2001 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Great Family Vehicle
By Family Van on 12/29/05 13:15 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in 12/05..had to wait 2 months after ordering. EX model with navigation. Has been a great vehicle and very reliable, though we've had it serviced regularly as recommended. Purchased for safety rating & reliability. Lots of room, especially with rear seat folded flat. Brakes have been okay but not strong. Power sliding door has stuck during freezing weather. In spite of others' concerns, that's to be expected. Maybe Honda could make a suggestion about best way to "unfreeze" stuck door. Honda has offered extended warranty on transmission and EGR valve, but haven't used it. We added leather and flip down video since they it weren't options when purchased. No regrets.

Handles Great in Bad Weather
By Mrs.C on 12/01/05 20:21 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Odyssey new from our local Honda dealership. We have been satisfied with our van except for the noisey brakes. We took it to the Honda dealership several times while under warranty, but they never corrected this problem. We chose to take it elsewhere and have been more successful but still not perfect. It has been a great vehicle for our young family, especially the power doors. Very convenient for small children and full hands. Overall, a great van for us.

Honda drops the ball
By Shari on 10/04/05 19:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this second hand, didn't even know about 'gray market' or what it means. Now we certainly do. Transmission is out at 56,000 miles. Honda America and Honda Canada won't help. Door stops sometimes for no reason. Lots of road noise, brake drums are faulty. This is my first and most likely my last Honda. They were rated so good but now I wonder how long it will really last for us.

Best I've owned, but could be better
By AJFromMaine on 09/30/05 19:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We really loved this van the first year, but it does not age well. The sliding doors feeze often in the winter, front tires wear unevenly, EGR has been replaced, and on our second battery. I've found the biggest problem is the sliding doors - when they freeze, I have to climb in from the front seat and give the door a "body-blow" to get it to open - then it is okay. Tire rims collect extra dirt inside so that after a carwash the tires feel like they are unbalanced. So you have to go back and wash inside the rim to get all the dirt out. Overall though, I would still recommend it - especially the newer models.

Buy an extended aftermarket warranty
By John on 09/12/05 00:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission bad at 37k. Canadian dealer replaced it but that one was no good. Same dealer replaced it again. Now, the new one is no good either and the dealer isn't willing to help anymore. Honda Can. won't help since the van was bought from dealer who imported it into USA after it was sold new in Canada. Guess I got a gray market rig. Local Honda service guy says they're replacing all the trannys in these. Power doors work ok but scare us. If there is no power, the manual open option is very difficult - impossible for a child. If you needed to get out faster than the snail pace of the power door - too bad. Why do the editors love this vehicle? It's been nothing but trouble for us.

Can't judge a car by its maker
By Patty Marria on 08/24/05 14:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Without hesitatation we purchased a 2001 Odessey from an individual. The van had no previous warranty work at all. At that time it had 40,000. It started making a horrible groaning sound. It was taken to the dealership 4 times with no prognosis. Info was later given me at a Shell gas station, about bad brake drums on my model. They were not recalled but a Tech. Bulletin had come out in 2003 which recommended replacing drums. We did that at our expense 2 wks ago. We just took a 1600 mile trip, half way back the transmission went out. Our van is now 8 hours away from our home awaiting a new transmission. After much research, we have found Honda has lots of bad transmissions out there.

DECENT
By GARY B on 07/28/05 22:17 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

good vehicle and reliable. 50,000 miles on it and no major problems. have a slight shimy in wheel at 60 miles an hour or greater. working through the problem. vehicle goes through tires at 30,000 miles

Honda fails miserably with the Odyssey
By Mark on 07/24/05 21:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had more problems with this van than any other vehicle I have owned. I purchased it based on the Honda name and now realize that even Honda can make a lemon. Definitely avoid the 1999-2001 model years and get the 2002 and later years. The interior is spartan with hard seats that are not too comfortable on a long ride The side doors have a problem with sticking in the winter. I'm on transmission number two...which has just failed. The original tires lasted only about 32,000 miles. The EGR valve is a problem on the 2001. Honda did a poor job on the 2001 Odyssey.

The van
By Big dog on 07/21/05 00:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a pretty good van. It is very reliable (60k miles and no problems). I like the sleek look of it and its power for passing. It is much more reliable than vans made by Chrysler, but lacks the nice bells and whistles (although they break anyway). It also has high resale and the power doors are fun to mess with. Mileage is awful!

Best Minivan
By JD on 06/07/05 14:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought new after owning a Windstar, and looking at Chrysler, Ford and Toyota. Transmission had problems at 600 miles! But the dealer and Honda were all over it, and we had the car back with a new transmission the next day. No problems since, not one. It handles better than any other minivan, no exceptions, and holds more, too. We've taken 2-3 trips per year of 2000+ miles with two kids and a dog, and I wouldn't try that in any other vehicle but this one.