Used 2002 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 272 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

My review of the 2002 Honda Odyssey
By Ryan

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Be aware of transmission problems

Clipped by independent car dealer
By Basil

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

#1 check trans fluid. Pull dipstick and wipe on white paper towel. If fluid is black or otherwise not red, avoid the car because it needs a new torque converter.
That is expensive. Otherwise, it is a comfortable, easy to drive car.

Transmission was replaced, cost about double that for an American car. Power steering pump then failed and was replaced. Fluid leakage then increased and power steering rack had to be replaced. I am not very pleased with this car. It is expensive to maintain, much worse than expected

transmition issues
By Julie

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

You may want to consider buying a new tranny the same day you buy this van. Alternator/battery as well. I have 228000 on this van. It has been good overall but is now on the 3rd transmission and 2nd alternator. Gas gauge and temp gauges are all messed up. They bounce around and are never correct. Certainly, I have 228000 miles and you can't expect perfection but it seems that when things go wrong, they are always expensive things...4K per tranny and over 500 for alternator. I do love the comfort and cargo space. Hoping that I get another 100K on the van and than I will sell.

BAD TRANNY!!
By Sarah

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Its not true, this is NOT the best minivan ever! I purchased it used at 85k, and at 175k the transmission is slipping. I would have hoped for another 100k,
but not so. Already time to junk it. My 1964 Plymouth is a better car than this piece of junk. Aside from the transmission issue, the automatic doors have been a pain since day one. My dogs were letting themselves out in parking lots, the doors now mysteriously open and close on their own. One opens and just WILL NOT CLOSE. I need to muscle it closed, not easy. Before the tranny went I needed to replace the alternator (& battery), more than FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS because it took half a day for my mechanic to get it out!! This is unacceptable to me. I should be able to replace that myself if I want to. Not possible with Honda, you will pay through the nose to repair this van, and then the transmission will die, so DON'T BUY IT. Just bought an '02 Chrysler, going back to my roots. :-)

Honda oddsy 2002
By Kinnari patel

2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If we go to Honda they didn't even tell there is recall for transmission