2005 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Problems and how to deal with them
By harrys1 on 04/09/14 14:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

1. A/C compressor. Often is stator that pulls clutch in to engage the compressor, but dealer will replace compressor anyway--more money to dealer and less chance of car return. Stator costs $75 and takes 2-3 hr. to replace=$400 repair, not $1300 for compressor. 2. Power steering noise requires new reservoir NOT pump. There is TSB on this. Total parts and fluid around $45. Takes 20 minutes. 3.Transmission not shifting well. Honda changed fluid spec to DW1 from Z1. Put new fluid in before replacing transmission--requires 3 fill and drain cycles of 3.5 qt 4. Power doors. You need to lubricate channels at least yearly. My doors have no problems after 9 yr. and 130,000 miles and 3 kids.

Get Ready...
By mn_nick on 02/06/14 14:20 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We were the typical young family... will never own a mini-van mindset. Guess what, there is a reason why there are so many out there. They are great vehicles for families with kids. They haul people and stuff, lots of great features for ease of life - remote doors (that can't ding the car next to you) remote rear hatch, etc. We drove lots of vans... the Honda Odyssey was BY FAR the best ride and drive, so we bought one. Learned about PAX tires, de-PAXed it, then was totaled in an accident. Bought another (used) already de-PAXed (BTW, don't have to use Acura wheels to do this). Then the problems. AC - replaced. Torque converter - live with it. Now, front camshaft loose - $2,000+

272k miles and going strong!!!!
By martinbird on 08/01/13 19:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Odyssey 2.5 years ago with 220k miles and in pristine condition. We have had no major problems and LOVE this van. Our children are young (6,4,3,& 18 months) so the power doors are much appreciated. The only thing we didn't like about the van was the PAX system and cost to replace the tires. We solved that problem by "depaxing" our Odyssey 6 months ago and put 18" oem rims from a 2010 Acura Mdx (found on craigslist for $400) and Hankook h725's and LOVE THE NEW RIDE!

Bought a used 2005 Odyssey EX-L
By darkside559 on 06/03/13 21:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I don't know why other people giving the Odyssey a bad review. I bought mine used with hella mileage, 180k and it still run good. I had no problem whatsoever. The only issue I had since owning was both catalytic converter went bad, luckily the used car dealer give me a 3 months warranty which cover R&R both catalytic converter which I didn't pay a dime. The VCM works great, no starter issue, A/C blows ice cold even the rear A/C blows ice cold. P/S is kind of rough and needs replacement, but that's an easy job to fix, considering all those mileages, it's still have another 100+K on it.

Reliable Car
By adam555 on 03/08/13 14:28 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car two years ago with 108k miles on it. It runes so far like new thanks God. I figured out I am not paying over 35k for a new one, that we don't use a lot. We have around 6k a year. I usually don't write reviews, but I tell you if I read the others reviews before, I would have never bought this car, and I am glad I did not. People usually don't write reviews unless they have problem. two third of the reviews show problems with this car, but I know many owners for this car love it like I do. I am buying another car for myself, and every time I look at a car, I change my mind because of the reviews, so I decided to look at the Odyssey figuring out no complaints, but there is.

Transmission denial for Honda Corp.
By amd6577 on 08/09/12 10:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 2005 Odyssey EX-L DVD in 2011 from Hendrick Honda in Easley, SC. Bad idea. 1 year later with <100K miles, trans shakes and stuck between 2nd&3rd gears. Take to trans shop (we were out of town) and they repair trans (including replacing torque conv) for $2500. 4 months later we get a letter from Honda Corp. that the issue is being covered under ext warranty and to submit documentation. Today, I got a call from "Ron" at Honda Corp. (who said he has *no supervisor* and refused to provide his last name), saying that our trans. issue is, in fact, not covered. Oh-- and no appeal process. I am 100% done with Honda. Not a quality product anymore. Buying an Odyssey is flushing $ away.

2005 Odyssey - Disappointment
By on 07/16/12 15:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2005 LX new. Things started well, but excessive tire wear, sliding door issues, interior lighting issues, bad starter, bad wiper motor and A/C have soured me. After the second major A/C issue I ask Honda for help. The Honda customer service folks did not care that I was a Honda supporter on my 4th Honda. When I needed Honda they turned their back on me. This will be my last Honda and I will give them the same support I was given which is ZERO. I am moving on and you should to when you buy your next car.

Great Vehicle!
By amirjones78 on 05/01/12 15:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best vehicle I've owned. It's also one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever driven. The ride is very comfortable and quiet. Handling is excellent. I always feel in complete control in any type of weather in my Odyssey. Contrary to some of the reviews I'm seeing for this year of Odyssey; I don't really have problems with it. The only problem I had was a power steering reservoir that needed to be replaced ($125ish). At one point there was an odd vibration between 25 and 30 mph. Many people replaced the transmission or torque converter with no success. I just had the transmission fluid changed (scheduled maintenance) with Mobile 1 full synthetic. Problem solved!

Worst vehicle I've owned, by far
By greghodg on 01/25/12 11:14 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good looking, comfortable for six, fun to drive, it should have been a great van. We bought this van new in 2005 after our third child was born. Quick list of problems - vibration in steering (through multiple sets of tires and countless rebalancing), replaced starter, power steering pump, alternator. Rear motor mount went at about 50k miles ($800 covered by honda out of warranty). Both power doors have been repaired, and both are still flakey and frequently don't work. But really the biggest one is that the A/C has been replaced THREE times, at almost exactly one year intervals. First time cost me $1400, second time honda covered it, third time they split the cost. Just awful.

85k miles and the transmission needed to be replaced
By mykiddos on 12/13/11 04:37 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our family has been a loyal Honda family until this van. We will NEVER again purchase another Honda vehicle. This van has been nothing but problems. Let me just start off by saying this is a one owner vehicle and all maintenance was done on time or early. My transmission went out at 85k miles. Called Honda and they told me to "remember you have ALL those miles." Refused to do anything about a well documented problem and told me to get an attorney. A/C compressor went out (another well known problem). Some of the dash lights have never works and they can't figure out why, battery needs replacing every year, brakes keep making the noise despite the recall. I could go on and on.