Used 2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Mad Beyond Words
By twins97

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

At 60,000, the air conditioning went completely out. We're not talking a simple adjustment - the entire air conditioning had to be replaced to the tune of $2500.00. The bearings ground themselves to splinters of metal and shot through the lines, into the evaporator. No one at the dealership had ever seen anything like it. My warranty company sent 3 adjusters in just to see something they had never heard of before. At 68,000 miles, the entire transmission had to be replaced. Though Honda covered that, they didn't cover the engine mounts that had to be replaced as well. Thank goodness for the warranty company who picked up the $350.00 tab on that one. The only problem is that the "new" trans

Favorite Features

Space

Suggested Improvements

Just about everything!!! Stop making them as bad as Ford did.

Disappointing
By Dave

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our vehicle used with approximately 40k miles on the van. We have had to replace the transmission three times. I was always led to believe that Honda made quality vehicles I have been extremely disappointed. I have a 1995 Ford Explorer that has not given me a quarter of the problems the Honda Odyssey has and the Explorer has over 240k miles on it. The Odyssey is fun to drive however the I have been less than impressed with the required maintenance needed on the vehicle. I would strongly suggest someone buying this vehicle used request an extended warranty because you may need it.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Correct transmission problems and focus on maintenance issues. In addition, there appears to be a problem with the electrical system because if the the radio or lights are left on for a short time and if the van is not running the van will not start. Poor fuel economy

Still Going Strong
By Mrugesh

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van new in 2001 and it's never been taken to any repair shop. Dealer or otherwise. If you're gonna put your precious cargo (wife and kids) in a box, this is the one. The safest, the most reliable, the most luxurious and the most worry-free box out there in the market. BTW, I also own a BMW Z4 which has been to the dealership for "tweaking" 3 times since i bought it last year. Something about them Japanese engineers. I bet in the next 25 years or so we'll think Japanese when we think of prestigious automobiles.

Favorite Features

The perfect box

Suggested Improvements

Need a little more oomph at the light

2001 Honda Odyssey - still going strong
By ResIspaLoq

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This minivan has always been fun to drive. The way this car was designed, with its tight wheelbase and good road feel made me think that Honda wanted to capture the Accord drivers and had to offer a performance car with the highest safety ratings. It was relatively expensive at the time, but if I'm going to drive my kids and other people's kids everywhere, I wanted to the safest car. At the time, we spent a lot of time driving to activities and vacations. Honda did have a transmission recall, and did the whole replacement for free. We also liked the fact that you could convert the rear seat, which is not something other vans were capable of doing at the time.

Favorite Features

1) high horsepower, 2) drives like a car, 3) convertible back seat 4) first minivan with rollbars (roof is supported by structure), 5) automatic doors

Suggested Improvements

The front row accommodations have always been horrible. Moms need convenience. That tray in the middle is useless. In fact, they changed it in 2002. Also, I would have preferred better sound; they should offer Bose or something high quality.

Had to let her go
By knee-dragger777

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I thought I would share my experience with this vehicle. I am now leary of Honda's reliability reputation. I bought the car new in 9/01. I put 112k trouble free miles on the motor, but I have replaced the transmission 3 times. Once at 40k, 2nd at 80k, and again at 109k. This is not indicative of Honda reliablity. Each time it was covered under warranty. I have never towed anything(didn't even have a hitch on it) However, I have a feeling the next one won't be and I can't justify paying $2,500 to 3 for vehicle only worth about 6. I had to sell it. Great family car for our "party of 5". My wife was ready to give it away. If you see one of these on the side of the road. You'll know why.

Favorite Features

Seating arrangement, fuel economy, ride quality, auto doors,

Suggested Improvements

Better/more reliable transmissions, and auto door components. Better paint quality(too soft)