2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Not the Honda fan I once was
By familyofsix on 06/01/11 16:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

As a family of six we need the third row, so it's either SUV or minivan. Bought this used in 2010 to replace a totaled SUV (rollover accident). 92 Accord had been great. Bought this despite knowing possible transmission problem because (a) Consumer Reports still called it a Best Bet, (b) thought Honda would stand behind it. Transmission went out around 105K (apparently typical), Honda dealer wanted $5200 for a new one. I went to my mechanic and got a rebuilt with two-year warranty for $2800. Wrote to Honda, but they offered no help with the bill, saying they knew about other years with bad transmission but not 2001 (despite a recall on 2001 tranny & many net stories similar to mine).

Many problems
By lrdog on 01/14/11 17:23 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van new in Aug of 2001. Within the first 6 months we began experiencing problems with it. The light behind the dash board went out, the automatic doors began sticking, and the transmission began slipping. This van is at the shop every 6 months for some type of issue. I have taken it to the dealership for the transmission at least five different times. Now at 117,400 miles, the transmission goes out and Honda will bck up their product at all. There has been a class action lawsuit because the transmissions are faulty. I expected more from a Honda than constant small problems and a broken transmission. i have never experienced these problems with my Toyotas.

Not what we expected
By gin on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought new in the fall of 2000 expecting to have it last us at least 15 years. We had to replace the transmission at 96K (under warranty) and now have to replace it again at 193K (no warranty)-replacement cost $3300 to $6900 - Ouch!! not feasible for this family - will have to junk it - replacement with new is not possible and any other van just doesn't meet my standards after having the luxuries of this one. Honda you spoiled me - and have disappointed me by replacing broken with refurbished instead of new. My 1995 Chev truck runs better (who would have thought it would outlast a Honda)

Transmission failure at 98K
By skiutah313 on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Odyssey was a decent van until about 80K miles when the "service engine" light started to come on. I had the van dealer-serviced for all recommended work and even had belts,etc changed at the recommended intervals. Eventually the service dept. told me that the slipping was a transmission problem. I am certain this started at under 100K and the service rep indicated that Honda has had transmission issues with the Odyssey. Honda did not even offer a minimal % coverage though I followed all of the service recommendations. I WILL NOT BUY A HONDA again. I purchased a Honda because of its reputation and now I realize that Honda may not care about customer loyalty or vehicle quality.

HONDA transmission failure at100K miles!
By Mark on 09/03/10 07:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey Van. I have maintained it according to all of the dealership recommendations and opted for all Honda advised work/repairs and scheduled maintenance since I purchased the van. The transmission failed at 100k miles! The service rep stated the several Honda vans have had a similar issue with the transmission. Honda did not offer a cent of assistance in this replacement. I relied on Honda's reputation for years and now I find that Honda will not stand by the quality of their vehicle and my cost is now $4,700.00 plus.

Not Reliable
By lalit on 07/26/10 19:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Yes. Its all a myth. We bought this van new and ever since went through many problems. In its 120K life so far we have changed transmission thrice. I have not changed tires thrice though. Honda is replacing old bad transmission with new bad transmission and just making sure its goes past their 109K warranty. Folks: you will keep on paying for this unless geniuses at Honda finds some solution (may be they do not want to since now they can charge you big bucks). It had door problems, CAT issues, EGR issues and many others but big is transmission and it is a recurrent problem. Dealerships has been kind in helping consumers but why should they? why are they not demanding a solution?

145,000 miles and going strong!
By CPS on 07/09/10 18:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our van brand new and have been extremely pleased with the purchase. We have had to repair the basics that would be expected in a 9 year old, 145,000 mile vehicle. Honda extended the warranty and fixed the transmission at 105,000 miles. Other than that, it's been brakes, tires, timing belt, fluids, etc. No major mechanical or electrical problems

Still worth the money
By bobdacat on 05/14/10 15:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought van brand new in Sept 2000. We got 119,000 out of transmission, Honda covered 75%, 500 out of pocket. Did have to replace the computer at 145,000. Check engine lite for evap code and catalytic converter inefficiency. Nothing that needs to be fixed on that yet. Still van is primary vacation vehicle. excellent on long trips, 2 NJ to Fla trips, numerous trips to Va. Tons of room, didn't know it wasn't comfortable until we bought an 2005 Accord EX. Pushed this van to the edge of its operational envelope. Despite the tranny and computer, van was well worth the money, got more than its value and its still trucking along at 10.5 years and 148,000.

scared.
By tom sampson on 04/27/10 10:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am getting this car as a teen from my parents and after reading reviews i am scared. the last thing i need is my dad giving me an earful for blowing out the transmission which is bound to happen. after reading other reviews i am surprised it has gone 120k with the stock transmission the service light will NOT turn off. i just found out the bumper is nothing more than plastic. this thing is a hog at an SUV like 15 mpg. pickup trucks get more than that. although having bad mileage, it does have a lot of kick to it. but once again, scared to blow out the transmissiion

Superb Van
By BG on 04/23/10 19:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle new in 01. It has been nothing short of outstanding. Incredibly reliable, versatile and safe. With almost 150,000 miles, I wouldn't hesitate to take it on another cross country trip. Great in the snow and comfortable for all occupants. Fantastic storage, still very good acceleration and handles like a car. Also decent mileage for a large vehicle (21 city, 27 hwy) I'd love to get a new vehicle but the wife absolutely loves it, so why spend the $$. Roll on Ody, roll on!