2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
No tranny problems here.
By weigel5 on 04/16/12 11:17 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle new and sold it about a year ago. It was a great vehicle for the 11yrs we owned it. Only consistent problem was the passenger automatic sliding doors would get out of alignment every other year or so. It also developed a slight oil leak (very slight) as in one to five drops per week (estimate) never actually counted the droplets on a weekly basis. I only hope the new owners have as good of an experience with this vehicle as we did.

2nd transmission gone
By Ross_t on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Decent minivan, has some squeaks and rattles, struts are shot and the second transmission just blew. The first transmission went at ~58k, less than 40k on the second. I have kept the transmission fluid clean by drain and fills, has Honda trans cooler. Other items replaced have been wear items. I would be quite happy with this vehicle if the transmissions had been better engineered and reliable. Honda has been poor in standing behind their product IMHO and won't get another purchase out of me. (multiple Honda car owner.)

Love My Ody!
By shadowfax5113 on 08/02/10 05:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We bought our 2000 Odyssey in 2004 with 93,000 miles. We just replaced the original transmission with a nicely rebuilt one. I love this van! Drives nicely, looks great, gets good mileage (avg. 21 mpg) for a van. For the wear and tear we have put on it, 3 kids, 6 dogs, numerous road trips, it has performed admirably.

2000 Honda Ody EX
By Edex on 07/29/10 07:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I'd be very happy with this vehicle if it weren't for the automatic transmission. I nursed the original transmission along for years, but it finally became too flaky to consider safe. I just had it rebuilt at 160k miles at a private shop for almost $4,000 exactly. I had my car serviced by the dealer until 4 years ago; they kept telling me that they couldn't find anything wrong. Only when I took it to a private mechanic did I get the news that these transmissions are not up to par.

Transmission Gremlin
By BG on 07/10/10 07:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I am short of 100k on my 2000. The original transmission lasted until 60k. The replacement which was free under the extended warranty only lasted 30k. Honda discounted the 3rd transmission to $1600 for the 3rd transmission. I have no faith in these units with the bearing failure. If it weren't for the poor economy, I would trade the car in. I also experienced the other issues that that were covered by the extended warranty, like the EGR ports. Otherwise, the car has held up fairly well without other major problems. It's a shame that this handsome nice driving minivan has this transmission reliability issue.

Not Honda Quality
By RiggZola on 06/12/10 09:57 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Bought this van from my sister who bought it new but after a serious side- impact accident the van held up well. I got a deal. Engine seems underpowered and handling is ok. I've had constant issues with the van. Worn front tires, front brakes need replacing almost yearly. Replaced the tranny @ 90K but now at 115K it's gone bad again. Sliding door problems and EGR/cat converter issues also plague my van. I have an Acura TL and am just hoping it doesn't have the same issues. I'm selling for a different brand if I can get out from under these repair costs. I wouldn't buy it again and have definitely taken Honda off the top of my shopping list.

Workhorse, But Back to Toyota for Me
By Prof Utonium on 04/29/10 12:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Bought new. Had most bang for buck when it came out. Handles well--more like car than van/truck. Had lots of innovative features. It's probably improved, but always had Toyotas before--going back too (this week). It's the family van (3 girls); we use it for everything everyday, even pulling a trailer. However, seats uncomfortable, stereo marginal, power doors stink. Has problems seen on forums: Transmission replaced (recall fix). Power doors constantly failing (3 times since warranty ran out at $200+ a pop, 7 times total). Dash light dimmer burned out (recall fix). Speedometer failed. Loud, whining rear wiper but still works (we just don't use it). Some other dash lights out.

Familiar Problems
By Familymaniam on 02/03/10 15:33 PM (PST)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Bought car new in 2000. It replaced my 1995 Odyssey. Love the van except for transmission problem, paint clearcoat failure and repeated problems with sliding doors. Van handles well. We've been on long trips and the space makes traveling with kids great.

Great Minivan
By DaveA on 01/03/10 17:21 PM (PST)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Yeah, it's a minivan. But...if what you want is solid reliability and flexibility, then the Odyssey delivers. I have had mine since new in late 1999 and it has only been to the shop once over 130,000 miles for a timing belt. That's it. I have used Mobil 1 and been careful to keep up with the maintenance, which is very little other than fluids, battery, plugs and brake pads. I am going to buy another Odyssey if my 10 year old one ever decides to conk out.

Never had a better car!
By Tammy on 10/12/09 10:03 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

The Honda Odyssey SV 2000 has been the most reliable mini van I've owned. It handles very well, especially on rainy days and has been a great family car around town and on long trips.