Used 2003 Honda Odyssey LX Minivan Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

would buy 3 more
By Lou Rock

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

look everything over before buying its been great to me I love it!!!!

garbage
By moparman90

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

we have had this thing for 6 months we bought with 120,000 miles... 3 days later the transmission blew out on me... then here we are 8,000 miles later and the transmission is shot again WTF... the heated seats dont work half the time it has no EVIC and thats just stupid for a 2003... it is just AWFUL in the snow with good tires... the clock on the dash doesnt light up another stupid thing... the battery went i had to take the thing in just to get the factory radio set... i have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee with 225,000 miles never had ANY mojor problems i will try to convince her to sell this crap box and get a jeep... my jeep in 2wd is better than this thing with front wheel drive DONT BUY

An Excellant family vehicle
By rporterincincy

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really like my 2003 Honda Odyssey. It now has 143,000 miles and runs like it's brand new. Very smooth, powerful and dependable. Like any other car it does have some quirks. My Odyssey goes through tires every 35,000 miles (wears evenly, and I rotate them every 3000-6000 miles), and goes through front brakes every 40,000 miles (evenly worn brakes). I just installed top of the line ceramic brakes to see if this would improve the ride.
My car has no rust (wax every 3-4 months), no wear on the interior, and I change the oil every 3,000 miles. My dealer is great and I like working with them. The car is very versatile and we enjoy going on trips with it. No major issues yet.

Update: Now that the car has 172,000 miles on it. I had replaced the brakes with Duralast top of the line ceramic pads and top of the line rotors. Getting excellant wear out of both front and rear (about 29k miles on the brakes and they still look new). Overall mileage is about 20 (city/hwy mixed) with highway mileage frequently at 24 mpg (running 75-80 mph). Still runs like brand new, still looks great. No wear on the interior except some stains in the storage area (mulch, trees, etc.). Still have the original struts, and no sign of wear on them. Still has plenty of power, very reliable. This has become the family favorite for trips due to the room, comfort, and quietness.

I have a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan as a company car and found that the Odyssey is smoother, easier to get in and out, (seats are lower), has better visibility, is more comfortable, though the Dodge has the edge over this 2003 Honda in power (183 vs. 145) and the fuel mileage is higher in the Dodge (23 overall with mostly highway driving). The Dodge has a 6 speed trans. vs. the Honda 5. The Dodge also eats brakes. I'd prefer a Honda Odyssey as a company car, but it was not my choice.

Even though mini-vans are not supposed to be cool anymore, I have to say that this is the perfect family car. It's versatile, comfortable, roomy, can handle a huge amount of cargo, especially with the seats down or out, but within minutes can haul a total of 7. It's fast, gets good fuel economy, insurance rates are low (Odysseys are apparently one of the safest vehicles on the road- fatalities per million miles is 0. One of only 6 to achieve this, according to a recent article on car safety). I would certainly buy it again. I do prefer the looks of the 2003 and 2006 to the current Odyssey though, but that is my personal opinion.

Not the quality of Toyota
By dharrin

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car in late '06, have put 85k miles since. Every year the repairs total approximately 1000.(in addition to regular maintenance). I found out this car has a coil for each cylinder. Brakes are noisy. Piddly electrical problems also. So far, the trans hasn't died, but is slipping a little. It doesn't hold an alignment very long. The ride is very comfortable and fits all five kids and their stuff. The ride is good, seats are comfy even on 1600 mile round trips to relatives. It is pretty good in No. New England snow. Avg 27 mpg on highway trips/17 in town. I doubt it will make it another year.

lots of room, carries kids and their stuff. ride is nice. engine has moderate power. gauges/dials easy to read. seats are good, even on long rides. I like the 3rd seat - folds into floor. heater works well.

windows on sliding doors could open. I wish I could say this was built to last.

Honda LX
By Rusty

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased vehicle with $19K, 2nd owner. Replaced transmission right away. Overall vehicle has been pretty good. Can't believe though it did not have CD player. Strangest thing happened all my locks gummed up on me. Had to replace the locks on the van and not cheap to do that over $500 dollars. Rear wiper motor went at $100K mi. Body has help up great. Can be a little uncomfortable in the drivers seat if you have the manual seats and not the power seats.

body integrity, folding rear seats, was the first of that generation

CD player