Used 2004 Honda Odyssey LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Ditto of the Majority
By awcheney

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought car brand new! I'm just agreeing with what most are saying here. Any time I went in for a state inspection, was told I needed to replace a motor mount or two after 60,000 miles or so. Don't do jackrabbit starts. Transmission went at around 120,000 miles, $4,000 to replace at a Honda dealership; Drivers side passenger door, no longer auto-locks; rear vent windows haven't worked in years; several center dash lights went out; then a year after the transmission was replaced by the dealership, told the bolts were missing from the transmission???? I've owned two Hondas before this, an 88 Accord LX, Standard, (240K with really no problems and a 2001 Accord LX, with 35K traded on minivan.

Favorite Features

It's a great people carrier! That's its purpose! Though some complained about the rough ride, I liked it! Gave me enough road feel to give me confidence. Agree the road noise was a little excessive on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

You need to back up your name! The transmission reliability stinks! And you know it! Do something about it! Also the motor mounts fail! Do something about it!

Tranmission Failure
By brenyahoo

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I can't help but return to this site to provide our feedback. We had our 2004 Honday Odyssey transmission fail around 90K miles and after 50K miles the rebuild is now starting to fail again. We were stupid and didn't look back at reviews at the time - we should have because we of course now know this was a known problem. So nice to know a Honda dealership salesperson would sell you a vehicle they knew had problems. It's not a terrible vehicle but having the transmission problems is unacceptable. We don't buy another honda regardless.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car with reliable transmissions.

Will never buy another Honda in my life
By biyanka

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have bought this Van and another Toyota auto in the same year, both brand new. I have never been happy with the Van and I had heart burn every time I used that Van. I have rarely used it to reduce my anger and hate towards my Van, and now after more than 6years it has only 25K miles. The rear vent stopped working for years. It makes more noise than a dump trunk, and you feel like you are driving a piece of junk. I will never buy another Honda, and I always advice people not to buy Honda even in their dreams. I will not won one even if I am offered a Honda for free. I do not want constant heart burn.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Honda should talk to any other automaker, does not matter who it is, in the world to find out how to make an automobile. Every thing about this 2004 honda vechile is done wrong.

Extremely Disappointed
By disappointed

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our van worked great with no problems until about 76,000 miles. After that it was one thing (some big) after the other. After 10,000 more miles and about $3500, we decided that we had enough. We hoped that this car would last for many years and at least 200,000 miles. It felt like the transmission was going out, similar to other reviews below. After seeing similar vans at the transmission shop, we got rid of it. Since my dad's Accord has over 350,000 miles and our friends and family have similar odysseys, we are extremely disappointed! We would not buy another Odyssey unless we purchased a new one with extended warranties. So much for Honda quality and reliability.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, Average 25 mpg on freeway. Roomy, easy to service, smooth ride, plenty of cargo space, great on slick roads

Suggested Improvements

8 passenger seating, middle power jack, Standard CD player. 2004 base model only came with a cassette player in 2004? Redesign the transmission.

A great vehicle
By Robert

2004 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've owned ours since purchasing it used with just over 7K. It now has just over 44k and we've had no issues with it. I had the 40K maintenance done and that included new transmission fluid. You can't expect a transmission to last a long time without changing the fluid! I like the 4 wheel disc brakes and power.

Favorite Features

Lots of power when needed and great for long trips. We get 27 mpg on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

We have the base model with no power doors and just steel wheels with hubcaps. Maybe a way to cover up the sliding door mechanism so it won't get sand on it when visiting the beach!