Used 2004 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Great Van
By Bibi

2004 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely love this van. Bought it with 15Ok Miles and it working good as ever. Only problem is that the V6 takes a lot of gas. The front seats are really great. Have a lot of leg space. The trunk has a lot of space. Great Family Van.

Ditto of the Majority
By awcheney

2004 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought car brand new! I'm just agreeing with what most are saying here. Any time I went in for a state inspection, was told I needed to replace a motor mount or two after 60,000 miles or so. Don't do jackrabbit starts. Transmission went at around 120,000 miles, $4,000 to replace at a Honda dealership; Drivers side passenger door, no longer auto-locks; rear vent windows haven't worked in years; several center dash lights went out; then a year after the transmission was replaced by the dealership, told the bolts were missing from the transmission???? I've owned two Hondas before this, an 88 Accord LX, Standard, (240K with really no problems and a 2001 Accord LX, with 35K traded on minivan.

It's a great people carrier! That's its purpose! Though some complained about the rough ride, I liked it! Gave me enough road feel to give me confidence. Agree the road noise was a little excessive on the highway.

You need to back up your name! The transmission reliability stinks! And you know it! Do something about it! Also the motor mounts fail! Do something about it!

what honda won't tell you
By phidknee

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

tranny, radio, engine mounts , sliding doors , rear vent windows , battery cables are the cause of many problems with this van in my opinion ,change at least the positive side . Now the big problem the tranny in 2004 mid year (April I believe) is when you have a chance to have your tranny last . 1 do a total drain on tranny fluid ( you tube ) while running van . 2 change tranny filter , yes you need to look up on Honda parts drawings , there is a filter ! 3 you need to install a tranny cooler a second tranny inline filter( magna filter ) all the rest you can also find on you tube . You must have some knowledge about car repairs .Also do all your yearly maintenance on time ( timing belt

230K and no major problems
By danielc2

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Van new. We drove it a lot. Never had any major problems. We lost it when it was totaled in an accident. We miss it. We used Mobil 1 and changed the oil about every 5,000 miles. Changed the timing belt at 110K. Changed the brake pads myself and never had to replace rotors. The only thing not working when it was totaled was the clock light, rear windows and temperature control. Otherwise great van. I would by another 2004 but we are out of the kid mode.

Comfort, low maintenance, rear DVD player. Rear seat folds out do the way. Rear A/C is great on hot days to quickly cool van down.

Rear window motors died early on.

Tranmission Failure
By brenyahoo

2004 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I can't help but return to this site to provide our feedback. We had our 2004 Honday Odyssey transmission fail around 90K miles and after 50K miles the rebuild is now starting to fail again. We were stupid and didn't look back at reviews at the time - we should have because we of course now know this was a known problem. So nice to know a Honda dealership salesperson would sell you a vehicle they knew had problems. It's not a terrible vehicle but having the transmission problems is unacceptable. We don't buy another honda regardless.

Build a car with reliable transmissions.

• SUV