2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
A Mixed Bag
By AGS on 01/05/10 10:13 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Odyssey while stationed overseas and brought it home with high hopes and initial satisfaction. While cavernous, easy to drive, powerful and full of many great features such as power doors and dual air, reliability is becoming a concern as it reaches 80K miles. Paint has peeled twice and dealers have not been receptive to repairing the damage in our area. Left sliding door continuously needs grease to quiet the chatter. Oil changes are a bear. A/C filter changes, too. CD player died. Clock's light went dark. CD and clock are very expensive to replace. Overall, a disappointment; can't recommend it any longer and won't be buying another Honda :( This is a "Monday" car, for sure.

A Real Work Horse
By mwsprotool on 11/05/09 11:15 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven my Odyssey about 22K miles per year for the past almost 6 years and it has been extremely reliable as well offering exceptional versatility. I frequently carry a lot of equipment for my job and other times a full load of furniture and antiques for my wife's antique shows. We frequently go to dinner and/or a show with 2 other couples and the ability to carry 6 adults comfortably is a big advantage. The only negatives are the occasional rough downshifts of the transmission (which my dealer told me early on is normal for this vehicle) and the relatively unforgiving suspension that is an negative here on the rough roads of Ohio. Overall, it has been a real pleasure to own.

1st and Last Honda
By gwal on 11/03/09 16:00 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van as our family grew and we needed more room and wanted it to be reliable. It was a certified van with 29,000 mi on it. After purchase, I immediately became unsatisfied with the amount of road noise and interior functions malfunctioning. Issues were fixed under certified warranty. At 50,000 mi (current) started to have transmission shuddering even though maintenance schedule has been followed. After 3 trips to the dealer and a call to Honda, they are replacing the transmission under warranty. Don't know how many miles this one will last, but hopefully until I can trade it. Van depreciated horribly and will probably have to keep it another 2 years to break even on trade.

A Space Odyssey
By Family Man on 08/27/09 18:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in my Caravan for the Odyssey because of high Consumer Reports on the Honda. Car has had numerous small problems such as SRS light twice, heater didn't work twice, Stabilizer ends, power doors. Lock the car when you leave or the remote in your pocket will open the power doors. Alarm goes off unprovoked. Won't buy another Odyssey but will consider the Caravan again.

Repairs
By fireman2 on 07/25/09 18:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

2004 was great. The design of the power drivers seat controls is horrible. Every time you get out of the van your left leg pulls on the side seat console, as for now I have no control of the drivers seat. The trans blew at 80,000 cost me over 3,000. Only really good thing -- The paint was peeling off BAD, the dealer had NO ANSWER!!! Called Honda USA In Calif, gave the VIN #, right away the rep stated that my van was manu. in Alabama and the paint jobs were lousy!!! He gave me numbers and letters and told me to call any Honda dealership. REPAINTED -- THE WHOLE VAN -- FREE!!!! Also like other owners--Had to replace motor mounts at 65,000 miles.

Odyssey Excellency
By SportGears on 07/24/09 13:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van in 2004 and it's still going strong at 160k miles. No problem whatsoever. We love this car... highly recommended.

Honda Disappoints
By Elisa N. on 06/21/09 17:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several models of Honda in my life. I have always equated Honda with quality. Not so any more. My Honda Minivan has been a huge LEMON. The transmission failed me at 60,000 miles and I was almost killed when it happened. I have spent a fortune on this Honda minivan and I wish I had bought a LEXUS or an INFINITI instead. I love the automatic doors but that's about it. Unfortunately HONDA has severely disappointed me with their transmission issues. I am no longer a lover of HONDA. I need to find a new reliable brand of car. SHAME!!!

Good van for the price
By dcordell on 03/27/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got a good deal on a 04 Odyssey LX with 55,000 miles on it so I chose it over the more expensive Sienna. In the three months I've owned it I have been impressed with the power, roominess, handling, and reliability. This van will keep up with the traffic with no strain, even in the mountains of NC. Handling is good and it really sticks to the road but the ride on mine is not smooth. You can use the van to do some pretty hefty hauling with the 3rd row seat in the floor and and the 2nd row moved out. With the seats up it seats 7 fairly comfortably. The little lug wrench that comes with the van wouldn't budge the lugs when I had a flat. Overall I have been pleased with the van.

2004 Honda Odyssey transmission-beware
By 71chall340 on 03/26/09 16:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The vehicle is one of the best driving vans I have owned. The van has been reliable (other than rear vent window motors) for 85,000 mi. until my transmission had to be replaced. I previously serviced my transmission at the dealer ship with fluid changes. I was lucky to have purchased an extended 5 yr/100,000mi warranty. The early 2004 model year had a recall for this same problem in which my car didn't fall under. I feel Honda should compensate those out of warranty because this problem goes beyond the recall time period.

Transmissions
By Phil on 03/20/09 06:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

You MUST follow the scheduled maintenance of the transmission... which means drain and fill EVERY 40,000 miles. People let it go, then wonder why the tranny fails?