2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
80,000 miles and gooing strong
By dave on 08/26/10 23:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought the 03 as a demo with 1400 miles on it. i bought the extended warranty,and it payed for the recall on the trans fix, at about 50,0000 miles the volatility joint went out,they fixed it. i had a little trouble with the car pulling to the right. honda fixed it. i bought the van in couer d'alene honda and have had the best of service.and would buy another car from them. i do not commute with the car,mostly long trips. 38,000 miles the first 10 months . i have seance towed a 24 ft airstream trailer almost 10,000 miles with no trouble. the car lives in a garage when not being used,and kept clean and always serviced ever 3 to 4000 miles. i have replaced the tires. should have 80,000 soon.

More and More Disappointing
By Steverino on 08/25/10 13:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

With a growing family, my wife and I bought a new Odyssey in 2003 and had to replace the transmission within a year (on recall). It's now at almost 190,000 miles and the 2nd tranny is shot. What makes this so disappointing is that we have taken very good care of the minivan, following Honda's maintenance schedule to the "T" with the dealer's service department --- "regular maintenance" for this vehicle has been to the tune of $1000 to $2000 PER YEAR. I've never heard of regular maintenance being so expensive for any other car. This minivan has proved over 6 years to be a very poor value --- we now wish that we had paid a little extra up front and bought the Toyota Sienna instead!

Transmission Trouble
By Scott on 06/19/10 04:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission goes out about every 50,000 miles, so far 3 in 150,000 miles. Honda replaced, ate the cost the first time. Looking to dump this thing. Power sliding door also quit working a while ago.

Transmission failure
By eddie on 04/19/10 12:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

99k miles before transmission failed. Bought new late 2004. No warranty, no luck. Others worldwide with same problem. I know for a fact, 2003 extends its transmission failure, not just the media reported for 2000 through 2002. Caveat Emptor.

Motor Mounts/Transmission Trouble Dont
By HondaNO on 03/12/10 13:12 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Always had the recommended maintenance done. One motor mount broke early on. The other one went out at 90,000 miles = $2,500. The transmission went out at 96,000 miles over $4,000 to repair. Timing belt $980. Thought Hondas were reliable. From this site I see that it can be relied on to have costly repairs starting at around 80,000 miles. (I didn't list the previous problems just the most recent.) Has always had a lot of road noise as well as many rattles.

Still kickin' at 127k
By Bluestar on 12/30/09 21:53 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall this van has been pretty good to us. We bought it new and had the transmission recall done immediately within a few months of buying I think. I have had the tranny fluid changed every 15k and flushed every 30k and never had a problem with it. The 3 stupid motor mounts needed to be replaced though at 90k covered under our 100k warranty thankfully. That seemed like a strange part to wear out. Rear main seal was leaking oil and just replaced at 120k. Engine has been bullet proof with just a timing belt/water pump service at 105k. We have been very satisfied with this vehicle.

Transmission Beware!
By ALS on 10/22/09 10:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved this van! I do a lot of driving as a taxi mom of three children-135,000 miles to be exact. Then, I had three lights appear on the dash that indicated that the transmission was going out. I got a quote for $3500 from Honda and $2800 from a local transmission guy. The local guy told me that the month before I talked to him that he replaced more Honda transmissions than GM cars. Honda doesn't make the cars that they used to. Quite frankly, they don't care because they are selling plenty of vehicles. Please investigate this before making the same mistake that I did.

Honest evaluation 2003 Honda Odyssey
By Enrique Cornejo on 09/14/09 05:23 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very noisy inside the cabin. Not very good seats for long trips. Bad transmission. According with Honda, the transmission failed one year after new, in 2004. Even Honda admitted is a bad transmission, but they didn't do anything. Broke two (2) engine mounts (first time in my life). In my opinion, not as good as the publicity wants us to believe.

Honda Quality gone south
By Steve on 09/13/09 20:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had my Honda since new. Always did maintenance on schedule. At 57k miles had issue with A/C, turned out to be a Transistor issue. VERY common apparently as I found many complaints, but part was only $65 and replaced myself. Brought to dealer anyway only to find they recommended a timing belt change (not due for another 40k miles), bad tensioner and 2 broken motor mounts. All recommended service was around $2500... When questioning dealer about motor mounts, the reply was "they just get old and break". I have owned all my other Toyotas over 10years and NEVER had a motor mount just break due to age. This was my first Honda and will most likely be my last!

Poor Transmission Quality - Buyer Beware
By Jeremy on 08/13/09 10:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After 88K miles, the transmission started slipping dangerously while my wife was driving with our two young children on the highway. Although the vehicle was serviced appropriately by a Honda dealer, so far, American Honda has been unable to provide any assistance on fixing the $5600 repair that I was quoted. Apparently, you need to have purchased 7-8 Honda's before they are willing to help, not spent $70K on Honda's over the last decade as I have done. Unless you want to have to pay for costly repairs to a 6 year old car with relatively low miles, avoid this vehicle (and all V6 models between 1999 and 2005) because there is a known defect with their transmissions.