Used 2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Transmission fails at only 62,000 miles
By parveentexas

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am the original owner of a 2002 Honda Odyssey van. On 11/07/2014, van failed to accelerate and the malfunction indicator was on. I had van towed to the local Honda dealership. Service dept at the dealership said the ECL code was P0730. They said transmission needs to be replaced. The approximate failure mileage on van was 62000. I had to pay around $3500 for having the dealer rebuilt the transmission. I had the Service Advisor take photos of the damaged transmission. Service Advisor told me that the 3rd gear has heat discoloration & is burned up. In addition he said, clutches were burnt up. Root cause was heat buildup in transmission. Honda refused any help with the repair cost!

Suggested Improvements

Honda has good motors but terrible transmissions. Heat builds up in these transmissions & they prematurely fail at only 62,000 miles? This costs $3500 to $5000 to fix!!! Give me a break! Honda knows they have a heat dissipation problem in their transmission design & should warranty drive-train up to 100,000 miles with no time limit.

Bad Tranny
By scott1865

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Tranny has been slipping for 18 months. Dealer wants $4K- $5k. Independent tranny shop and one Honda salesperson say welocome to the world of Odyssey. Other than tranny and fw few minor electrical issues, I like the van. Front end too low. Minnesota snow breaks the plastic.

Favorite Features

Handles well at 75 mph with 6 occupants.

Suggested Improvements

Bumpers (front and back) seem to be broken on many of the Odysseys that i see. Lousy stereo. Difficulty keeping windshield defrosted unless you run the fan on high. Ground clearance too low.

Bad Transmission
By ml4416

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is worst van ever own. Transmission dead at 100k miles and cost $5k to fixed transmission. Lots of road noisy on highway and very uncomfortable especially driver seat. Also, under power.

Favorite Features

Dual power doors

Suggested Improvements

More power and better Transmission.

Transmisson
By bhastings

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2002 Honda Odyssey it look good they said it skips between 2 and 3 gears but now it is so bad you cannot drive it. Do not buy.

Going for 300,000+ miles
By seanstr

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really enjoy DRIVING this van and I really drive it very hard for a minivan. What sold me was the sporty driving it provides. If you like a soft cushy ride with no driver feedback from the steering and suspension, then this van is NOT for you. If you like power, agility and sporty car like feel and ride, then you'll be right at home behind the wheel. I travel WV and all I'll say is it will hang a curve. * VAN: The back windows quit working, probably cause I never open them and are stuck, other than that everything still works inside as it should. The van still looks very good inside and out. Did the 100K service at 200k but had to replace the A/C compressor at 240k. continued belo

Favorite Features

cont: about 220k it started to leak oil. Had to have dealer pig putty engine block ($700) 02-04 engine defect common, google it to understand it. That's all major issues* I'm a sales rep and need the room of a minivan for all my stuff. I bought it used with 11k miles certified from a dealer. The transmission was recalled and at 70k replaced with factory rebuild. The rebuild now has over 208k miles (yes that's 278k+ on van). The only mod that I've done to the van is putting a large aftermarket transmission cooler on it at recall. I usually do this with all my automatics immediately but hey it's a Honda (my first).

Suggested Improvements

AWD, AWD, AWD !!! Make a van, not a crossover that can tow 5000lbs. Then I can get rid of my Yukon. Sometimes, I tow my boats, big and small with my Odyssey. It has no problem pulling them. WET boat ramps, snow, and rain is where AWD will come in handy for me, therefore, I'm leaving Honda. This is the only reason why I'm going to a 2011 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD. I'm really going to miss the sporty feel from my old Odyssey. I know the Sienna is a great van but I'm not wild about how it drives especially with the electric steering. Overall it's been a great van.