Used 2000 Honda Odyssey LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

2000 odyssey
By christislord

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

No longer a Honda fan. My 2000 odyssey is on it's 5th transmission. The first failed at about 55000. Honda put 3 rebuilt transmissions in, one only lasted about 15,000 miles. The fifth i put in at an independent dealer who rebuilt it. We bought new and had all work done at the dealership, took good care of it. Honda Corporate refused to pay for the last transmission. I feel that since they know there are problems with the transmissions they should take responsiblity for them. They advertise that 80% of their Honda's are on the road 20 years later, they should keep them running by replacing defective transmissions for 20 years. I expected to keep this for 20 years.

Favorite Features

Back seat drops down easily to make for large carrying ability. Back seat up allows for tall items to be carried. Middle seats can be together or separate. Smooth ride (when transmission is working) and easy to handle comfortable. good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Reliable transmissions!

A Family Hauler
By P33B

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Purchased Odyssey new in April 2000. Had a '92 Chrysler minivan previously which was the most unreliable vehicle ever. Have 4 kids and needed something large. Now has 113,000 miles, extremely reliable (routine maintenance only) except for transmission. Replaced transmission last year at 105,000 miles. Honda split the cost based on extended warranty for transmission. Sliding doors stick in wet weather. 16-18 MPG city, 22-25 MPG highway at 70-75 MPH. Reasonable for a heavy vehicle. Still solid with no squeaks or rattles. Don't use to too often anymore but it runs great. Own three other Hondas and Odyssey has been just as reliable.

Favorite Features

Panoramic view out front windows. Crisp handling for its size. Room for a large family, dog and luggage for a long trip. Excellent A/C on hot days.

Suggested Improvements

Sliding doors stick. Acceleration adequate which gets leisurely with a heavy load. Wind noise on highway.

So far so good but dreading future
By Gibran

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Bought the van from first owners a few years ago after our first kid and before the 2nd. Didn't realize the van had problems. Check engine light went on after 2 days. Called the seller and they pretended they don't know about it. There was a recall on the problem but they never took it in. Long story short it is the cat converter thing. It has been 15,000 miles since we have been driving on that check engine light so far it is just a light. The transmission slips when I back it in on our uphill driveway but no major transmission problems yet. Awesome space I use it to haul stuff around all the time after the 3rd seat fall flat include 8 ft dry walls !! : )

Favorite Features

Has the power when you gun it, interior room and space, 3rd row seat is great and very useful. Has decent space back there too.

Suggested Improvements

Cat converter, transmission the recall should have been for a longer period it is for 5 years and 100,000 miles, we are under the 100,000 miles but don't qualify because of the years. Sliding doors do tend to get stuck but still you get a lot for your money if you buy it used.

Great experience
By PA Vet

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Decided to buy the LX as everyone else was buying the EX model, leaving LX's on the lot. Didn't want the electric doors as I saw that as something that could go wrong. The van has never let us down, gets great mileage, and is comfortable enough. Honda replaced the EGR valve and transmission based on technicians recommendation during normal maintenance. Since the transmissions replacement mileage went up from 24 mpg to 27 mpg on the highway. Otherwise just routine maintenance. We've kept it simply because of what it can haul, sheets of plywood and more important my kids junk to and from college. Since buying this we've bought 3 more Honda's, but have kept the van for its utility.

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seat, ease of removing middle seats. Great mileage for what it can haul.

Suggested Improvements

Helper springs or airbags in the rear. When fully loaded it squats at the rear. The van is also very particular with the type/brand of tire. Found out the hard way, and had to go back to the pricier Michelins. The seats are OK, but could be better for support, comfort.

Junk
By dr john

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I should have bought a Grand Caravan. I song and dance about reliability. Not true just a bunch of fiction from consumer reports and others. The most problematic vehicle I have owned except maybe my 68 GTO. Check engine light never stayed off, catalytic converter replaced 3x, EGR port, two transmissions after warranty was up. Sliding door repairs constantly, electrical problems and irritating road/wind noise. I am not sure what the deal is with the front brakes wearing out so often. Most of these problems were recall issues and the dealer failed to tell me. Called Honda and they refused to honor any help with repair bills. My wife and kids are stranded 5 hours away now. Tranny went out again.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Honor defective parts esp. the documented transmission issues.