2004 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews 2

2004 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Time to sell or trade
By exhondaowner on 01/27/11 19:31 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Sold at 80K miles. I expected to keep the car for at least 10 years. Rear power windows went in 2008. The transmission has slipped for 10k miles and I do not trust it. Much worse recently. Power door locks are failing and the radio controls on the steering wheel and radio were not failing. I have had 3 other Hondas. 1986 Accord went 186K. 2000 Accord replaced transmission at 80K in November. The 2005 Accord is still going strong with 35K miles. I did not realize how noisy they were until I purchased the 2011 Highlander.

Excellent Car
By Dave on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just traded this 2004 EX-L in on a 2010 EX-L if that tells you anything of how we liked the car. In the more than 6 years that we owned it this was an extremely reliable vehicle. Only maintenance was due to normal wear and tear and scheduled items. An excellent buy.

Extremely Disappointed
By disappointed on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our van worked great with no problems until about 76,000 miles. After that it was one thing (some big) after the other. After 10,000 more miles and about $3500, we decided that we had enough. We hoped that this car would last for many years and at least 200,000 miles. It felt like the transmission was going out, similar to other reviews below. After seeing similar vans at the transmission shop, we got rid of it. Since my dad's Accord has over 350,000 miles and our friends and family have similar odysseys, we are extremely disappointed! We would not buy another Odyssey unless we purchased a new one with extended warranties. So much for Honda quality and reliability.

Last honda van
By joe on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Replaced transmission at 44,000. Replaced mechanism for steering wheel controls. Having problems with side passenger door not locking at 49,000. Today driving home from park with kids side passenger door window drops off track. Need to replace. Not happy with this. Seems as you pay it off starts falling apart. Also replaced motor mounts at 35,000.

Stranded
By dalo25 on 06/30/10 15:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been used up in NH which is rough on cars. I have had to replace the AC compressor twice. AC Compressors cost around $1200-$1400 to fix. Both times it has stranded my family on a main road. AC is lousy unless youíre in the front seat. Other issues have cropped up such as leaking engine mounts and various electronic issues. Canít recall the last time the rear windows worked. Bullet proof reliability? Ride is very stiff and noisy. I think Honda just doesn't report their problems. Don't drink the Imports are better than Kool-aid. This mini-van is no better than a domestic model or a Sienna.

Probably my last Honda
By Steve on 06/20/10 15:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just had the transmission replaced by the dealer at 84,000. Vehicle was purchased new and serviced regularly at local Honda dealer. Even brought in at 50,000 miles due to concerns I had with the transmission but everything "checked out". Unfortunately my vehicle wasn't including under an earlier transmission recall but Honda did cover a chunk of the $4100 trans repair. Steering wheel radio controls don't always work and driver side rear power vent window does not work. When vehicle was in for transmission replacement was also told that motor mounts needed to be replaced for approx $700. Never had motor mount or transmission issues with any other vehicle, including 4 other Hondas

A great vehicle
By Robert on 05/14/10 15:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've owned ours since purchasing it used with just over 7K. It now has just over 44k and we've had no issues with it. I had the 40K maintenance done and that included new transmission fluid. You can't expect a transmission to last a long time without changing the fluid! I like the 4 wheel disc brakes and power.

Engine Mounts
By ssethuma on 03/26/10 07:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2004 Honda Odyssey with 65K miles and have been thinking of trading it in for a 201 model. But recently I had the front engine mount fail and it cost be about $450. Seems like a manufacturing problem and a common one with Odysseys with 60K+ miles (search internet). So if you are thinking of buying a new or an old one, you may want to look up the repair history of these.

Do Not Buy a Honda Odyssey!
By First Honda Purchase on 03/21/10 14:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Replaced transmission at 49,000 miles in Jan 2008, called dealership no mention of recall. Now at 83,000 miles, transmission is out again! 1.1 million recalled - my VIN # is not on the recall list, even though it is doing the same exact thing Honda issued the recall for. My first Honda will be my last. Customer service from Honda USA is terrible. Buy a Ford!

Mixed Ride
By Shariq on 02/19/10 06:31 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car 6 years ago and its doing pretty well. The only problem we had was that the audio controls on the steering wheel stopped working. Overall a nice minivan with bunch of options.