Used 2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Most Helpful|
Transmission?
By Jason

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just found out that the transmission in this van is bad at 110,000 miles. Honda dealer wanted $5500 to repair with a rebuilt transmission. They also told me the front engine mount is collapsed. The total repair bill to fix everything and have the 105,000 mile service done is $7,400! After looking at these other reviews I now see I bought a vehicle that is poor quality. I have owned Honda vehicles for the past 15 years. However, this will be the last.

Favorite Features

Interior is very nice and durable. Power sliding doors.

Suggested Improvements

Build a transmission that works.

Not what I Expected
By Anita Louise

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a 2002 Odyssey.Packed well for hurricane evacuations; great space for 5 dogs,2 cats, 2 birds with supplies; however, very disappointed. Early on, at 3000 miles the engine block cracked and was replaced ; twice the driver rear window power motors stopped working and almost as soon as the extended warranty was out, the other window motor quit working. Seat belt replaced; transmission went out at 70,000; lots of road noise, driver door lock broke and was replaced with a lock not compatible to key for other door locks;rubber bumpers for sliding doors have completely MELTED off the hinge. Am looking at other options for a vehicle. Mileage steady 20/23; city/hwy.

Favorite Features

storage area is flat; rear seat folds into floor

Suggested Improvements

less road noise, more consistency in making a product to last 200,000 or more; interior paneling that won't scratch up if something rubs against it. that fiberglass stuff nicks very easily.

Very Nice
By John

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned the van for 9 years and put 61k miles on it. At 50,000 miles I had all the fluids, including the transmission, changed out. I have maintained it very well and am very pleased with it. Absolutely no transmission problems.

Favorite Features

Room, Power & Reliability

Suggested Improvements

Outside air temperature gauge

Love My Odyssey
By juds

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Honda. It drives beautifully and handles well. I had two Plymouth Voyagers previously and drove one for 10 years. The Odyssey suspension is tighter that the Voyager and I had to get used the tha. It sure does handle well on the curves. I did have small problems with the interior such as plastic parts falling off which of course were fixed free. Also had a problem with the sliding door lock on the drivers side but other than that it has done well. Did have a recall recently to check the transmission which REALLY surprised me since that was one BIG reason why I chose Honda over the Dodge. Mine had nothing wrong with it though.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the fold down back seat which is why I bought Honda instead of the Dodge Caravan. No more lugging those awful seats into the garage.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see a rear-gate automatic lift. Am getting to the age where lifting the rear gate is getting harder.

Bad Transmission
By ml4416

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is worst van ever own. Transmission dead at 100k miles and cost $5k to fixed transmission. Lots of road noisy on highway and very uncomfortable especially driver seat. Also, under power.

Favorite Features

Dual power doors

Suggested Improvements

More power and better Transmission.