Used 2004 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Transmissions
By Phil

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

You MUST follow the scheduled maintenance of the transmission... which means drain and fill EVERY 40,000 miles. People let it go, then wonder why the tranny fails?

I love this "car" (drives like one)! I have a bad back, but can drive this car 1000 miles or more without a break, just wish MPG was better!

I would LOVE to see the European Odyssey in our U.S. market, FYI the Euro Odyssey is similar to a Mazda 5 in size or "like a tall Accord".

Read before buying '04 Odyssey
By chambalam

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I think you are about to see the rating of the '04 Odyssey plunge. We had an accident that resulted in our '04 Odyssey with 70,000 miles being totaled. We were so happy with the van that we went out and bought another '04 just like it, except it had a few more miles on it. 10 days after purchase the D light starts flashing, turns out it is a transmission problem. I do some research on the internet and there are HUNDREDS of posts showing that TRANSMISSION FAILS at 80,000 - 100,000 miles. There was actually a recall on the tranny for some '04 models, but those that were not included in the class action lawsuit or out of luck. Honda has refused to stand behind there faulty transmission!

A great vehicle if you are happy only getting 80,000 - 100,000 miles out of it.

Honda knows it has a transmission problem, they should save their reputation and fix it.

Not Overrated
By BonkBonk

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I live in Minnesota - it is quite decent even on all-season tires Here is my take: performance/fun-to-drive are both 10 (for minivans). It is more precise than most domestic cars and every other minivan (incl Toyota). Comfort is an 8 due to some stiffness - the price you pay for performance. Fuel economy is a 6 - I get 19, would be nice in the low 20s. Interior design is a 9 - spartan and practical + little to break. Exterior design and build quality both 10s - best looking minivan with great fit/finish. Reliability a 9 - almost perfect.

Fold-away rear seat works great. My wife loves it - she put 9000 miles on it in the first six months (she took the bus to work at the time). She invented reasons to drive it! Very easy to take six on vacation with luggage and without the use of a roof rack.

I would give up some horsepower for mileage, but that might not fly for those towing boats or campers. The center folding tray cupholder foam inserts have broken off - would be nice if those wells were deeper and better foam inserts. Factory radio reception is not the best.

Way Overrated
By Gusto

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Went from Chrysler T&C LTD to this vehicle based on reviews. Big mistake! Interior features were completely lacking, although have been improved in subsequent redesign. Very uncomfortable seats. As many mechanical issues as any domestic I have owned. Worst vehicle I have ever driven in the snow.

Too many to enumerate

Lemon
By SANDY

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had been a faithful Honda customer for the past 15 years, but no more. This Odyssey has been nothing but trouble in the 44k miles that we have put on in 5 years. Problems that have had to be fixed so far - radio controls on the steering wheel, rollers on both power sliding doors, all 5 engine mounts, A/C compressor, seat belts. In addition, the original Michelins wore out in 20k miles. I am ready to dump this and get me a Toyota.

None.

Reliability. Better customer service.