2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Transmisson
By bhastings on 09/04/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2002 Honda Odyssey it look good they said it skips between 2 and 3 gears but now it is so bad you cannot drive it. Do not buy.

Nice van, Poor quality on Motor.
By Kathy on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The problem keeps coming back. My brother took his van for the recall, "got fixed". A week ago his van broke and he will fixed the transmission for the 3 time. My husband got me an Odyssey a month ago and I didn't want to exchange it because of the bad reputation it has. I was happy with my Nissan Quest it never gave me any problem for the 6 yrs that I own it. I keep the Odyssey because of the 4 doors, it has giving me some problems when I drive it, it loses power and one of the motor lights is now on. It's not a surprise, the mechanic says the transmission needs to be fixed. I'll not be surprise to hear their is a class action against Honda. I'm selling mine, and won't be buying Hondas.

odyssey
By vtecrazy on 06/27/10 09:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

i love odysseys especially because of the vtec v6 that you can actually hear the vtec kick in 0-60 in 7.7 seconds the muffler sounds like a g35 a little. it's a very useful van you can fit alot of stuff in it. i don't know why people complain about the sliding doors because they are slow its says no where on the sliding doors type R

Not an Accord
By DrivesWell on 02/24/10 11:47 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After having a troublefree Honda 1990 Accord for 240,000 miles, my expectations were high for the Odyssey. I was initially worried about 2 things: Honda bragged that the Odyssey was built on an Accord chassis (but weighs half-again as much!), and the automatic side doors (always takes a few years for any new mechanical device to get the bugs out). Sure enough: balky sliding doors that frequently freeze shut in wet, freezing weather. Several $1000+ repairs: shocks, fuel system, and now at 132,000 miles,transmission. Presumably because they have so many going out, they recently bumped the transmission remanufactured price by about $1000 (making money off their poor workmanship?).

After 130k miles
By Adam on 09/13/09 07:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new 11/2001. At the tranny recall they said it was ok and put additive in the fluid. All maintenance has been done on time including the $1750 timing belt / spark plugs at 100k miles. The transmission has always been funky, sometimes slips to 1st and you have to stay off the gas and slow down to get it going again. While the tranny is junk, it still works and it's the original one. No other problems whatsoever. F/R break pads replaced only once, tires replaced only once and are probably good for another 20k. I find that when the trans gets more finicky, if I run it hard (floor it 0 to 60mph+), it then works without major issue for another couple weeks.

Excellent except transmisison
By Dave on 08/11/09 06:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this van early in 07 with between 70 and 80,000 miles. It was really clean and nice. It drives and handles nice. However just a couple weeks ago while driving on the highway the transmission started acting up. We took it in to get checked out and now we have to rebuild the transmission and hand over another 3 thousand dollars. I was very disappointed -definitely not what I expected from a Honda and for the year, mileage and price we paid for it, this should not be happening. Only other complaint is the sliding doors. They are slow and can't be stopped midway. If the electric is off for some reason or the doors are stuck they are very, very hard to operate.

Transmission problems @ 41000 miles
By tmock13 on 07/09/09 19:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased new back in Jan. 2002 and have faithfully followed the necessary scheduled maintenance. But guess what, with only 41200 miles, the transmission needs to be rebuilt. The check engine light came on and the code came up p0730 "incorrect gear ratio". Dealer told me that there is no extended warranty, as assumed by many people. The extended warranty applies only to 1999-2001 odyssey. The standard 3 year/36000 miles applies to my case which I no longer qualify. Dealer was quoting me $5000 to $6000 for a new transmission. I brought it to AAMCO and grudgingly handed over $3004 to rebuild transmission with a 12 months warranty. Again, what happen to Honda quality?!

Love my Odyssey
By pebe98 on 07/06/09 14:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this van for 4 yrs after buying it from my mother-in-law. Somebody backed into the van, then pulled forward and backed into it again, and the only problem I have with paint is some peeling of clear cover on the driver's door probably due to shoddy repair because the rest of the van is perfect. I have NEVER had a problem with the transmission and have never been stranded while driving a Honda. While highway driving and the wind is in the right direction, there is a howl that would make a dog cry. The horn is nice and LOUD and shrill (especially nice when people pull out in front of you and their window is down).

166,000 miles and going
By Brian on 05/01/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have three cars with over 120,000 miles and the Honda Odyssey has been the most expensive to maintain in the past two years; however, it has been the car we have put the most miles on. We recently replaced the alternator and it seems to eat through brake pads, but no major major problems (like tranny). Many of our repairs in the past year are first time ever fixes. Very nice van still that we will continue to drive.

Tranny, tranny, tranny, tranny!
By babs on 07/23/08 17:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 2002 Honda Odyssey is an ideal family car and ours has managed to ferry us on many memorable trips. When it's not undergoing repair, we're happy with almost every aspect of the van. However, almost alone among Hondas, this particular model has had persistent problems with its automatic transmission. For us, the problem has recurred with EACH transmission installed to replace the original equipment. The initial transmission was the subject of a national recall (Honda Service Bulletin 04-021). We have also replaced the original tranny THREE times. No kidding!! We're very disappointed.