Used 2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Transmission fails at only 62,000 miles
By parveentexas

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am the original owner of a 2002 Honda Odyssey van. On 11/07/2014, van failed to accelerate and the malfunction indicator was on. I had van towed to the local Honda dealership. Service dept at the dealership said the ECL code was P0730. They said transmission needs to be replaced. The approximate failure mileage on van was 62000. I had to pay around $3500 for having the dealer rebuilt the transmission. I had the Service Advisor take photos of the damaged transmission. Service Advisor told me that the 3rd gear has heat discoloration & is burned up. In addition he said, clutches were burnt up. Root cause was heat buildup in transmission. Honda refused any help with the repair cost!

Suggested Improvements

Honda has good motors but terrible transmissions. Heat builds up in these transmissions & they prematurely fail at only 62,000 miles? This costs $3500 to $5000 to fix!!! Give me a break! Honda knows they have a heat dissipation problem in their transmission design & should warranty drive-train up to 100,000 miles with no time limit.

Bad Transmission
By ml4416

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is worst van ever own. Transmission dead at 100k miles and cost $5k to fixed transmission. Lots of road noisy on highway and very uncomfortable especially driver seat. Also, under power.

Favorite Features

Dual power doors

Suggested Improvements

More power and better Transmission.

TRANSMISSION!!
By kim203

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Odyssey since 2006. I loved it until things began to go wrong (of course, after the "certified" warranty ran out). It's got 135,000 miles and in addition to regular maintenance (including the timing belt) I have had to replace all three engine mounts, shocks and the transmission (not at Honda). I called Honda and they said the transmission recall work had been performed before I purchased the vehicle so there was nothing they could do. I bought a Honda because I thought I would be able to drive it forever. Simply not so. Very disappointed and will not purchase another Honda. It's comfortable and great for passengers, but lots of road noise.

Favorite Features

Leather seating is great for kids; comfortable for driver and passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Don't sell vehicles known to have transmission defects; reduce road noise.

Met all my expectations
By Great Vehicle

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Odyssey new in 2001. Has served us well. No Major problems. Two recalls and two warranty items. Now have 85,000. I use it mainly to haul stuff like 4x8 sheets of plywood, framing lumber and other building materials. Also, it holds a John Deere 100 series lawn tractor. Home Depot couldn't believe it. Great on vacations for carrying all the stuff we need. Plus friends. Transmission is excellent. Need to do recall on gear lubrication and change transmission oil regularly to get longevity. Considering a 2011 now.

Favorite Features

Fold down 3rd row seat. Ease of removing 2nd row seats. Short turning radius. Powerful engine. Nice and neat interior.

Suggested Improvements

Move gear shift to dash(done). Expand trip computer capabilities(done). Improve gas mileage(done for 2011).

Transmission?
By Jason

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just found out that the transmission in this van is bad at 110,000 miles. Honda dealer wanted $5500 to repair with a rebuilt transmission. They also told me the front engine mount is collapsed. The total repair bill to fix everything and have the 105,000 mile service done is $7,400! After looking at these other reviews I now see I bought a vehicle that is poor quality. I have owned Honda vehicles for the past 15 years. However, this will be the last.

Favorite Features

Interior is very nice and durable. Power sliding doors.

Suggested Improvements

Build a transmission that works.