Used 2001 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Satisfied but not overwhelmed
By bangzoom

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in Feb 2001. Has 73K miles. No major problems, replaced brakes @ 45K. Power Doors stick periodically and warning buzzer alarm goes off occasionally when hitting a bump in the road and won't turn off unless you stop, open and close the doors to reset. Dealer has attempted several times to fix and has not been able. Annoying wind noise over 65mph also can not be fixed by dealer. Light in clock went out @ 37K, and dealer wanted $300 to replace. I'll go timeless at night thank you. Disappointing gas mileage around town (15-16mpg). No breakdowns or major repairs. Overall I am satisfied.

Power sliding doors (when operating correctly), Fold away rear seat,

solid value in a used van
By Daniel Smith

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We wanted an Odyssey since they first came out & could finally afford a used one. No problems at all except for poor fuel mileage (15 in town, 18 on highway). Love this van - feels safe & sturdy, rides excellent, handles well. No mechanical problems at all and easy to service. Have changed the air filter, sparkplugs, oil & tranny fluid without a hitch. Cabin air filter was a pain, but you'll probably only change that once anyway. Remote power doors are cool, fold down seats work great & interior & cargo room outstanding. Love this van!

Fold down seats & power doors

Better gas mileage (new ones get better I've heard)

Odyssey is a good van
By James

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a very stylish and comfortable van. It is great on long road trips. We go to Montana from Seattle every year and it is a pleasure to drive there. We took it on a long trip down the Pacific coast from Seattle, along the Oregon coast, through the redwoods in northern California. Then to San Francisco, down through Big Sur and to Los Angeles. We then went along the coast to San Diego. We returned to Seattle on I5 (we were tired of scenery and wanted to get home.) It was a pleasant, trouble free and comfortable trip. We use it daily to shop, take the kids to school, haul the dog, and go out to nice restaurants. It is one of the best cars I have ever owned.

The navigator has been a wonderful addition to the comfort and useability of the car. I also like the power doors.

I really think it should have rear disc brakes and a little bigger wheels.

Great
By PW

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 2nd Odyssey, having previously purchased one of the original '99's. Both vehicles have been wonderful. Very comfortable and roomy. Lots of cupholders and storage cubbies. We owned 2 Windstars before the Odysseys. While the Windstars were good vans, they couldn't compare in reliability and convenience features (magic seat) and especially resale value. A few days ago I would have said there isn't a better minivan than mine anywhere. But...that was before I drove the 2005. Wow!!!! It just keeps getting better!

Magic seat, cupholders everywhere, lots of legroom for the driver.

The only problem...I wish the interior lights would stay on a little longer when the doors are open so you don't have to actually turn the light switch on and risk forgetting to turn them back off again. A delay of 5 minutes probably wouldn't have much impact on overall battery life.

Quality Not Up To Honda's Reputation
By Bryan

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had more problems with this van than any other vehicle I have owned. I bought it based on the Honda name and have since realized that even Honda can make a lemon. I would recommend avoiding the 1999-2001 model years and get the 2002 and later years. Or better yet, go for the Sienna or Grand Caravan. The Odyssey offers a stiff ride with good handling. It is extremely manuverable. The interior is so-so with hard seats that are not too comfortable on a long ride and the stock radio is about as good as my clock radio next to my bed. Plan on upgrading unless you only listen to AM radio. The side doors have a problem with sticking in the winter and the dealer can't seem to fix it.

Very tight turn ratio. Roomy.

Sliding doors, more durable paint, better trans, better sound system, improve the stock tires...