Used 2000 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2000 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Most Helpful|
3 Transmissions Later
By usedcaralways

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

The first year we owned our van was great. Starting with the first summer our luck ran out and every summer for 3 years we'd have to replace the transmission. Honda helped us out once but after that we were on our own. During research my husband found out that the transmission used on this 2000 model had so many problems that Honda never used it again. Today we still own it but are hunting for another vehicle because our 3rd transmission has started to act up and before it dies we need to get out of this money pit of a car. we were a couple hundred from paying it off but instead are putting that money towards another vehicle. My husband swears we'll never own another Honda again.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission recall for this model.

Never had a better car!
By Tammy

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

The Honda Odyssey SV 2000 has been the most reliable mini van I've owned. It handles very well, especially on rainy days and has been a great family car around town and on long trips.

Favorite Features

I opted for the navigation system instead of a CD player. It has saved many family arguments and we talk to the kids.

Transmission Gremlin
By BG

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I am short of 100k on my 2000. The original transmission lasted until 60k. The replacement which was free under the extended warranty only lasted 30k. Honda discounted the 3rd transmission to $1600 for the 3rd transmission. I have no faith in these units with the bearing failure. If it weren't for the poor economy, I would trade the car in. I also experienced the other issues that that were covered by the extended warranty, like the EGR ports. Otherwise, the car has held up fairly well without other major problems. It's a shame that this handsome nice driving minivan has this transmission reliability issue.

Favorite Features

Best looking minivan body ever; decent fuel economy for its size; good snow traction; overall easy maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Provide replacement transmissions without the flaw. A transmission that fails with only 30K is not acceptable in this day and age.

A Family Hauler
By P33B

2000 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Purchased Odyssey new in April 2000. Had a '92 Chrysler minivan previously which was the most unreliable vehicle ever. Have 4 kids and needed something large. Now has 113,000 miles, extremely reliable (routine maintenance only) except for transmission. Replaced transmission last year at 105,000 miles. Honda split the cost based on extended warranty for transmission. Sliding doors stick in wet weather. 16-18 MPG city, 22-25 MPG highway at 70-75 MPH. Reasonable for a heavy vehicle. Still solid with no squeaks or rattles. Don't use to too often anymore but it runs great. Own three other Hondas and Odyssey has been just as reliable.

Favorite Features

Panoramic view out front windows. Crisp handling for its size. Room for a large family, dog and luggage for a long trip. Excellent A/C on hot days.

Suggested Improvements

Sliding doors stick. Acceleration adequate which gets leisurely with a heavy load. Wind noise on highway.

No tranny problems here.
By weigel5

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle new and sold it about a year ago. It was a great vehicle for the 11yrs we owned it. Only consistent problem was the passenger automatic sliding doors would get out of alignment every other year or so. It also developed a slight oil leak (very slight) as in one to five drops per week (estimate) never actually counted the droplets on a weekly basis. I only hope the new owners have as good of an experience with this vehicle as we did.

Favorite Features

Interior design

Suggested Improvements

More reliable passenger side automatic sliding doors.