Used 2000 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Don't buy Honda
By Unhappy Honda Owner

2000 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I am so sorry I didn't find this forum before buying my 2000 Honda Odyssey with 45000 miles. Transmission is "toast" at 100000 miles, and from the horror stories I've read here and heard elsewhere, it is not worth fixing. I am going to donate this (if they'll take it) and buy only Toyota from now on. I was expecting to get 150K miles easily, as I did with my Toyota's, but this clunker fell about 2.5 years shy of that. I will never buy another Honda based on all the bad transmissions in this plus Accord and others. Goodbye Honda, Hello Toyota.

Captains chairs, removable & fold down seats good for transporting luggage, etc.

This transmission is flawed. Honda should do something, like a "cash for clunkers" type promotion. Bring in your defective Honda & get $3K towards lease, etc. This was a huge disappointment. Never again will I buy a Honda.

Rear sliding doors
By rear sliding doors

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We bought our Odyssey back in 2005 with 60k miles on it. It now has over 130k miles on it with only minor problems: Check engine light on (oxygen sensor) and paint durability issues sliding rear door problems. It seems a lot of people have this problem. I found that it helped if you lube the movable parts on the door it helps keep it from sticking. As far as the transmission goes, you need to service and change fluid every 15k or 20k miles for reliability. Most people don't do this and they wonder why they have problems. We had the timing belt changed at 100k miles. This van has been on 2 1500 mile trips and 2 1200 mile trips with no issues. The van is a daily driver.

Comfort and fun to drive. Everything still works fine for a 9yr 130k mile vehicle.

improve paint issues and sliding rear window problems

Great Car
By jv.wojciechowski

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

Well I purchased my 2000 Honda Odyssey brand new. I personally have never had problems with my car! No transmission problems, my cd and navigation work fine, and no repairs on the sliding doors! My wife drove this car around and never a problem, so I totally recommend this car! If you were to take a look at my Honda it still looks brand new! I liked the Honda Odyssey so much that I actually recently purchased the 08 Odyssey touring, more expensive than the 2000 but same quality. And quality doesn't come cheap!

Auto lights, back up sensors, CD/cassette, navigation, moon roof, power sliding doors, fold down rear seat and rear AC.

Nothing, everything perfect when I saw it! Passed my inspection.

Lucky I guess
By Robert Smith

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I bought my Odyssey new, performed scheduled maintenance and haven't had any major problems. Did have EGR valve replaced under warranty. The transmission has a small leak that is annoying but has never failed. As a side note, I never used Honda Transmission Fluid, and I changed my transmission fluid every 40K miles or so - usually after towing a small utility trailer or u-haul. I now have 156k miles and given the history of cars I've owned before, if it broke down tomorrow I wouldn't be upset. What will bother me more about buying another Odyssey is that inflated price for a comparably equipped model but considering I had to pay sticker for this one, I guess it's to be expected.

strong A/C, flexibility with interior seating including hideaway 3rd row seat, durability of interior, quiet interior/exterior

Stereo sound is bad, rear drum brakes should be disc, luggage rack is useless without buying additional cross bars, don't like buying "suggested" premium gasoline for it, and definitely an AWD option. I'm leaning heavily toward the Sienna just for this feature.

Transmissions!!!!
By Dick

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I was first caught in the Canada vs. US fight, but finally resolved through Tokyo to correct first transmission failure at 78K mile. Second transmission has now failed after 70K miles and every dealer and transmission shop is familiar with the problem. Honda US will not help because of the 'gray market' status! What a joke. All 2000 Odysseys were built in Canada and I do not believe built in Canada with US use is why the transmissions fail. US Customer Service is useless. I'm going to try Tokyo again.

Except for transmission, this is a great vehicle. I am totally disappointed in Honda for the transmission issue and lack of responsiveness.