2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Transmission fails at only 62,000 miles
By parveentexas on 12/02/14 14:06 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am the original owner of a 2002 Honda Odyssey van. On 11/07/2014, van failed to accelerate and the malfunction indicator was on. I had van towed to the local Honda dealership. Service dept at the dealership said the ECL code was P0730. They said transmission needs to be replaced. The approximate failure mileage on van was 62000. I had to pay around $3500 for having the dealer rebuilt the transmission. I had the Service Advisor take photos of the damaged transmission. Service Advisor told me that the 3rd gear has heat discoloration & is burned up. In addition he said, clutches were burnt up. Root cause was heat buildup in transmission. Honda refused any help with the repair cost!

Bad Transmission
By ml4416 on 10/29/11 22:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is worst van ever own. Transmission dead at 100k miles and cost $5k to fixed transmission. Lots of road noisy on highway and very uncomfortable especially driver seat. Also, under power.

TRANSMISSION!!
By kim203 on 06/14/11 10:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Odyssey since 2006. I loved it until things began to go wrong (of course, after the "certified" warranty ran out). It's got 135,000 miles and in addition to regular maintenance (including the timing belt) I have had to replace all three engine mounts, shocks and the transmission (not at Honda). I called Honda and they said the transmission recall work had been performed before I purchased the vehicle so there was nothing they could do. I bought a Honda because I thought I would be able to drive it forever. Simply not so. Very disappointed and will not purchase another Honda. It's comfortable and great for passengers, but lots of road noise.

Met all my expectations
By Great Vehicle on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Odyssey new in 2001. Has served us well. No Major problems. Two recalls and two warranty items. Now have 85,000. I use it mainly to haul stuff like 4x8 sheets of plywood, framing lumber and other building materials. Also, it holds a John Deere 100 series lawn tractor. Home Depot couldn't believe it. Great on vacations for carrying all the stuff we need. Plus friends. Transmission is excellent. Need to do recall on gear lubrication and change transmission oil regularly to get longevity. Considering a 2011 now.

Transmission?
By Jason on 06/21/10 03:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just found out that the transmission in this van is bad at 110,000 miles. Honda dealer wanted $5500 to repair with a rebuilt transmission. They also told me the front engine mount is collapsed. The total repair bill to fix everything and have the 105,000 mile service done is $7,400! After looking at these other reviews I now see I bought a vehicle that is poor quality. I have owned Honda vehicles for the past 15 years. However, this will be the last.

Bad Transmission/ steering and suspension
By bad transmissions on 06/16/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All went well with this van until 105,000 mi. At which point transmission began to slip and misfire. Disappointed with dealership and Honda support in light of class action suit awarded to van owners. Honda never stepped up to the plate with obvious faulty transmission design. Also, bushings / bearings and struts need replacement according to 3 different opinions. Cost for new transmission and steering suspension problem $6000.00 dealer told me you get 150k miles out these w/o major problems.

Another Odyssey Transmission Failure
By Lucy on 04/06/10 12:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our van used in '04 w/ only 12,000 miles on it. Loved the van for 5 years and paid it off. Planned to keep it for a good long time, when without much warning the transmission went at only 85,500. We serviced our vehicle at the dealer faithfully and we towed it there for assistance. They said a new transmission would be almost 4,000 and continued to tell me about all of the transmission issues Honda has been having with their vehicles. We were extremely disappointed and decided to trade the car in for a Hyundai w/a 10 yr. powertrain warranty. Like many of the other customer reviews I've read...we too have lost our faith in Honda's quality.

Great used van
By Jason on 10/24/09 09:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just bought a 2002 Odyssey with 125,000 miles. The van can carry seven in comfort. The rear seat is best for kids, because of the narrow access. The power sliding doors ease ingress and egress. It can be hard to hear what someone is saying in the 3rd row because of road noise. Tires may help. The Odyssey has very good acceleration, even in hilly San Diego. The van handles very well for a vehicle this size. I would call it a sport van if such a thing exists. These models are known for transmission problems. I installed a transmission filter and cooler, and made sure the shift solenoid screens were clear. We get around 23 on the highway and 18 around town. I recommend this van.

Three Car Seats
By SUVNOMORE on 01/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

No more back aches. Loading three into car seats in an SUV was not fun, but with our Odessey, we look forward to getting out of the house. Great attention to detail and fun to drive. Quiet on the road and handles bumps exceptionally well.

2003 ODY
By MarkinNewark on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is our second Odyssey. These are the only two vehicles we have owned where I have agreed to pay full MSRP. That grinds on me from time to time. First ODY was a 1999 and the engine power between the 99 and the 03 is amazing. 50 more horses..Kudos to the Honda engineers. Simply put, we love this van. Resale value much higher than other vans.