2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Satisfied but not overwhelmed
By bangzoom on 04/04/05 16:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in Feb 2001. Has 73K miles. No major problems, replaced brakes @ 45K. Power Doors stick periodically and warning buzzer alarm goes off occasionally when hitting a bump in the road and won't turn off unless you stop, open and close the doors to reset. Dealer has attempted several times to fix and has not been able. Annoying wind noise over 65mph also can not be fixed by dealer. Light in clock went out @ 37K, and dealer wanted $300 to replace. I'll go timeless at night thank you. Disappointing gas mileage around town (15-16mpg). No breakdowns or major repairs. Overall I am satisfied.

solid value in a used van
By Daniel Smith on 03/21/05 00:52 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We wanted an Odyssey since they first came out & could finally afford a used one. No problems at all except for poor fuel mileage (15 in town, 18 on highway). Love this van - feels safe & sturdy, rides excellent, handles well. No mechanical problems at all and easy to service. Have changed the air filter, sparkplugs, oil & tranny fluid without a hitch. Cabin air filter was a pain, but you'll probably only change that once anyway. Remote power doors are cool, fold down seats work great & interior & cargo room outstanding. Love this van!

Odyssey is a good van
By James on 03/08/05 14:48 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a very stylish and comfortable van. It is great on long road trips. We go to Montana from Seattle every year and it is a pleasure to drive there. We took it on a long trip down the Pacific coast from Seattle, along the Oregon coast, through the redwoods in northern California. Then to San Francisco, down through Big Sur and to Los Angeles. We then went along the coast to San Diego. We returned to Seattle on I5 (we were tired of scenery and wanted to get home.) It was a pleasant, trouble free and comfortable trip. We use it daily to shop, take the kids to school, haul the dog, and go out to nice restaurants. It is one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Great
By PW on 03/04/05 17:19 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 2nd Odyssey, having previously purchased one of the original '99's. Both vehicles have been wonderful. Very comfortable and roomy. Lots of cupholders and storage cubbies. We owned 2 Windstars before the Odysseys. While the Windstars were good vans, they couldn't compare in reliability and convenience features (magic seat) and especially resale value. A few days ago I would have said there isn't a better minivan than mine anywhere. But...that was before I drove the 2005. Wow!!!! It just keeps getting better!

Quality Not Up To Honda's Reputation
By Bryan on 01/02/05 23:46 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had more problems with this van than any other vehicle I have owned. I bought it based on the Honda name and have since realized that even Honda can make a lemon. I would recommend avoiding the 1999-2001 model years and get the 2002 and later years. Or better yet, go for the Sienna or Grand Caravan. The Odyssey offers a stiff ride with good handling. It is extremely manuverable. The interior is so-so with hard seats that are not too comfortable on a long ride and the stock radio is about as good as my clock radio next to my bed. Plan on upgrading unless you only listen to AM radio. The side doors have a problem with sticking in the winter and the dealer can't seem to fix it.

Disappointing reliability
By TMeehan on 01/01/05 18:45 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Factory tires didn't last long. I have replaced brakes twice. The transmission has failed. Then Honda didn't stand behind their warranty. It is a dull uninspired people mover. I would certainly consider other options if I had to do over again.

Over-rated vehicle (2001)
By Joe Lojek on 01/01/05 18:10 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had 2 transmissions replaced by Honda. Only have 89k on odometer. Bought car new have two other Hondas. Oddessy highly over-rated vehicle. Tires need to be replaced at 30-35000 miles (on 3rd set) regardless of type or driving habits. Numerous other ankle biter problems, gas cap door sticks (5x), brake noises, replaced radiator after 2000 miles. I am not happy with this van.

Great car but tranny problems
By rsmg on 12/01/04 20:40 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

All-in-all, I think the reviews I have read here are quite hard on the car. We have put it to tough use and had virtually no problems with the well-designed interior. Yes, the left slider sticks despite periodic lubrication by dealer. The brakes have always felt overworked but have been replaced with disks all-around on later models. The big problem IS the tranny. At around 82,000 miles, it was replaced under specially extended warranty for the second time. That was a couple of months ago and wife, tonight, reports same warning lights are on again, although it could be anything, of course. If you buy one used, please get the whole situation IN WRITING, about any tranny warranty extension!

Don't!!!!! Just run the other way!
By Ralph666 on 11/29/04 11:14 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Like everyone else here, the doors stuck, the seats were uncomfortable, the rear washer quit working and finally the transmission went out. We bought it new. It had 76,000 miles when the transmission went. The second transmission lasted less than two months. The third is starting to go. I will be leaving Honda soon. I won't be back.

Transmission is faulty
By Never again. on 11/23/04 14:45 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The automatic transmissions in the 97- 03 hondas are defective. Honda has issued warnings and extended the warranty to 10 years or 100,000. And they don't tell you this on the front end.