EX is a quieter model.

Disappointed in car & dealership!!!
By vee on 04/01/08 06:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I followed consumer reports recommendation and purchased the odyssey. Overall I like the car, but am disappointed with the service I have received at the dealership and repair problems. At 74,000 the catalytic converter had to be replaced. Five days later the check engine light came on. I was told the rear converter needs replacement! Does the car really have two converters or are they giving me the run around! I'm currently waiting for the new part to be installed. Thank God I don't have to pay for the repairs (covered under the federal emissions warranty)... I was overcharged for a previous repair by $300. It took over a week to straighten the problem out!

2 years, 43,000 miles and no problems.
By FlashRed on 04/18/07 06:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Odyssey to replace our '01 RAV4. With 2 kids, it was tops on our list. Looked at the other vans, but they did not compare. I've seen some reviews with people having issues with their '05, but we have had only one, and that was a CD getting stuck in the CD player. Other than that it's been perfect. We are averaging 22 miles per gallon. So I'm not sure what some on here are expecting from a 244hp 4400lb vehicle. We have absolutely no complaints about the economy of our van. We just love our van.

Great Vehicle, but dump Michelin
By No Va Dad on 11/13/06 09:03 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great vehicle for us. The styling and handling of the van is excellent. Build-in features, even on the base model we purchased, surpass expectation. However, and this is an expensive however, the tires are awful. The OEM Michelin tires have been nothing by trouble and are expensive. We've been through 2 already at $150 a pop and about to replace a third. I've never had some much trouble as I have with these Michelin's.

Braking Issues
By Big Daddy on 05/12/06 06:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the Odyssey except for a few problems. Gas guzzler for one thing, but a guess a vehicle this size it is expected. I have been having some brake issues. If traveling at a high rate of speed and then brake quickly. The next few miles of slow braking causes the brakes to make a grinding sensation. Wonder if it is a caliper problem. Also, starting out of driveway in the A.M, I am getting a little hesitation and noise when putting the vehicle in drive. Overall, satisfied with this van.

Watch out of 05's Issues
By Mommy-Van Driver on 04/24/06 09:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my van as far as features, roominess, etc. but I've had continual problems with grinding brakes. The dealership FINALLY resealed around windshield to rid wind noise, plastic around glove-box, leg area gets VERY easily "bummed" up. I would not recommend an 05 to anyone. In general it's a great van but the new model has had way to many quirks for me. My 9 year old Ford Windstar could beat this van up as far as durability, now special features it does rate tops. Considering trading my 05 for an 06 hoping they've fixed the quirks.