Used 2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Elecrical Headaches
By karonise

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I won't comment on the service I get from the dealership, but this car has constant electrical issues, the motorized doors don't close in wet weather, alarms buzz for no apparent reason, fuzes blow, motors in windows and winshiels wipers blow. I will be unloading this car this fall due to the number of times I've been inconvenienced, and I am someone who prides on owning OLD cars. I currently own a 1990 Saturn, and had an 89 Celica (180Kmi) when I finally unloaded it, and it was still running well, just the body was shot. I will be buying a Toyota.

Comfortable van for a short person, like me.

Talk to your service people about keeping more parts in stock, and not endlessly sending customers back and forth.

My 2001 & 2007 Odyssey
By erob4775

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We liked the 01 Odyssey very much so that we now own an 2007 also. The only problem to speak of was the tranmission. We had it replaced twice (under warranty). The van now has 92000 miles and going strong. The 01 is an EX the 07 is an EXL. Next year we plan on trading the 01 for an 08 Touring model.

The middle seats, together or apart and the hide away rear seats. We have a VCR in the 01 and a DVD in the 07. Great for our four grandsons ages 4 to 9.

Better transmision

Nice to drive - but poor reliability
By georgiadriver

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this to replace problem prone Sable Wagon. It was nice for 3 years but has had many problems since, new transmission (replaced by factory @ 44K thanks), door problems, rattles under hood, electrical problems, poor mileage ~ 13-15 overall except on long trips where its > 20. All service has been through the dealership. Overall we like the van - but too many little problems. The power doors hang up now - causing a buzzer to go off. We're told $500+/- to replace a motor. This isn't something I expect after 6 years and 90K miles from Honda.

3rd row seats, driving comfort, power on the road.

Power doors - eleminate them or make them reliable, transmission problems, mileage.

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L)
By Eli

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Odyssey used at 160,000 miles, and it runs great. We have shipped it to Lebanon and we use it there to shuttle my 4 kids back and forth to school, a 40 mile trip with 10,000 pot holes and the worst road surface (for american standards). Honestly we have to change the tires and brakes a lot but nothing major. Great car!!

Power doors fine in Mediterranean climate, 3rd row seat, simplicity and practicality, ride and handling.

Make it a little more interesting.

Why you should stick to Honda
By qualityfirst1

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Our van is wonderful. This is a minivan, so I'm rating it as a minivan. It feels like the center of gravity is much lower than Toyota or the domestics, so it feels like it is under control. Lots of nice creature comforts. Dual power sliding doors are awesome! Great engine. Great quality. Great fit and finish. Materials are superb. Honda blew one thing; the transmission has a design flaw. Ours went out around 80K mi. We thought we would have to pay for a new one (like our Mazda), but Honda admitted the problem and replaced it at no charge. They also extended the warranty to 100K mi. What an awesome company! And we didn't have to write a complaint letter. Buy a Honda!

Honda backs their cars. In the past, we've had problems with our Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Dodge and Mazda and none would stand behind their car. Honda blew it and they don't make excuses. What a novel concept! At over 140K mi, our van is still solid and doesn't burn oil.

Transmission problem. Van is also pretty heavy. Rear disc brakes would be nice. Include cross rails with the roof rack - dealers put them on all the cars and sell the "pro-pack" at huge markups - not very fair.