2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Designers Missed Some No-Brainers
By j4 on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Good van overall. We bought it new and have put about 40,00 miles on it. The doors stuck for the first summer we had the van. The transmission shift control is directly in front of the stereo on/off/volume control. The stereo sux! I can't believe for a vehicle in this price range that you have to unscrew the antenna to go through a car wash. Also, no way to secure rear wiper in a car wash. Middle floor mat frayed within the first year.

more trouble than it's worth
By hondaowner on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I had nothing but trouble with the automatic sliding doors. Had to have it declared a lemon to finally get them to replace the entire door mechanism. Drives like a car and is easy to drive and maneuver, but the finishes are cheap inside. Transmission shifts really hard. Would never buy another. Know at least 10 other owners that feel the same way - all had door troubles too. Would never recommend it.

Typical Honda Excellence
By Steve Clack on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Performance is very good for a minivan but wish it had the 240 hp motor and 5 spd. that has only now been installed in the '02. Interior usability and flexibilty is unrivaled among minivans or any other vehicle type. Love the fold-down rear seat. This is a great all day 90 mph cruising machine.

So much for Honda reliability....
By John S. on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We bought this van to replace a 1995 Taurus wagon, which at the time I thought was the biggest piece of garbage on the road. This van is vying for the title. In the two years since we bought it, we have had to repair/replace the front brakes/rotors twice (the entire brake design is undersized for the car), replace the entire transmission (leaky sway bar), replace rear wheel bearing, fix leaky valve cover gaskets, and repair defective sliding doors. It is an adventure to try to predict what will fail next...

It's green, so it's a lime, not a lemon.
By ffeineandsugar on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

While this vehicle has great features, especially with its interior and its engine, the overall experience has been akin to owning a Yugo Minivan. My Honda, in 35k miles, has gone through 3 snapped door handles. The brakes failed in the middle of the Lincoln Tunnel (with the entire family on board). The horn shorted out, locking the wheel (at 4k miles!) The original tires lasted less than 25k miles. The body dents under pressure from small children and hard stares. Honda of North America has been very difficult to deal with. Look elsewhere.

What a disappointment!
By soon a honda-ex on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Two years later, it's been back to the dealer 8 times for auto door problems, 3 times for a consistent pull to the right, and 3 times for shuddering brakes. It has all of 24,000 miles. They have replaced the brake pads, rotors, and drums and the entire electronic system in the doors. They sent a district engineer to look at it and kept it a week two separate times without really fixing all the problems. The brakes still have a shudder. Beware of Honda Care, they refused to buy it back! It misses the Texas Lemon Law by a technicality. I have a 15- year old Camry that has had fewer problems than this van. What a disappointment!

Honda Odyssey
By carnut0118 on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

My wife has driven the EX w/Navi since new. The navigation system is extremely useful and user friendly. We've had only two irritants. 1. The rear AC knob has broken off twice. Poor design in my opinion. 2. A piece of the roof rack fell off. The dealer did fix both items under warranty. We are no longer under warranty.

Still happy
By carzilla on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

This is the one vehicle I have owned (of many) that I feel was money well spent after years of ownership. No major drawbacks other than the lack of options like leather and a DVD when I bought it. A minor annoyance is the road noise on the expressway but maybe better tires would fix that problem.

Great Van...Few Kinks
By avj on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We have had our van for exactly 2 years now. We had to replace the battery, had a clunking behind the right front wheel that needed to be fixed and the electric doors got stuck once. I agree that the stereo system is not so great, and the swooshing of the gas when the tank is full is a bit annoying. The controls for the front seat could be placed better, I'm forever pressing the button that moves the seats on my way out of the van. On the positive side, it's a great van and has a great ride. It's powerful and the fold-down 3rd seat is the best!! You never have to plan ahead when making a big purchase, just fold that seat down and your good to go.

Safty and Performance
By Jay Shankar on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Excellent to drive for Very Long Drive. You can enjoy every comfort. This is absolutely afortable luxury mini van. I am happy to own this. This is worth evry penny I paid.