Used 2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

After 130k miles
By Adam

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new 11/2001. At the tranny recall they said it was ok and put additive in the fluid. All maintenance has been done on time including the $1750 timing belt / spark plugs at 100k miles. The transmission has always been funky, sometimes slips to 1st and you have to stay off the gas and slow down to get it going again. While the tranny is junk, it still works and it's the original one. No other problems whatsoever. F/R break pads replaced only once, tires replaced only once and are probably good for another 20k. I find that when the trans gets more finicky, if I run it hard (floor it 0 to 60mph+), it then works without major issue for another couple weeks.

Favorite Features

Room - 145cu ft. or something with 2nd row seats removed.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. Also, the car has a really noisy ride. Despite my relative good luck, I will never buy another Honda anything.

Excellent except transmisison
By Dave

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this van early in 07 with between 70 and 80,000 miles. It was really clean and nice. It drives and handles nice. However just a couple weeks ago while driving on the highway the transmission started acting up. We took it in to get checked out and now we have to rebuild the transmission and hand over another 3 thousand dollars. I was very disappointed -definitely not what I expected from a Honda and for the year, mileage and price we paid for it, this should not be happening. Only other complaint is the sliding doors. They are slow and can't be stopped midway. If the electric is off for some reason or the doors are stuck they are very, very hard to operate.

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seat.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission -obviously and sliding doors. Adding a 3rd middle row seat would be nice. Fuel economy is not very good.

Transmission problems @ 41000 miles
By tmock13

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased new back in Jan. 2002 and have faithfully followed the necessary scheduled maintenance. But guess what, with only 41200 miles, the transmission needs to be rebuilt. The check engine light came on and the code came up p0730 "incorrect gear ratio". Dealer told me that there is no extended warranty, as assumed by many people. The extended warranty applies only to 1999-2001 odyssey. The standard 3 year/36000 miles applies to my case which I no longer qualify. Dealer was quoting me $5000 to $6000 for a new transmission. I brought it to AAMCO and grudgingly handed over $3004 to rebuild transmission with a 12 months warranty. Again, what happen to Honda quality?!

Favorite Features

The comfort, spaciousness, and versatility are the pros for this van.

Suggested Improvements

Honda needs to wake up and extend their warranty on the transmissions to the 2002 to 2004 Odysseys. The 1999 to 2001 Odysseys have the same defective transmissions as the 2002 to 2004 vans. Why are certain years covered and not the other years?? Honda 02 Odyssey is definitely NOT RECOMMENDED by me.

Love my Odyssey
By pebe98

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this van for 4 yrs after buying it from my mother-in-law. Somebody backed into the van, then pulled forward and backed into it again, and the only problem I have with paint is some peeling of clear cover on the driver's door probably due to shoddy repair because the rest of the van is perfect. I have NEVER had a problem with the transmission and have never been stranded while driving a Honda. While highway driving and the wind is in the right direction, there is a howl that would make a dog cry. The horn is nice and LOUD and shrill (especially nice when people pull out in front of you and their window is down).

Favorite Features

I love the fact that this van has a motor and can get up and go at a moment's notice. I like the homelink feature and the dual controls for rear air.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder in the front tray is absolutely useless. The only flaw any of my Hondas have.

166,000 miles and going
By Brian

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have three cars with over 120,000 miles and the Honda Odyssey has been the most expensive to maintain in the past two years; however, it has been the car we have put the most miles on. We recently replaced the alternator and it seems to eat through brake pads, but no major major problems (like tranny). Many of our repairs in the past year are first time ever fixes. Very nice van still that we will continue to drive.

Favorite Features

Room and how well Honda uses space. We loan out our van to family members quite a bit.

Suggested Improvements

I wouldn't mind some of the updated features but we have the EX-L and it has survived time and a lot of miles very well.