Used 2000 Honda Odyssey EX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

No tranny problems here.
By weigel5

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle new and sold it about a year ago. It was a great vehicle for the 11yrs we owned it. Only consistent problem was the passenger automatic sliding doors would get out of alignment every other year or so. It also developed a slight oil leak (very slight) as in one to five drops per week (estimate) never actually counted the droplets on a weekly basis. I only hope the new owners have as good of an experience with this vehicle as we did.

Favorite Features

Interior design

Suggested Improvements

More reliable passenger side automatic sliding doors.

2nd transmission gone
By Ross_t

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Decent minivan, has some squeaks and rattles, struts are shot and the second transmission just blew. The first transmission went at ~58k, less than 40k on the second. I have kept the transmission fluid clean by drain and fills, has Honda trans cooler. Other items replaced have been wear items. I would be quite happy with this vehicle if the transmissions had been better engineered and reliable. Honda has been poor in standing behind their product IMHO and won't get another purchase out of me. (multiple Honda car owner.)

Favorite Features

Capacity

Suggested Improvements

Please Honda, send your transmission designers/engineers to school! Learn how to make your automatics as good as your manual transmissions. Replacing these boat anchor lumps isn't a trivial expense.

Love My Ody!
By shadowfax5113

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We bought our 2000 Odyssey in 2004 with 93,000 miles. We just replaced the original transmission with a nicely rebuilt one. I love this van! Drives nicely, looks great, gets good mileage (avg. 21 mpg) for a van. For the wear and tear we have put on it, 3 kids, 6 dogs, numerous road trips, it has performed admirably.

Favorite Features

Love my Navigation system, upgraded the DVD. Love the cargo room, ease of stowing rear seats and removal of 2nd row.

Suggested Improvements

Honda should really have put more thought into the transmission, the clutch plates need more lubrication grooves, they should use synthetic ATF, and a cooler and inline filter should be standard! The sliding doors need more durable rollers! Other than that, I have no suggestions.

Transmission Gremlin
By BG

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I am short of 100k on my 2000. The original transmission lasted until 60k. The replacement which was free under the extended warranty only lasted 30k. Honda discounted the 3rd transmission to $1600 for the 3rd transmission. I have no faith in these units with the bearing failure. If it weren't for the poor economy, I would trade the car in. I also experienced the other issues that that were covered by the extended warranty, like the EGR ports. Otherwise, the car has held up fairly well without other major problems. It's a shame that this handsome nice driving minivan has this transmission reliability issue.

Favorite Features

Best looking minivan body ever; decent fuel economy for its size; good snow traction; overall easy maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Provide replacement transmissions without the flaw. A transmission that fails with only 30K is not acceptable in this day and age.

2000 Honda Ody EX
By Edex

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I'd be very happy with this vehicle if it weren't for the automatic transmission. I nursed the original transmission along for years, but it finally became too flaky to consider safe. I just had it rebuilt at 160k miles at a private shop for almost $4,000 exactly. I had my car serviced by the dealer until 4 years ago; they kept telling me that they couldn't find anything wrong. Only when I took it to a private mechanic did I get the news that these transmissions are not up to par.

Favorite Features

Very versatile vehicle. Huge interior. Can fit 4 X 8 feet plywood flat on the floor.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shouldn't be on its last legs in less than 10 years.