2003 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Disappointed
By jchilds on 08/30/10 21:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I turned in a Chrysler Town & Country lease to pick this Odyssey up because of it's reliable reputation. Wrong! I purchased it with 106,000 miles and the transmission went yesterday at 112,000 miles stranding my wife and three kids 200 miles from home. $3000 later it will be fixed, but I must say I am very disappointed. Also, the stereo is terrible. I regret not getting another Chrysler.

80,000 miles and gooing strong
By dave on 08/26/10 23:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought the 03 as a demo with 1400 miles on it. i bought the extended warranty,and it payed for the recall on the trans fix, at about 50,0000 miles the volatility joint went out,they fixed it. i had a little trouble with the car pulling to the right. honda fixed it. i bought the van in couer d'alene honda and have had the best of service.and would buy another car from them. i do not commute with the car,mostly long trips. 38,000 miles the first 10 months . i have seance towed a 24 ft airstream trailer almost 10,000 miles with no trouble. the car lives in a garage when not being used,and kept clean and always serviced ever 3 to 4000 miles. i have replaced the tires. should have 80,000 soon.

More and More Disappointing
By Steverino on 08/25/10 13:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

With a growing family, my wife and I bought a new Odyssey in 2003 and had to replace the transmission within a year (on recall). It's now at almost 190,000 miles and the 2nd tranny is shot. What makes this so disappointing is that we have taken very good care of the minivan, following Honda's maintenance schedule to the "T" with the dealer's service department --- "regular maintenance" for this vehicle has been to the tune of $1000 to $2000 PER YEAR. I've never heard of regular maintenance being so expensive for any other car. This minivan has proved over 6 years to be a very poor value --- we now wish that we had paid a little extra up front and bought the Toyota Sienna instead!

Great Vehicle
By BertD on 08/14/10 06:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new 7 years ago, will turn over 180k next week. Better fuel economy now than when new. Not uncommon to hit 25 mpg and it gets DRIVEN, mostly by my wife . Brake life incredible, tire life fantastic! No repairs, only recommended maintenance. If only we could tow it, 4 wheels down, behind our motor home it would be perfect. My wife will cry when she has to give it up. Going to look at a new CR-V today.

Transmission Trouble
By Scott on 06/19/10 04:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission goes out about every 50,000 miles, so far 3 in 150,000 miles. Honda replaced, ate the cost the first time. Looking to dump this thing. Power sliding door also quit working a while ago.

Still Wish I Had It
By Billw on 05/12/10 12:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just had my '03 EX-L totaled Monday. Had 122K on it, never a mechanical problem. Transmission recall done. Towed jet ski's, 21' Maxxum boat 150+ miles in Ozarks for years. Never a problem. Had problems with passenger sliding door. Had intermittent problems with steering wheel audio controls. Cabin was nosier than I'd prefer, but was bearable. Consistently achieved 25+ mpg on highway across I- 70 with family (4 persons) and luggage. Good in rain/snow for what it was; for lacking today's modern safety equipment. Motor mounts were suggested by dealer to be changed out at 90K, but independent mechanic said they were fine, showing some wear, but, didn't need to be replaced.

Transmission failure
By eddie on 04/19/10 12:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

99k miles before transmission failed. Bought new late 2004. No warranty, no luck. Others worldwide with same problem. I know for a fact, 2003 extends its transmission failure, not just the media reported for 2000 through 2002. Caveat Emptor.

Honda Odyssey 2003 EXL
By tdoalamo on 04/06/10 20:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wonder what the new 2011 Honda Odyssey looks like. But couldn't wait until the fall. My kid needs to go vacation in the summer and the 2003 Honda Odyssey I have had way too old. Got broken transmission @ 120,000 miles. Now leaking steering wheel oil, just fixed it. Too much wind noise and road noise when driving a Honda car. I already looked at the 2011 Toyota Sienna and love it so much, quiet drive and interior room is awesome. Will go with the Toyota Minivan then 2011 Sienna.

Love Car, Hate Transmission
By Matt on 03/27/10 10:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this car second hand from a local Honda dealer, and until recently I considered it the best car I have ever owned. This was my first Honda and I was so impressed with it that when the time came to replace my commuter car I purchased a new Civic. This was until the tranny started to act strange. Soon after the dash warning lights come on. A trip to the local mechanic confirmed that the transmission is throwing three separate failure codes and will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Internet search has shown me that these failures are commonplace and that I got more life than most out my transmission. I expected more from Honda.

Motor Mounts/Transmission Trouble Dont
By HondaNO on 03/12/10 13:12 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Always had the recommended maintenance done. One motor mount broke early on. The other one went out at 90,000 miles = $2,500. The transmission went out at 96,000 miles over $4,000 to repair. Timing belt $980. Thought Hondas were reliable. From this site I see that it can be relied on to have costly repairs starting at around 80,000 miles. (I didn't list the previous problems just the most recent.) Has always had a lot of road noise as well as many rattles.