2004 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
what honda won't tell you
By phidknee on 01/30/14 07:34 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

tranny, radio, engine mounts , sliding doors , rear vent windows , battery cables are the cause of many problems with this van in my opinion ,change at least the positive side . Now the big problem the tranny in 2004 mid year (April I believe) is when you have a chance to have your tranny last . 1 do a total drain on tranny fluid ( you tube ) while running van . 2 change tranny filter , yes you need to look up on Honda parts drawings , there is a filter ! 3 you need to install a tranny cooler a second tranny inline filter( magna filter ) all the rest you can also find on you tube . You must have some knowledge about car repairs .Also do all your yearly maintenance on time ( timing belt

230K and no major problems
By danielc2 on 11/19/13 08:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Van new. We drove it a lot. Never had any major problems. We lost it when it was totaled in an accident. We miss it. We used Mobil 1 and changed the oil about every 5,000 miles. Changed the timing belt at 110K. Changed the brake pads myself and never had to replace rotors. The only thing not working when it was totaled was the clock light, rear windows and temperature control. Otherwise great van. I would by another 2004 but we are out of the kid mode.

Tranmission Failure
By brenyahoo on 09/11/13 07:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I can't help but return to this site to provide our feedback. We had our 2004 Honday Odyssey transmission fail around 90K miles and after 50K miles the rebuild is now starting to fail again. We were stupid and didn't look back at reviews at the time - we should have because we of course now know this was a known problem. So nice to know a Honda dealership salesperson would sell you a vehicle they knew had problems. It's not a terrible vehicle but having the transmission problems is unacceptable. We don't buy another honda regardless.

3 Transmissions in Under 100k
By bob546 on 06/09/13 19:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda Paid for the 1st two, third was on us, and it cost 5k. My friend has a 2002 ody, and his trans died 4 times, my neighbor has a 2003 Ody, and she is on her 2nd transmission. In the history of automotive "junk" the 99-04 Odysseys will go in the annals as the biggest piece of crap Honda has ever built.

Electronically Junkie!
By jacksonmom3 on 09/06/12 10:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my van new. We replaced the engine mounts not too long after the warranty expired. The rear windows electronics shortly died thereafter. We paid to get it painted hoping to stretch a couple more years out of it (it only had 95K miles on it at this point). Then our transmission went out! Another $4500 down the tube. So, we are trying to recoup some money by hanging on to it, but recently (133K miles now) our rear doors have started going out, and I hear a clunking noise occassionally. Looking at the Murano or possibly CRV--almost scared to buy another Honda though!

Transmission --> Honda odyssey = Junk
By beaver8 on 07/22/12 23:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are Honda family with a Accord and a Odyssey. I have only but heart burn with Odyssey With only 80K miles on it - I was told my transmission is junk and I have to shell out $5k more to get it fixed. This is the last straw. I had to replace the door system, ac and you name it. Per my San Jose Honda dealer, this is extremely common in Honda odyssey - i.e transmission and other issues. The dealer replaces an average of 5 transmissions a week for Odysseys between 1999-2007. So for those Odyssey owners - watch for any sluggishness in the performance. I am not coming to Honda again.

Mixed feelings
By horstradamus on 07/21/12 09:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used in 2007. Steering wheel controls have started randomly switching themselves, radio went a few months ago, three separate parts of the AC system have also gone, rear wiper stopped working, passenger sliding door auto lock stopped working. Other than that, there have been no problems with the transmission or engine.

04 Honda Odyessy
By jason04 on 08/19/11 16:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2004 Hoda Odyessy that I bought from Gilman Honda brand new. I had multiple electical issues, too many to even list, they misdiagnosed multiple issues, charged me $800 to replace my starter but the last straw was when the transmission went out not once, but twice. They replaced it the first time under the extended warranty at 45,000 miles, then it went out again 4 years later with 99000 miles. I explained that I thought Honda was a repiltable company that would stand behind there product...I sure was mistaken.

Will never buy another Honda in my life
By biyanka on 04/11/11 15:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have bought this Van and another Toyota auto in the same year, both brand new. I have never been happy with the Van and I had heart burn every time I used that Van. I have rarely used it to reduce my anger and hate towards my Van, and now after more than 6years it has only 25K miles. The rear vent stopped working for years. It makes more noise than a dump trunk, and you feel like you are driving a piece of junk. I will never buy another Honda, and I always advice people not to buy Honda even in their dreams. I will not won one even if I am offered a Honda for free. I do not want constant heart burn.

Time to sell or trade
By exhondaowner on 01/27/11 19:31 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Sold at 80K miles. I expected to keep the car for at least 10 years. Rear power windows went in 2008. The transmission has slipped for 10k miles and I do not trust it. Much worse recently. Power door locks are failing and the radio controls on the steering wheel and radio were not failing. I have had 3 other Hondas. 1986 Accord went 186K. 2000 Accord replaced transmission at 80K in November. The 2005 Accord is still going strong with 35K miles. I did not realize how noisy they were until I purchased the 2011 Highlander.