2003 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Honda Known Quality - Not Quite
By Honda In Texas on 12/06/04 16:33 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been a Honda fan since 1990 - first Accord. I have had a total of five Honda's. Issues w/current 03 Odyssey: "engaging" noise w/back calipers (brakes) - Honda response: normal; "slipping" of transmission seems to be looking for first - Honda response: normal characteristic of new five speed transmission; "sputtering" when RPM between 1500 and 2000 - Honda response: EGR valve, replaced didn't help. Interior is awesome - got leather w/dvd; road noise still pronounced, but overall comfort very nice. Van has plenty of power; fuel economy not bad either (19 town and 26 on highway). Not very pleased at all w/customer service at Honda dealership - nothing seems to be Honda's fault!

Great Vehicle, not just a van
By TJ/SLC on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This minivan sets the standard that Toyota had to copy from to introduce its new Sienna. While we got an EX with 10" DVD player, it has been great for the 1-2 hour trips that we have taken. It has superb reliability and has only needed oil changes every 5000 miles. That's all we have done to it! Must get the black plastic rug protector for behind the third seat as milk or leaking meat can leave stains without it. Has great pickup even when fully loaded with 7 passengers. No 2003 van comes close to the standard set by Honda. By the way, we also have a 2003 Accord and love it as well. We are truly a Honda family. Wish I had done this years ago.

If you need performance, look no further
By Redstar3894 on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Odyssey is a great van mostly due to the 3.5L VTEC V6, the great sound system, & the carrying capacity. If you have to drive a minivan, the Odyssey is it, the performance even knocks out some sedans. The power sliding doors are also a very nice add-on. Honda has done a great job with this vehicle, and I hope they continue with it for a long time.

Luv my van!
By Momwith2kids on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought my van after my 2nd child was born. I have 2 in child car seats and love that both side doors open wfor easy access for getting them in and out. The 3rd rear seat flips back acting as a great changing table area. I've also used the floor in front of the 2nd seats to change diapers as there is enough space there too. Lots of cup holders. The rear seat hides in the trunk area giving lots of extra room back there for strollers. The trunk area is HUGE. The DVD player is great for occupying the kids. Leather is must with kids with all their crumbs and spills making it easy clean up. Lots of interior space to move around inside on long trips.

Overpriced & not economical
By Richie530 on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Honda vehicle. I have had an ongoing problem when I have to remove my foot from the gas pedal and the rpms drop between from 2 to about 1 1/2 the vehicle acts like it is going to cut off. I have had it worked on one time and am getting ready to take it back again. The only other issue I have at this time is the poor gas mileage. Due to the high price of gas I can barely afford the gas to drive it! I drive approximately 300 miles per week mostly city and I am spending $40-60 a week in gas. In addition to the payment I am car poor!!!!

unreliable, overpriced heap
By nscalia on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This will be my 2nd 2003 odyssey. The 1st had problems starting, the 2nd within 6 months the air conditioning went out now there's a problem with the electrical system, the "dinger" doesn't always ding when the key is in and the door is open and the interior lights click on and off as if there is a short. Honda is awful in "taking care" of their customers, they have a buyer's beware attitude, once you sign the line it's your problem, so what if you are paying for a vehicle that is in the shop more than it is on the road.

Noisy Cluncker! Not happy.
By AndrexP on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our van has been making clunking noise from the rear train since the day we bought it last year. The dealer explained that it is a characteristic of the rear brakes, and has no solution. Someting about the rear brake pads being free to move. Honda's solution is that the customer has to live with it. The service supervisor even xeroxed the page from the Honda service bulletin that said that you can make the customer go away by inserting a cut-up business card in the brake caliper. (e-mail me for a copy) They figure that this will silence the noise long enough for the customer to drive away! My 120,000+ mile Chrysler van never made any such noise.

So-So
By Race on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very dissatisified with the fuel mileage. 12 city and 16 highway. Our 94 Aerostar with all wheel drive did much better and would run circles around our Odyssey. Has developed a real bad clunking sound from the rear brakes/suspension. Typical dearlership babble, "they all do that". We have 22,000 miles on it now and it has developed several rattles, clunks and other loose sound from both the front and rear suspensions and other areas under the van. I have no doubt that the engine and drivetrain will last 250,000 miles or more, but I am wondering if the rest of the vehicle will last as long?

practical good looking van
By Heinz on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I can go to the park with my 2 kids , my wife and still have space for a baby carruage and a 12 volts toy car(for two kids. All that only took 7 minutes to load. I always like the body style.

LOVE MY ODYSSEY!!!
By BEACHWOMAN on 06/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

BOUGHT 2003 ODYSSEY LAST JUNE AFTER CHECKING AND TEST DRIVING SEVERAL MINIVANS. GREAT VEHICLE, VERY ROOMY, VERY DEPENDABLE, VERY WELL MADE AND VERY EASY TO MANEUVER. COULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT ANY BETTER; JUST LOVE MY ODYSSEY!!!