2002 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews 6

2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Great Van, Bad Transmission
By james on 07/23/05 21:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I previously drove an Acord for 7 years before buying the van. I expected the same reliability. Boy,was I wrong. The sliding door gets jammed frequently. That started around 38,000 miles. The transmission is shot at 69,000 miles. Too bad because this will be my last Honda. Good luck to the new owners. Keep your fingers crossed that the transmission problems have been solved. A very, very expensive repair.

Been Good to Me
By Rich on 06/17/05 20:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the pick up and comfort.Love the roominess. Excellent gas mileage even loaded and with A/C on. Great A/C and great for cruising long distances. Mine had been all over the US & Canada. Had Trans problems @ 98,000 miles (can't really complain about that) had the extended warranty so they put brand new one in with no hesitation. Only real complaint is a whistling noise at about 90MPH, tap the down window button quick and it goes away. I'd consider another one but with the kids gone don't need that big of a vehicle. Maybe a CRV

Bad Transmission
By Enrique Muyshondt on 05/05/05 14:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle new, for my wife in November of 2001 the minivan has 27000 miles, and the transmission went bad had to be replaced, fortunately the warranty was still in force. The Honda had a recall for the transmission in July 2004 for a KIT OIL JET that was replaced. The transmission went bad in March 2005 and had to be replaced. The automatic climate control does not operate properly in full auto. The brakes make a clicking noise when you back up the car. I was given a flyer that this was normal for Hondas, later on the brake pads were replaced on 07/04

honda hype
By mad in rincon on 01/21/05 14:38 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have never owned a Honda before thisvan. I will never own another. We've had the belt tensioner recalled, the transmission problem with the second gear fixed, a sliding door broken radio control on the steering fixed and now the warranty is up. 300 miles past and now the SRS system failed and we have to pay over $600 to fix it. Dropping the car off with a family of 5 and no courtesy car is a great inconvenience. Don't believe the Honda hype on this car!

Tales of the Transmisson- The AL. Saga
By oddy_no on 01/03/05 22:45 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Looks like I am not alone in my transmission woes. At 44k the trans is starting to jerk and pull at 50-60 MPH. Did the recall thing. Also, A/C is out and the dealership wants $150. Called Honda customer service and waiting to see what happens. I did get a free EGR valve, :-) and told I was given Honda's "Good Faith Deal". I guess they really see me coming. I'm slowly but surely learning, buy many thanks to the other reviewers for stepping up to the plate and sharing. Very good info. Like previous reviewers, beware after 36k miles. It starts to fall apart...literally.

HONDA RELIABILITY?
By koobii on 12/12/04 20:21 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Odyssey because it is slightly bigger than the Sienna. BIG MISTAKE! Vibrate at around 40-60mph. Not tires. Balance new tires 3X. ALL dash lights come on intermittenly. Trac and engine lite stayed on. Cost $168 to replace an evap. After checking google, found out this van has 3 recalls, one has to do with 2nd gear. Honda advisor said, that should fix tranny problem. Had the Odyssey for 2 months, I don't trust this van on a long trip. Will get rid of it before I have to put lots of money into it since Honda will not warranty the tranny as they do on the 99-01 Odyssey (100K). Own Honda/Acura cars before, never any problems. Will buy another Toyota. Never had problems.

I will never buy a Honda Odyssey again
By I've had it! on 11/27/04 21:16 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Odyssey for almost three years now and I regret I ever bought it. My wife wanted the Chrysler Town and Country and I convinced her that Chrysler had a bad reputation of making unreliable vehicles. But after all the problems we had with this Odyssey, I think we should have gotten the Chrysler instead it might have been the same headaches but it would have been far cheaper after the rebates. We've had so many problems, from a failing transmission to recalls after recalls; tranny, pcm, etc. In addition, we've had so many noises and other problems that it not even funny -- trust me, we tried to laugh about it!

So far so good..
By 1st van owner on 11/11/04 13:02 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased our first minivan a few weeks ago from a reputible Honda dealer. Had 39500 miles so we got the "certified honda warranty" good for 10yrs/100000 on the powertrain and 12months/12000 on everything else. About day 4 of owning we noticed a shimmy/whining in the front end when applying the brakes. Took to our Honda dealer and was told the brakes and rotors were replaced when the vehicle was certified. The brakes were shot. We were asked if when we drive, do we ride with our foot on the brake. NO ! They agreed to replace without a problem, and so far 700 miles later everything seems fine. No smells,smimmies, or whines from the front end. Overall we're VERY pleased thus far. Great ride !

Honda Odyssey = Transmission problems
By Done w/Honda 4 ever on 11/10/04 00:05 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

dont be fooled by all the glowing reviews on this minivan. yes it has many features and comforts but so do other models and they come without all the issues that plague this vehicle. two main components of any automobile are engine,and transmission design flaws material defects etc. in these major components usually result in a constant repair battle for the life of the vehicle as is the case for the honda odyssey my tranny was replaced at 40k and then the 2nd tranny was pulled and inspected under a honda recall last summer. I just got another recall notice 11/04 reguarding more tranny issues. dont walk run far away from this honda. other failed components dvd screen, driver seat.

Transmission Problems
By OddChicago on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Nice Car, Too bad Honda could not design a decent transmission for it. Mine has ~43000 miles on it and the tranny is slipping, shifting from 2nd - 3rd. The tranny recall work was done earlier this year and it is still going out! A Google Search on the internet for "2002 Odyssey Transmission Problems" tells me that I am not alone.