Tranny advice and comments
By 126 on
2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)
Trannies are the weak link in ALL vehicles and especially VANS and MINIVANS. Most people don't realize this and push it to the limit abusing and breaking it prematurely. Be gentle with the tranny and will last much longer than did for others. Tip - find (feel) the changing spots and take the leg off the gas just before gear change. i.e. after 20km/h, 40,80)
Favorite Features
Let me tell you this - I HAD AN OLD Aerostar, NO A/C, nada things. And I had problems incl tranny (2x). YET I CAN NOT THINK WHAT TO WRITE HERE !!! I can drive and park the Aerostar like a bike, yet with the ody I struggle. STUPID pointy bumper? WHY? Gas HOG! (worse than my OLD HEAVY Aerostar)
Suggested Improvements
LOWER the freaking price or rise quality, fuel gauge stinks, Chairs are NOT comfortable, allow the dashboard to be used at least partially for some storage, stop idiotic radio code, ALLOW TO TURN DAYLIGHTS OFF FOR CANADIAN SIDE (what idiots did this?), body too frigging round - robs mirror visibility
By henry10s
on 11/17/11 11:38 AM (PST)

My full size conversion vans's trannies lasted over 200,000 miles, even with some heavy towing. My Toyota Previa's transmission was original when I sold it with 250,000 miles. Not all vans and minivans have bad trannies.