Used 2002 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 272 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Vastly over-rated
By Michael

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Do NOT buy this car! Too much cheap interior plastic that peels off, plastic bumper covers that scratch when you look cross-eyed at them. Electric doors that open/close when they want, not when you want. Un-padded carpeting will kill your knees when putting luggage in the back. Folding rear seat hooks stick out of sides and eliminate 4 inches of space for sliding things in. And a transmission that only lasts 120,000 miles!

It holds 7 people.

Put paint into the plastic, so that scratches will not show. Fix the dam' doors, allow closing of doors while car is in motion. Get rid of the door alarm. Put a better transmission in it. Put padding under the carpeted area in the back.

The worst car and service ever
By Annie

2002 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Odyssey, but it started having transmission problems within 12k miles. I went to have the transmission replaced in Boise after moving (The dealer in Los Angeles told me it was under warranty)and Boise refused. Later Honda corporate refused the repair. So much for a "warranty". I will never buy from Honda again. Given the initial price and subsequent repairs/tires, I would say a 2002 Odyssey isn't worth the price to have it junked. Given the perpetual check engine light and TCS light, I have a mind to abandon it at Honda Corp.

DVD

Great Van!
By T Riggs

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is our 2nd odyssey since 2000. We have been very happy with our Honda van. The only negative is that it is not very quiet on the road. I expected not to hear much road noise with this priced van. Should also have had backup sensors for the price. The entertainment package has given us no trouble and is still going strong after 71/2 years. You do have to put a new timing belt in at 105000 miles.

Comfort, CD player and entertainment system.

Less noise on HWY. Should have backup sensors. Different cup holders in front.

Old Reliable
By LNMom

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just passed 116K on my 2002 Odyssey. Still on original engine and transmission. Not a fancy van by any means, but great for our family. My husband actually likes driving it almost as much as his Lexus LS. Considering it is a minivan, it has great handling and is very comfortable. Lots of cargo space. Mostly minor repair issues like batteries and the struts on the liftgate. Otherwise, a really solid car.

Drives great, comfortable driver's seat, tons of cup holders. The I added an armrest storage bin and cargo liner which are great. A/c front and back is great.

Outside temperature gauge, split rear seat

Great used van
By Jason

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just bought a 2002 Odyssey with 125,000 miles. The van can carry seven in comfort. The rear seat is best for kids, because of the narrow access. The power sliding doors ease ingress and egress. It can be hard to hear what someone is saying in the 3rd row because of road noise. Tires may help. The Odyssey has very good acceleration, even in hilly San Diego. The van handles very well for a vehicle this size. I would call it a sport van if such a thing exists. These models are known for transmission problems. I installed a transmission filter and cooler, and made sure the shift solenoid screens were clear. We get around 23 on the highway and 18 around town. I recommend this van.

Space, Performance, Handling