Used 2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews - 387 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Hindsight is 20/20
By Ms+Zee

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle @ 80K miles 9 mos. ago w/ 12K mile extended warranty. 93K miles tranny starts slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear. Then 1st and 2nd gear. No more extended warranty and Honda dealer says it's nothing they can do. This is absolutely ridiculous $4000 to have my tranny rebuilt and $6300 for brand new. I paid $10,000 for the car.

The interior size.

Fix the darn transmission and stop ripping people off. You made a mistake own up to it for Pete's sake. Seats are uncomfortable on long trips.

knock on wood- no problems here.
By mom2edna

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van new in '03. It now has 85k miles. After reading about the transmission problems that others are having I feel pretty lucky. i haven't had any big issues with mine. Just this past week the passenger power window motor broke $200 repair. The sliding doors act up sometimes, but it usually happens when children & adults are pushing the auto open buttons and door handles/locks at the same time. The only other issue I've had is the radio controls on the steering wheel. I can't lower the volume-when I hit the button the radio gets louder. I also don't like the seek/scan that they have on the wheel. It only scrolls thru your pre-set stations rather than all the stations.

power doors on both sides controlled on keychain. heated seats. 3rd row seat flips over for tailgate seating. instruments are laid out well. rear heat and a/c controlled up front or in the back. 2nd row captain chairs.

cupholders that kids in carseats can reach-the middle row cup holders are in bad spot. power 3rd row- seat is HEAVY, especially if its down in floor and you are a short person. Move front pwr outlet up, my long cord on my gps digs in the carpet. . larger sunglasses holder-none of mine fit.

Odyssey should have been more
By Cookie

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It all began with broken motor mounts at 90,000. Never heard of this. Transmission failed at 127,000 miles several months ago. Honda recommended a $4000 replacement of sealed transmission. Found someone who did the work for a lot less. It runs fine now. I was hoping to get 200,000 miles but I have my doubts that this car will last another 3 years. Seats are very uncomfortable for long drives. I always thought Hondas were the best but I have my doubts about them now.

Drives well. Very tight turning radius. Very zippy and responsive for a minivan.

Fix the transmission problems.

Still kickin' at 127k
By Bluestar

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall this van has been pretty good to us. We bought it new and had the transmission recall done immediately within a few months of buying I think. I have had the tranny fluid changed every 15k and flushed every 30k and never had a problem with it. The 3 stupid motor mounts needed to be replaced though at 90k covered under our 100k warranty thankfully. That seemed like a strange part to wear out. Rear main seal was leaking oil and just replaced at 120k. Engine has been bullet proof with just a timing belt/water pump service at 105k. We have been very satisfied with this vehicle.

Good mileage for a big vehicle, love the fold flat 3rd row seat. Great spacious kid hauler.

Change the motor mount design.

What problems?
By Christina H.

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Since the time I purchased my van I've NEVER had a single problem! When the recall for the transmission's second gear came up I took it in for repair immediately and it's run perfectly ever since. No lights came on unexpectedly, doors worked fine every time; I've always kept up with oil changes and yearly tune-ups; only invested in new brakes at 95,000 mi. (which was to be expected because I have a tendency to brake hard.)

Comfortable, great stereo, and heated back a plus!

Needed between-seat storage rather than "shelf" for items, or larger pull out storage in dash.