2003 Honda Odyssey Consumer Review: Love Car, Hate Transmission

2003 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Review

EX-L Passenger Minivan (3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic)

Love Car, Hate Transmission
By Matt on

2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this car second hand from a local Honda dealer, and until recently I considered it the best car I have ever owned. This was my first Honda and I was so impressed with it that when the time came to replace my commuter car I purchased a new Civic. This was until the tranny started to act strange. Soon after the dash warning lights come on. A trip to the local mechanic confirmed that the transmission is throwing three separate failure codes and will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Internet search has shown me that these failures are commonplace and that I got more life than most out my transmission. I expected more from Honda.

The interior room is great, you can fit 4 x 8 sheets of plywood in the back. Seats 7 comfortably. Handling is excellent for a vehicle this size. Engine is smooth and reliable.

Transmission failure rate is totally unacceptable. Given the number of model years affected there are obviously design issues with Honda's automatic transmissions. I will not consider purchasing another Honda until I am convinced these are resolved. Thank God my Civic is a manual shift.