Used 2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Motor mount change not true
By jake

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Van is very reliable and useful whether you're hauling people or building materials. MPG is very poor though maybe needs a new tire. I read about motor mount issue on odyssey. I experienced the same thing when I brought to dealer for maintenance. The associate told me, I need to replace motor mount. I said no because it was expensive then brought van to a mechanic, turns out my motor mount is okay.

Favorite Features

lowered trunk is very handy

Suggested Improvements

MPG needs improvement. Motor on the back window needs to be more durable.

Bad Transmission
By Another Honda???

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This model year has several major limitations that you will consistently read about online. The transmission had a recall early after purchase and recently finally bit the dust completely. It's always had trouble changing gears, slipping and revving. All of the electric windows have broken and are outrageously expensive to repair. The engine block mounts have been repaired...also incredibly expensive and the brakes are in continuous need of replacement. Each maintenance appointment brings new issues.

Favorite Features

I have enjoyed the space and individual seats for each family member. The cargo capacity is great, although the seats are very heavy and cumbersome. This Honda has a lot of cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

If the transmission is a lemon then the entire item should be recalled.

Honest evaluation 2003 Honda Odyssey
By Enrique Cornejo

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very noisy inside the cabin. Not very good seats for long trips. Bad transmission. According with Honda, the transmission failed one year after new, in 2004. Even Honda admitted is a bad transmission, but they didn't do anything. Broke two (2) engine mounts (first time in my life). In my opinion, not as good as the publicity wants us to believe.

Favorite Features

Style

Suggested Improvements

The timing belt should be a chain belt, not rubber that you need to change at 80000 miles or so at a cost of $600.00. Isolate the cabin from road noise. Design better seats for at least 2 hours of driving without changing position over and over. Be honest with your clients!!!!!!!

Honda Quality gone south
By Steve

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had my Honda since new. Always did maintenance on schedule. At 57k miles had issue with A/C, turned out to be a Transistor issue. VERY common apparently as I found many complaints, but part was only $65 and replaced myself. Brought to dealer anyway only to find they recommended a timing belt change (not due for another 40k miles), bad tensioner and 2 broken motor mounts. All recommended service was around $2500... When questioning dealer about motor mounts, the reply was "they just get old and break". I have owned all my other Toyotas over 10years and NEVER had a motor mount just break due to age. This was my first Honda and will most likely be my last!

Favorite Features

Good drive and good highway mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of parts, price of repairs.

Poor Transmission Quality - Buyer Beware
By Jeremy

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After 88K miles, the transmission started slipping dangerously while my wife was driving with our two young children on the highway. Although the vehicle was serviced appropriately by a Honda dealer, so far, American Honda has been unable to provide any assistance on fixing the $5600 repair that I was quoted. Apparently, you need to have purchased 7-8 Honda's before they are willing to help, not spent $70K on Honda's over the last decade as I have done. Unless you want to have to pay for costly repairs to a 6 year old car with relatively low miles, avoid this vehicle (and all V6 models between 1999 and 2005) because there is a known defect with their transmissions.