Used 2002 Honda Odyssey EX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Transmisson
By bhastings

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2002 Honda Odyssey it look good they said it skips between 2 and 3 gears but now it is so bad you cannot drive it. Do not buy.

Nice van, Poor quality on Motor.
By Kathy

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The problem keeps coming back. My brother took his van for the recall, "got fixed". A week ago his van broke and he will fixed the transmission for the 3 time. My husband got me an Odyssey a month ago and I didn't want to exchange it because of the bad reputation it has. I was happy with my Nissan Quest it never gave me any problem for the 6 yrs that I own it. I keep the Odyssey because of the 4 doors, it has giving me some problems when I drive it, it loses power and one of the motor lights is now on. It's not a surprise, the mechanic says the transmission needs to be fixed. I'll not be surprise to hear their is a class action against Honda. I'm selling mine, and won't be buying Hondas.

Favorite Features

I like the convenience of the doors that u can open wit the control.The extra space on the trunk. The design from the outside is nice not to flat not too curve.

Suggested Improvements

Honda needs an improving on fixing the problems they clearly see is out there on their vehicles. There is many people with the same problems and Honda does not do anything about it.

odyssey
By vtecrazy

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

i love odysseys especially because of the vtec v6 that you can actually hear the vtec kick in 0-60 in 7.7 seconds the muffler sounds like a g35 a little. it's a very useful van you can fit alot of stuff in it. i don't know why people complain about the sliding doors because they are slow its says no where on the sliding doors type R

Favorite Features

the performance, the interior design

Suggested Improvements

transmission

Not an Accord
By DrivesWell

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After having a troublefree Honda 1990 Accord for 240,000 miles, my expectations were high for the Odyssey. I was initially worried about 2 things: Honda bragged that the Odyssey was built on an Accord chassis (but weighs half-again as much!), and the automatic side doors (always takes a few years for any new mechanical device to get the bugs out). Sure enough: balky sliding doors that frequently freeze shut in wet, freezing weather. Several $1000+ repairs: shocks, fuel system, and now at 132,000 miles,transmission. Presumably because they have so many going out, they recently bumped the transmission remanufactured price by about $1000 (making money off their poor workmanship?).

Favorite Features

Easily reconfigured interior, engine itself still solid, huge carrying capacity, very good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability of automatic sliding doors and seal them so that don't freeze shut. Heavier duty shock system. Greater reliability of automatic transmission and fuel injection system. Better rear wiper. All seats starting to have some play.

After 130k miles
By Adam

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new 11/2001. At the tranny recall they said it was ok and put additive in the fluid. All maintenance has been done on time including the $1750 timing belt / spark plugs at 100k miles. The transmission has always been funky, sometimes slips to 1st and you have to stay off the gas and slow down to get it going again. While the tranny is junk, it still works and it's the original one. No other problems whatsoever. F/R break pads replaced only once, tires replaced only once and are probably good for another 20k. I find that when the trans gets more finicky, if I run it hard (floor it 0 to 60mph+), it then works without major issue for another couple weeks.

Favorite Features

Room - 145cu ft. or something with 2nd row seats removed.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. Also, the car has a really noisy ride. Despite my relative good luck, I will never buy another Honda anything.