2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Avoid this vehicle
By Kanigetts on 08/21/10 13:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This van has been a terrible disappointment for us. There are so many small problems and a number of really big ones. The transmission is simply junk and Honda cannot fix it. Their rebuilt transmissions are no better. Parts are extremely expensive, more than my BMW. I had a 1992 Prelude which was great but apparently Honda has gone the way of Ford in terms of reliability. Time to try one of the Korean makers.

Served Us Well
By Served us well on 08/09/10 17:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the van new and after about 13 months noticed a noise in the transmission. The local dealer where we purchased the van replaced the transmission without a problem under warranty. We now have 158,000 miles and no problems. The van has served us well despite the minor issues stated in other posts such as sticky sliding doors in cold, wet weather and very hot weather. A light coating of silicone on the weatherstripping has always helped. The only other issue we have had is the remote headphones for the entertainment system stopped working at about 125,000 miles. Other than these issues we have been pleased with the van.

odyssey
By vtecrazy on 06/27/10 09:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

i love odysseys especially because of the vtec v6 that you can actually hear the vtec kick in 0-60 in 7.7 seconds the muffler sounds like a g35 a little. it's a very useful van you can fit alot of stuff in it. i don't know why people complain about the sliding doors because they are slow its says no where on the sliding doors type R

Transmission?
By Jason on 06/21/10 03:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just found out that the transmission in this van is bad at 110,000 miles. Honda dealer wanted $5500 to repair with a rebuilt transmission. They also told me the front engine mount is collapsed. The total repair bill to fix everything and have the 105,000 mile service done is $7,400! After looking at these other reviews I now see I bought a vehicle that is poor quality. I have owned Honda vehicles for the past 15 years. However, this will be the last.

Bad Transmission/ steering and suspension
By bad transmissions on 06/16/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All went well with this van until 105,000 mi. At which point transmission began to slip and misfire. Disappointed with dealership and Honda support in light of class action suit awarded to van owners. Honda never stepped up to the plate with obvious faulty transmission design. Also, bushings / bearings and struts need replacement according to 3 different opinions. Cost for new transmission and steering suspension problem $6000.00 dealer told me you get 150k miles out these w/o major problems.

Bad transmission
By another victim on 05/19/10 00:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are another victim of the bad transmission design. Engine light is on. Transmission gear ratio incorrect. Very wild in driving. Won't accelerate. Called Honda. Need to pay more than 4000 dollar to get it fix. Really bad. seeking a class action. don't know where to go for this bad design.

My experience with my honda oddyssey
By etan on 04/16/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Drive's like what you think you get but have some problem in electrical.

Another Odyssey Transmission Failure
By Lucy on 04/06/10 12:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our van used in '04 w/ only 12,000 miles on it. Loved the van for 5 years and paid it off. Planned to keep it for a good long time, when without much warning the transmission went at only 85,500. We serviced our vehicle at the dealer faithfully and we towed it there for assistance. They said a new transmission would be almost 4,000 and continued to tell me about all of the transmission issues Honda has been having with their vehicles. We were extremely disappointed and decided to trade the car in for a Hyundai w/a 10 yr. powertrain warranty. Like many of the other customer reviews I've read...we too have lost our faith in Honda's quality.

Not an Accord
By DrivesWell on 02/24/10 11:47 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After having a troublefree Honda 1990 Accord for 240,000 miles, my expectations were high for the Odyssey. I was initially worried about 2 things: Honda bragged that the Odyssey was built on an Accord chassis (but weighs half-again as much!), and the automatic side doors (always takes a few years for any new mechanical device to get the bugs out). Sure enough: balky sliding doors that frequently freeze shut in wet, freezing weather. Several $1000+ repairs: shocks, fuel system, and now at 132,000 miles,transmission. Presumably because they have so many going out, they recently bumped the transmission remanufactured price by about $1000 (making money off their poor workmanship?).

Vastly over-rated
By Michael on 02/14/10 09:27 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Do NOT buy this car! Too much cheap interior plastic that peels off, plastic bumper covers that scratch when you look cross-eyed at them. Electric doors that open/close when they want, not when you want. Un-padded carpeting will kill your knees when putting luggage in the back. Folding rear seat hooks stick out of sides and eliminate 4 inches of space for sliding things in. And a transmission that only lasts 120,000 miles!