Going for 300,000+ miles
By seanstr on
2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I really enjoy DRIVING this van and I really drive it very hard for a minivan. What sold me was the sporty driving it provides. If you like a soft cushy ride with no driver feedback from the steering and suspension, then this van is NOT for you. If you like power, agility and sporty car like feel and ride, then you'll be right at home behind the wheel. I travel WV and all I'll say is it will hang a curve. * VAN: The back windows quit working, probably cause I never open them and are stuck, other than that everything still works inside as it should. The van still looks very good inside and out. Did the 100K service at 200k but had to replace the A/C compressor at 240k. continued belo
Favorite Features
cont: about 220k it started to leak oil. Had to have dealer pig putty engine block ($700) 02-04 engine defect common, google it to understand it. That's all major issues* I'm a sales rep and need the room of a minivan for all my stuff. I bought it used with 11k miles certified from a dealer. The transmission was recalled and at 70k replaced with factory rebuild. The rebuild now has over 208k miles (yes that's 278k+ on van). The only mod that I've done to the van is putting a large aftermarket transmission cooler on it at recall. I usually do this with all my automatics immediately but hey it's a Honda (my first).
Suggested Improvements
AWD, AWD, AWD !!! Make a van, not a crossover that can tow 5000lbs. Then I can get rid of my Yukon. Sometimes, I tow my boats, big and small with my Odyssey. It has no problem pulling them. WET boat ramps, snow, and rain is where AWD will come in handy for me, therefore, I'm leaving Honda. This is the only reason why I'm going to a 2011 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD. I'm really going to miss the sporty feel from my old Odyssey. I know the Sienna is a great van but I'm not wild about how it drives especially with the electric steering. Overall it's been a great van.
By ppei
on 03/19/12 10:55 AM (PDT)

Can you tell me exactly the transmission cooler that you bought? I am thinking of getting one installed. I have not had to replace the transmission but I am trying to prevent it from happening. Thanks.