2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Here's how I see it!
By HARRY on 04/21/08 13:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Drive is smooth, Vehicle handles well, Design has a well done utility. Happy with overall look and feel of the 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Honda has lost it's superior service
By Stephanie on 04/10/08 11:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The transmission just went out on our vehicle with a price tag of $5100.00. There are documented transmission problems in the odyssey and the price tag is very excessive. We have done all scheduled maintenance and taken great care of the van. We have also had several electrical problems which have proven to be an enigma to Honda. My 2 year old was locked in the car in the heat of the summer due to locking problems with the car. Of course it took several months to prove to the dealer that there was indeed a problem. We have been loyal Honda/Acura drivers but are absolutely done with American Honda. Do not be taken advantage of by the high price tag's assurance of superior service.

2003 Honda Odyssey LX
By Arthur on 04/02/08 22:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

No major mechanical problems whatever in over 100,000 miles. Simple and smooth to drive. Enough power to carry quite heavy loads easily into the mountains. Extremely reliable.

A wonderful minivan!
By Kim on 02/24/08 10:39 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has an exceptional smooth ride and no real blind spots that I could detect. I have become a fan of the Odyssey since my first purchase in 2002. I don't think I would ever own any other vehicle. Overall, this vehicle has a high rating in both safety and comfort. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who has a large family and likes to travel or likes space and comfort.

So much space! Noisy ride.
By Karen on 10/30/07 04:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Spreading our family of 5 throughout this van was great, everyone had their own space! However we quickly noticed that this was a noisy ride - not the kids - from the paper thin doors and seals. I went on to complain about the maintenance involved w/the sliding doors & poor placement of the track. It sits just right for children to use as a step & continually fills with debris as they track the black lubricant all over your lovely new gray interior carpet. If you don't wipe down the track a few times a month not only is there a grit-crunch each time you close the door, but it leads to issues with the automatic safety features on the door. We really wished the side windows would open.

The Straight Scoop
By Busy Dad on 08/08/07 07:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Know what you are buying! This model has many positive features such as roomy, comfy, functional interior, good gas mileage compared to SUV's, and sufficient power to keep most everyone satisfied. However, it also has high incident rates for transmission failure, rear brakes noises, interior noise and various electrical issues with clocks and lights. Every vehicle has its weaknesses and this one is no exception. Some may get lucky and avoid any major problems. We have not been so lucky and have spent more than $7,000 on maintenance and repairs in the 18 months we have owned it. Don't assume the Honda nameplate means anything. You may get a quality vehicle, or you may end up with a lemon.

Good fast box
By J on 05/19/07 13:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you want an easy to handle, well built, relatively economical box to drive, the Honda Odyssey is it. Have owned for 4 years, taken many long trips (over 2000 miles each) and have performed only normal maintenance (tires, oil, battery). It is definitely fast enough to get out of its own way and is at ease on the highway or in the city.

Buyer Beware
By hondanomore on 04/24/07 13:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new and vehicle was fine until it got to 45,000. Transmission seals failed ($900). Dealer said out of warranty so you pay. Tranny's first scheduled service was 45,000. Dash board lights started to fail at 50,000. Now at 75,000 tranny is dead and must be replaced ($5,500). 34 years of car ownsership and never owned anything nearly this bad. Just glad my 12-year old Ford with 210,000 miles on it is reliable.

Nice Van
By Jeremy on 03/22/07 07:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am pleased overall. First the bad. This minivan has a lot more windnoise than any previous honda vehicle I've driven. The factory radio/cd player has poor sound quality. So consider getting an aftermarket unit. It also does not allow enough flexibility in the volume control. It's either way too loud or too soft... My wife and I love the strong engine, power sliding doors, and heated leather seats. It drives like a car, not like a van. I'm not sure why people are giving this bad marks for gas mileage. Mileage is very good for a minivan. I am consistently getting over 20 mpg in mixed driving....much better than SUV's..

Lemon
By Tom on 02/13/07 19:08 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Problems with EGR valve. Five trips to dealer to fix this (under warranty). Light in clock quit working. Engine started leaking oil at 63,000 miles (out of warranty). Honda dealer blamed it on a Wal-Mart oil change (not a fact based analysis). Changed the rear main seal and still leaked (Honda did cover this charge). Next recommendation was to change the engine at my expense ($2800). Dealer where the vehicle was purchased refused to do the repair after I asked for a guarantee that the engine change would fix the leak. No more Honda's at this house. Also the transmission now "clunks" when put into reverse to back out of the garage.