2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
By tefarmer on 05/03/07 12:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

On the whole this has been a good vehicle. I pull a small cargo trailer with it and am having transmission problems even though it has had all of the Honda services required and I have Honda House change the transmission fluid each fall.

Love this van!
By SpencersMom on 02/17/07 07:16 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this when our children were 1 and 3. They are now 5 and 7 and we have never regretted this purchase. We have had some weird problems with it, such as the driver's seat belt coming unattached from the floor but the dealership fixed it without charge and checked all the other seatbelts. They were all loose at the floor level. The paint is chipping a bit around the doors and some tiny rust spots are starting to appear. Considering that we live in an area that rarely sees snow (thus no salt or sand on the road), this concerns us. Overall, though, this is the best car decision we've ever made. Even trips of over 1,000 miles are easy on the kids it's so comfortable.

trade in for a new odyssy
By c.m. poague on 05/11/06 12:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very comfortable, good handling, sits up high and easy to see out while driving. The back seat is comfortable to sit on. The cargo space and fold down third seats are very handy.

Honda = Reliable?
By DK on 01/26/06 16:37 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this van as used at 37k right off factory warranty expires. Dealer recommanded "extended" warranty but i owed other hondas and did not think i needed one. Now i kinda regret it. About a day after the purchase, i noticed a high pitch noise coming from somewhere in engine bay. Took it to the dealer and they said it is Bad tranny and it needs to be replaced. Fortunately, Honda covered it by honda's good will warranty. Bad thing was dealer did not put enought tranny oil and i had to go back to get it fixed. 2 weeks later. ball bearing on left front went out. spent $200 to fix it. Since it has been about 20,000 miles, and so far no problem.. well hope it would last^^

02 Odyssey
By laburn77 on 01/23/06 22:34 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 02 Ody EX with 79K miles and 10K later I am happy with my decision. Had to replace EGR for $100 but that was pretty minor. Averaging about 21 MPG which is decent. Roomy and folding 3rd row seat is the best.

Honday Odyssey
By Bill on 01/05/06 13:54 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Disappointed with highway mileage, getting 21 consistantly, thought 25 would be realistic. The pivot point on the seats reclining feels like someone is stuffing a pillow into your lower back, some like some don't. Road noise is higher than expected, especially on a windy day. Not wind leaks but wind travelling around the vehicle, not as quiet as the 98 Plymouth Voyager we had. Some of the road noise could be the tires that were on the vehicle when purchased, planning on changing those. Transmission does a lot of shifting around 35 - 40 like it's not sure what gear to be in.

bad tramissions in 2002
By Debbie on 11/17/05 22:49 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The first transmission went out at 36,600 miles. Honda installed a new Honda remanufacturered transmission with another 36,000 mile warranty. Approximately 3000 miles later the transmission went out again. Now my lease is almost up and the 3rd transmission is starting to slip again. The dealer said that Honda is aware that they have problems with the transmissions for this year so I was shocked it was in the top 10 used car list. Prior to this van I had a Toyota Sienna van and I liked that van way more than this one. It had a much better ride by alot and I never had any mechanical problems. The Honda has a very tight feel and every bump jars you. I was very dissatisfied.

Be Aware Tranny Recall
By Matt on 09/13/05 17:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had the vehicle a few months and started having tranny problems (not catching going from 2nd to 3rd gear). This model (and similar Honda vehicles) have a recall on the transmission...it has to have a kit installed or the tranny replaced. Other than that, we've been satisfied, it's very peppy compared to the Windstar I used to have. The engine is much quieter too, although, on the road it doesn't seem remarkably quiet.

Solid Reliability
By bill on 08/08/05 00:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the Nav Model new and have only needed lube changes in 90k miles. The brakes are still good. The GPS is easy to use and very useful but has tricked me sometimes. I have few complaints but am thinking about a new Mini van now and dazzled by the high tech sizzle of the Quest but concerned about some of the negative reviews. But then this model of Ody has attracted far more complaints and I have had scant concern in the 90 k I have driven. My Ody drives like it is almost broken in and ready for more action but Oh!!! the Quest's sleak, sporty, gizmo laden, futuristic, earthbound space shuttle appeal quickens the heart of a true technofile. I hope I luck out and get as good as my Oddy.

Great Van, Bad Transmission
By james on 07/23/05 21:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I previously drove an Acord for 7 years before buying the van. I expected the same reliability. Boy,was I wrong. The sliding door gets jammed frequently. That started around 38,000 miles. The transmission is shot at 69,000 miles. Too bad because this will be my last Honda. Good luck to the new owners. Keep your fingers crossed that the transmission problems have been solved. A very, very expensive repair.