2001 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
A nice family car
By cfl63 on 06/28/12 13:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the 2001 Honda Odyssey new. It has been a good car for the most part. The trans was rebuild at 180,000. I had the main water hose blow a few months ago driving home on 95 North between Washington and Baltimore. My main problem has been the "check engine" light which came on at about 70,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and they had not a clue. They did clean the engine, but the light continued to go on and off. I have 262,000 miles on the car. I'm in the process of replacing it, but I do not think I'll buy another Honda...

Minivan
By Minivan_Man on 07/30/10 18:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle new in 2001 and it now has 98,500 miles. Has been in for service only once since new for uneven idling and turned out to be a loose connector. No transmission problems as other have stated, I even tow. Side doors do stick, but all you need to do is spray the seals with Teflon spray.

Wasn't worth the hype
By taveling man on 03/16/10 09:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it because it was a Honda. At least they covered the transmission the first time it went out at 70,000 miles even though it was properly maintained, better than GM or Ford would do! But, between the sticky rear door, front brakes every 20K and timing belt (why have one not a chain) the money spent is like a Chrysler. Higher resale was a joke because if I had bought a Chrysler for 3,000 cheaper I could have taken advantage of the Cash for clunkers and ended up ahead.

This van is a piece of junk
By Rhonda on 09/23/09 14:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned this van for 2 years, bought it with 113000 miles and have already spent 1800 on it. Now the transmission and catalytic converter are going out. I am so angry at Honda for keeping this van on the road.

Poor Gas mileage
By Sally on 07/22/09 21:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Get 13mpg in city driving. Transmission went out at 90k. A good car, but the gas mileage is killing me.

Wife calls this her "Grapefruit"
By bjgreen on 01/02/09 22:48 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It isn't quite a lemon, but the legendary Honda reliability has passed our van over - hence we call it a "grapefruit." We bought the van new in 2001 and it continues to be our primary family (of five) car. During warranty we had a leaking gasket and a defective fuel pump. After warranty we've had to replace the hinges for both sliding doors and the key cylinder ignition. So the car has left us stranded twice in 8 years. One of the plastic air conditioner knobs split (we glued it back together). The drivers side interior door handle's metallic covering started to peel off and was sharp enough to cut my wife's finger. It is now wrapped in duct tape.

Disappointing
By Dave on 04/14/08 13:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our vehicle used with approximately 40k miles on the van. We have had to replace the transmission three times. I was always led to believe that Honda made quality vehicles I have been extremely disappointed. I have a 1995 Ford Explorer that has not given me a quarter of the problems the Honda Odyssey has and the Explorer has over 240k miles on it. The Odyssey is fun to drive however the I have been less than impressed with the required maintenance needed on the vehicle. I would strongly suggest someone buying this vehicle used request an extended warranty because you may need it.

2001 Honda Odyssey - still going strong
By ResIspaLoq on 01/19/08 11:43 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This minivan has always been fun to drive. The way this car was designed, with its tight wheelbase and good road feel made me think that Honda wanted to capture the Accord drivers and had to offer a performance car with the highest safety ratings. It was relatively expensive at the time, but if I'm going to drive my kids and other people's kids everywhere, I wanted to the safest car. At the time, we spent a lot of time driving to activities and vacations. Honda did have a transmission recall, and did the whole replacement for free. We also liked the fact that you could convert the rear seat, which is not something other vans were capable of doing at the time.

LX model
By Tony G. on 06/19/06 11:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My van has a few over 100,000 miles and I have not had a serious problem with it yet. The only bad thing has been the manual sliding doors. They stick all the time and they freeze in cold weather. I saw someone mentioned that the transmission shifts late in cold weather and the dealer said it was a feature. It actually is a feature it shifts late with less pedal push so the engine can warm up faster.

Positive
By Pleased in Frisco on 03/14/06 01:50 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I feel very safe in my Honda. I accidentally hit a deer and all I felt was a bump. I didn't even get out to look. When I saw the damage the deer had done I was shocked. It's like Timex, it took a "lickin" and kept on "tickin".