Trans Failure
By pwinth on
2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
Loved my 2003 Honda Odyssey till transmission suddenly failed going 70mph on the freeway with my children in the back seat. Trans suddenly downshifted to 2nd/1st then continued to wildly shift back and forth, just through good luck no horrible accident. For $100, dealer tells me trans is cooked. Found out via Internet this is a very common problem, in fact most people don't get as much use as we did. We took good care and was in beautiful condition prior to this incident. New trans -> $4800, Honda America refuses to help, they say warranty is 36,000 miles and I should be happy I got 160,000 miles. If I'd have known of this potential issue, I'd have sold it pronto while value was $5k.
Favorite Features
Pretty much worry-free till sudden catastrophic transmission failure at age 8 years. Now I feel lucky to be alive.
Suggested Improvements
Honda should repair these horrible transmissions which pose a safety hazard, and not bury its head in the sand, that's no way to treat your customers. If you own a 2003 Odyssey and trans hasn't failed, I suggest you get rid of it. You can google "2003 Honda Odyssey transmission" or look at NHTSA website for confirmation.