2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Bad Tranny
By scott1865 on 03/05/13 10:36 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Tranny has been slipping for 18 months. Dealer wants $4K- $5k. Independent tranny shop and one Honda salesperson say welocome to the world of Odyssey. Other than tranny and fw few minor electrical issues, I like the van. Front end too low. Minnesota snow breaks the plastic.

Bad Transmission
By ml4416 on 10/29/11 22:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is worst van ever own. Transmission dead at 100k miles and cost $5k to fixed transmission. Lots of road noisy on highway and very uncomfortable especially driver seat. Also, under power.

Transmisson
By bhastings on 09/04/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2002 Honda Odyssey it look good they said it skips between 2 and 3 gears but now it is so bad you cannot drive it. Do not buy.

Going for 300,000+ miles
By seanstr on 07/22/11 20:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really enjoy DRIVING this van and I really drive it very hard for a minivan. What sold me was the sporty driving it provides. If you like a soft cushy ride with no driver feedback from the steering and suspension, then this van is NOT for you. If you like power, agility and sporty car like feel and ride, then you'll be right at home behind the wheel. I travel WV and all I'll say is it will hang a curve. * VAN: The back windows quit working, probably cause I never open them and are stuck, other than that everything still works inside as it should. The van still looks very good inside and out. Did the 100K service at 200k but had to replace the A/C compressor at 240k. continued belo

TRANSMISSION!!
By kim203 on 06/14/11 10:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Odyssey since 2006. I loved it until things began to go wrong (of course, after the "certified" warranty ran out). It's got 135,000 miles and in addition to regular maintenance (including the timing belt) I have had to replace all three engine mounts, shocks and the transmission (not at Honda). I called Honda and they said the transmission recall work had been performed before I purchased the vehicle so there was nothing they could do. I bought a Honda because I thought I would be able to drive it forever. Simply not so. Very disappointed and will not purchase another Honda. It's comfortable and great for passengers, but lots of road noise.

Very Nice
By John on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned the van for 9 years and put 61k miles on it. At 50,000 miles I had all the fluids, including the transmission, changed out. I have maintained it very well and am very pleased with it. Absolutely no transmission problems.

Still Reliable
By Sephronia on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 157,000 miles and the car is still very reliable. Only a couple of very minor repairs over its lifetime. Transmission still going strong (except for a pressure switch < $150 that needed to be replaced). Burns no oil. Great acceleration. Better gas mileage than most. Sliding doors are a poor design and stick often.

Met all my expectations
By Great Vehicle on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Odyssey new in 2001. Has served us well. No Major problems. Two recalls and two warranty items. Now have 85,000. I use it mainly to haul stuff like 4x8 sheets of plywood, framing lumber and other building materials. Also, it holds a John Deere 100 series lawn tractor. Home Depot couldn't believe it. Great on vacations for carrying all the stuff we need. Plus friends. Transmission is excellent. Need to do recall on gear lubrication and change transmission oil regularly to get longevity. Considering a 2011 now.

Nice van, Poor quality on Motor.
By Kathy on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The problem keeps coming back. My brother took his van for the recall, "got fixed". A week ago his van broke and he will fixed the transmission for the 3 time. My husband got me an Odyssey a month ago and I didn't want to exchange it because of the bad reputation it has. I was happy with my Nissan Quest it never gave me any problem for the 6 yrs that I own it. I keep the Odyssey because of the 4 doors, it has giving me some problems when I drive it, it loses power and one of the motor lights is now on. It's not a surprise, the mechanic says the transmission needs to be fixed. I'll not be surprise to hear their is a class action against Honda. I'm selling mine, and won't be buying Hondas.

2 Transmissions by 100k? Really Honda??
By Marc on 08/25/10 08:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this vehicle used with 26k miles. Here have been the problems since: Transmission replaced at 48k by dealer Passenger side window regulator replaced Sliding doors constantly malfunctioning Front driver's seat jammed Annoying rattling coming from unknown source (dealer couldn't locate either) Front and rear lighter outlets dislodged (not from abuse, from poor design) Transmission being replaced FOR 2nd TIME at 105k In case you didn't catch it the transmission is being replaced for the second time!!