Used 2001 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Disappointing reliability
By TMeehan

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Factory tires didn't last long. I have replaced brakes twice. The transmission has failed. Then Honda didn't stand behind their warranty. It is a dull uninspired people mover. I would certainly consider other options if I had to do over again.

Favorite Features

Better handling than most other minivans I have driven.

Suggested Improvements

If your major sales point is reliability, you need to deliver on that promise. Avoid the EX version for 2000-2001. My sister has the EX and the auto door has failed 4 times.

Over-rated vehicle (2001)
By Joe Lojek

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had 2 transmissions replaced by Honda. Only have 89k on odometer. Bought car new have two other Hondas. Oddessy highly over-rated vehicle. Tires need to be replaced at 30-35000 miles (on 3rd set) regardless of type or driving habits. Numerous other ankle biter problems, gas cap door sticks (5x), brake noises, replaced radiator after 2000 miles. I am not happy with this van.

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seat. Looks and shape.

Suggested Improvements

Needs back windows that open. More space in drivers seat. Cup holder between front seats needs quick release for cleaning purposes. Better tire wear. I am not happy with this van.

Great car but tranny problems
By rsmg

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

All-in-all, I think the reviews I have read here are quite hard on the car. We have put it to tough use and had virtually no problems with the well-designed interior. Yes, the left slider sticks despite periodic lubrication by dealer. The brakes have always felt overworked but have been replaced with disks all-around on later models. The big problem IS the tranny. At around 82,000 miles, it was replaced under specially extended warranty for the second time. That was a couple of months ago and wife, tonight, reports same warning lights are on again, although it could be anything, of course. If you buy one used, please get the whole situation IN WRITING, about any tranny warranty extension!

Favorite Features

Third seat design, generally comfortable lighting, seating, controls. Nice highway car.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission!!! Brakes, sticky door seals.

Don't!!!!! Just run the other way!
By Ralph666

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Like everyone else here, the doors stuck, the seats were uncomfortable, the rear washer quit working and finally the transmission went out. We bought it new. It had 76,000 miles when the transmission went. The second transmission lasted less than two months. The third is starting to go. I will be leaving Honda soon. I won't be back.

Favorite Features

None. The thing is without merit.

Suggested Improvements

Build them like you used to. Put some quality back in. Give folks something real for their money or get out of the business.

Transmission is faulty
By Never again.

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The automatic transmissions in the 97- 03 hondas are defective. Honda has issued warnings and extended the warranty to 10 years or 100,000. And they don't tell you this on the front end.

Favorite Features

Back seat fold away.

Suggested Improvements

Get your transmissions from some company that knows how to make them.