2000 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
No tranny problems here.
By weigel5 on 04/16/12 11:17 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle new and sold it about a year ago. It was a great vehicle for the 11yrs we owned it. Only consistent problem was the passenger automatic sliding doors would get out of alignment every other year or so. It also developed a slight oil leak (very slight) as in one to five drops per week (estimate) never actually counted the droplets on a weekly basis. I only hope the new owners have as good of an experience with this vehicle as we did.

2000 odyssey
By christislord on 09/24/11 23:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

No longer a Honda fan. My 2000 odyssey is on it's 5th transmission. The first failed at about 55000. Honda put 3 rebuilt transmissions in, one only lasted about 15,000 miles. The fifth i put in at an independent dealer who rebuilt it. We bought new and had all work done at the dealership, took good care of it. Honda Corporate refused to pay for the last transmission. I feel that since they know there are problems with the transmissions they should take responsiblity for them. They advertise that 80% of their Honda's are on the road 20 years later, they should keep them running by replacing defective transmissions for 20 years. I expected to keep this for 20 years.

A Family Hauler
By P33B on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Purchased Odyssey new in April 2000. Had a '92 Chrysler minivan previously which was the most unreliable vehicle ever. Have 4 kids and needed something large. Now has 113,000 miles, extremely reliable (routine maintenance only) except for transmission. Replaced transmission last year at 105,000 miles. Honda split the cost based on extended warranty for transmission. Sliding doors stick in wet weather. 16-18 MPG city, 22-25 MPG highway at 70-75 MPH. Reasonable for a heavy vehicle. Still solid with no squeaks or rattles. Don't use to too often anymore but it runs great. Own three other Hondas and Odyssey has been just as reliable.

2nd transmission gone
By Ross_t on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

Decent minivan, has some squeaks and rattles, struts are shot and the second transmission just blew. The first transmission went at ~58k, less than 40k on the second. I have kept the transmission fluid clean by drain and fills, has Honda trans cooler. Other items replaced have been wear items. I would be quite happy with this vehicle if the transmissions had been better engineered and reliable. Honda has been poor in standing behind their product IMHO and won't get another purchase out of me. (multiple Honda car owner.)

Love My Ody!
By shadowfax5113 on 08/02/10 05:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We bought our 2000 Odyssey in 2004 with 93,000 miles. We just replaced the original transmission with a nicely rebuilt one. I love this van! Drives nicely, looks great, gets good mileage (avg. 21 mpg) for a van. For the wear and tear we have put on it, 3 kids, 6 dogs, numerous road trips, it has performed admirably.

2000 Honda Ody EX
By Edex on 07/29/10 07:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I'd be very happy with this vehicle if it weren't for the automatic transmission. I nursed the original transmission along for years, but it finally became too flaky to consider safe. I just had it rebuilt at 160k miles at a private shop for almost $4,000 exactly. I had my car serviced by the dealer until 4 years ago; they kept telling me that they couldn't find anything wrong. Only when I took it to a private mechanic did I get the news that these transmissions are not up to par.

Transmission Gremlin
By BG on 07/10/10 07:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I am short of 100k on my 2000. The original transmission lasted until 60k. The replacement which was free under the extended warranty only lasted 30k. Honda discounted the 3rd transmission to $1600 for the 3rd transmission. I have no faith in these units with the bearing failure. If it weren't for the poor economy, I would trade the car in. I also experienced the other issues that that were covered by the extended warranty, like the EGR ports. Otherwise, the car has held up fairly well without other major problems. It's a shame that this handsome nice driving minivan has this transmission reliability issue.

Not Honda Quality
By RiggZola on 06/12/10 09:57 AM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

Bought this van from my sister who bought it new but after a serious side- impact accident the van held up well. I got a deal. Engine seems underpowered and handling is ok. I've had constant issues with the van. Worn front tires, front brakes need replacing almost yearly. Replaced the tranny @ 90K but now at 115K it's gone bad again. Sliding door problems and EGR/cat converter issues also plague my van. I have an Acura TL and am just hoping it doesn't have the same issues. I'm selling for a different brand if I can get out from under these repair costs. I wouldn't buy it again and have definitely taken Honda off the top of my shopping list.

Workhorse, But Back to Toyota for Me
By Prof Utonium on 04/29/10 12:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

Bought new. Had most bang for buck when it came out. Handles well--more like car than van/truck. Had lots of innovative features. It's probably improved, but always had Toyotas before--going back too (this week). It's the family van (3 girls); we use it for everything everyday, even pulling a trailer. However, seats uncomfortable, stereo marginal, power doors stink. Has problems seen on forums: Transmission replaced (recall fix). Power doors constantly failing (3 times since warranty ran out at $200+ a pop, 7 times total). Dash light dimmer burned out (recall fix). Speedometer failed. Loud, whining rear wiper but still works (we just don't use it). Some other dash lights out.

So far so good but dreading future
By Gibran on 02/08/10 09:38 AM (PST)

2000 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Bought the van from first owners a few years ago after our first kid and before the 2nd. Didn't realize the van had problems. Check engine light went on after 2 days. Called the seller and they pretended they don't know about it. There was a recall on the problem but they never took it in. Long story short it is the cat converter thing. It has been 15,000 miles since we have been driving on that check engine light so far it is just a light. The transmission slips when I back it in on our uphill driveway but no major transmission problems yet. Awesome space I use it to haul stuff around all the time after the 3rd seat fall flat include 8 ft dry walls !! : )