Used 2001 Honda Odyssey EX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Not the Honda fan I once was
By familyofsix

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

As a family of six we need the third row, so it's either SUV or minivan. Bought this used in 2010 to replace a totaled SUV (rollover accident). 92 Accord had been great. Bought this despite knowing possible transmission problem because (a) Consumer Reports still called it a Best Bet, (b) thought Honda would stand behind it. Transmission went out around 105K (apparently typical), Honda dealer wanted $5200 for a new one. I went to my mechanic and got a rebuilt with two-year warranty for $2800. Wrote to Honda, but they offered no help with the bill, saying they knew about other years with bad transmission but not 2001 (despite a recall on 2001 tranny & many net stories similar to mine).

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product. I will not buy another Honda.

Many problems
By lrdog

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van new in Aug of 2001. Within the first 6 months we began experiencing problems with it. The light behind the dash board went out, the automatic doors began sticking, and the transmission began slipping. This van is at the shop every 6 months for some type of issue. I have taken it to the dealership for the transmission at least five different times. Now at 117,400 miles, the transmission goes out and Honda will bck up their product at all. There has been a class action lawsuit because the transmissions are faulty. I expected more from a Honda than constant small problems and a broken transmission. i have never experienced these problems with my Toyotas.

Favorite Features

Folding rear seat, table in between front seats, storage space in rear behing 3rd seat.

Suggested Improvements

Better overall quality, a heavy duty transmission that is built to last 200,000 miles. I will never buy Honda again.

Not what we expected
By gin

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought new in the fall of 2000 expecting to have it last us at least 15 years. We had to replace the transmission at 96K (under warranty) and now have to replace it again at 193K (no warranty)-replacement cost $3300 to $6900 - Ouch!! not feasible for this family - will have to junk it - replacement with new is not possible and any other van just doesn't meet my standards after having the luxuries of this one. Honda you spoiled me - and have disappointed me by replacing broken with refurbished instead of new. My 1995 Chev truck runs better (who would have thought it would outlast a Honda)

Favorite Features

fold down back seat - power doors - removable middle seats - lots of leg room

Suggested Improvements

interior light needs to shut off automatically when a door is left open - or a warning beep from the van that a door is still open before you walk away from it (had to boost the battery often due to doors)

Transmission failure at 98K
By skiutah313

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Odyssey was a decent van until about 80K miles when the "service engine" light started to come on. I had the van dealer-serviced for all recommended work and even had belts,etc changed at the recommended intervals. Eventually the service dept. told me that the slipping was a transmission problem. I am certain this started at under 100K and the service rep indicated that Honda has had transmission issues with the Odyssey. Honda did not even offer a minimal % coverage though I followed all of the service recommendations. I WILL NOT BUY A HONDA again. I purchased a Honda because of its reputation and now I realize that Honda may not care about customer loyalty or vehicle quality.

Favorite Features

Interior space.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission warranty especially when there is a known (though little publicized) issue.

HONDA transmission failure at100K miles!
By Mark

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey Van. I have maintained it according to all of the dealership recommendations and opted for all Honda advised work/repairs and scheduled maintenance since I purchased the van. The transmission failed at 100k miles! The service rep stated the several Honda vans have had a similar issue with the transmission. Honda did not offer a cent of assistance in this replacement. I relied on Honda's reputation for years and now I find that Honda will not stand by the quality of their vehicle and my cost is now $4,700.00 plus.

Favorite Features

Average Van that now has serious transmission problems.

Suggested Improvements

Honda should stand behind their vehicles. If a Honda vehicle has a well-maintained transmission fail at 100k miles, Honda should be reputable and not abandon a loyal consumer.