2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Odyssey EX-L DVD review
By jsabowabo on 11/08/06 13:00 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've owned our Odyssey for about six months. This thing is fast and smooth. My wife loves it having come off a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is very comfortable, handles very well, rides well and is generally a lot of fun to drive. Since we've owned it we have had a couple of problems. The brake safety switch went out, locking the vehicle in park, and I've had to replace all of the rotors. We've been averaging about 18.5 MGP in combined city/freeway driving, with a bias towards city. Overall we love the van, you just can't beat the versatility of these things and still have something fun to drive.

On my 11th Honda
By Stephen in Idaho on 09/09/06 05:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Van new in October, 02 This is our second Odyssey. We have had 95,000 miles of reliability and comfort for my family. Best van for quality and price. Have had no issues with transmission except for recall to add a trans fluid pumping system, (one day at the Honda spa). Side doors track need to be lubricated and adjusted to so they opperate correctly. Seems to be more of an issue in the colder months.

A little disappointed
By Liz on 10/23/05 14:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had trouble with the tranny but they fixed it, but when backing up then putting on the breaks, I hear a lot of clatter. ??? The idle revs a lot so into the shop it goes. (twice now) The light on the clock went out so that means drop the van off at the dealer for one full day, again. The check engine light is annoying and I hate to have to put the van in park to open the side doors. Milage is horrible but I like the large vehicle so that's the price you pay. I probably won't buy Honda again because of the hassle in the repairs. After the 36,000 mile warrenty, I almost have to purchase the extension. Can't wait for that expense!

Great Vehicle, But One Complaint
By Mitchell Pak on 09/08/05 06:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased an '03 Odyssey EX-L in June of 2005. It was practically new (6000 miles). So far, we have put nearly 3000 miles on it, including a family trip to Pennsylvania, and it has been absolutely perfect. My only complaint with the Odyssey is that the interior is a little rattly. When the road is somewhat bumpy, quite common in NYC, the interior shimmies and shakes and rattles. I had a '97 Accord once and it never rattled like that. I don't know whether this is endemic with minivans or just my vehicle. Otherwise, its a great vehicle, fun to drive, plenty of power and with numerous amenities. Typical Honda. I rate it 8 out of 10 overall.

No more Hondas!
By al on 07/24/05 22:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned over 7 Hondas in the last 10 years and am thoroughly dissapointed with my 03 EX w/DVD. Only 37k to date All of this fun for a $29000 van: 1. Michelin tires-junk after 20k w/rotations. 2. replaced trans 2x 3. TCS light-intermittent 4. lt slider-came off the track 5. poor gas mileage 6. ck engine light-numerous occasions 7. battery after 2000 miles Next van will definitely not be a Honda.

Honda Quality?
By ycz on 05/20/05 14:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda simply does not live upon its reputaion for this van. Just list problems we have: 1)Replaced both front struts(1st month);2)A/C broken after 3 months;3)Replaced clock light;4)Idle control valve(idle speed up/down automatically);5)Rear break squeaks but Honda says it is normal; 6)Transmission failed at 15k. Having own few Toyotas, wanted to try Honda. What a disappointment!

Excellent van with few flaws
By BamaFlum on 05/12/05 12:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent value for the money. We bought to accomodate our two kids and after the purchase found out we were having a third! Fit and finish are superb. The engine is responsive and has lots of pep. Fuel economy is very poor (in the SUV range). One recall problem (tranny) fixed without any problems and our dealer was very professional about it(we never had any problems with the tranny). Van has lots of room and the rear storage area is cavernous. Auto doors can pinch little fingers, but we have learned to live with the quarks others have mentioned. Great van for a family.

Odyssey Transmission Plague
By jaybob on 04/09/05 23:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great van with one huge exception! Transmission failed at 22K new one on the way. A review of owner forums has revealed that this is an issue that Honda has either been able to fix or refuses (you would have think I purchased a Ford. I have read reviews that this is happening even with the 2005 model Odysseys. What gives Honda?

Our Odyssey Journey
By SoSoOdyssey on 04/08/05 17:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We were on the market for a minivan (replace 97 Mercury Villager) in 2003, and set to Odyssey since Sienna was redesigned and hot (months of waiting just like Odyssey few months ago). We got good price on the LX ($300 below invoice). The first month the van was back to dealership twice for both front struts. Few months later, the AC was broken, then the clock light. Last month, the engine speed went up and down (between 2000 to 4000) while idling. The dealer replaced the idle control unit. The rear brakes always make noise, but the dealer says it is normal. We now have 23k m on the van, it has been in shop SEVEN(7) times. We have never had any problem with our Toyotas and the Villager.

Doesn't live up to Honda quality
By Candice on 02/03/05 13:17 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in a Dodge Minvan and wish I hadn't. Found that this vehicle is very noisy. Unhappy with transmission dropping the gear due to recalled problem. Have gotten no help from several dealerships that don't think I know what I'm talking about and since they've installed the Honda "fix" they say that there isn't a problem. Husband drives a Pilot - that's very nice. Will be trading in soon (and can't wait). Will never buy and Odyssey again.