Used 1999 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Great Family Van
By mary

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We bought this van new and have 129,000 miles on it. Its been great transportation - comfortable, roomy, great for hauling people and stuff. Have had problems with the doors but the dealer has been very reasonable. Had to replace catalytic converter at less than 100,000 miles and now it needs a new transmission. That's not covered by warranty but we are getting a deal ($500)plus labor. Only complaint is performance in snow - not great even with TCS. Plymouth Voyager was much better in snowy/icy conditions.

Favorite Features

automatic doors; rear seats fold down into well; lots of space

Suggested Improvements

Better performance in snow - maybe 4WD option; more reliable sliding automatic doors

Great family vehicle all-around
By Gould

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We've had this vehicle for almost six years, and have had very few problems. It rides great, is not too loud at high speeds, has excellent pickup, and gets good gas mileage for its size. I would recommend it to anyone looking for the best minivan on the market.

Favorite Features

Electric, automatic sliding doors, pickup, comfort, and disappearing third row seat.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo sound could be better.

My dream family car
By DiY

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I am now at 60K miles. I waited a year for this van to come on the market because the Toyoto van was too small inside and drove like a boat. I have loved this van. Wished many times that I had had the remote controlled sliding doors when my kids were still small. I like the way the rear seat folds down for a flat loading area. ...and yes, all the new van models are immitating all the practical features of this one.

Favorite Features

rear folding seat, electrical sliding doors, rear doors will only open while in Park mode, plenty of room, solid & sturdy feel, quiet engine, handles superb

Suggested Improvements

deeper cupholders

LEMON: 5 Transmissions in 56,000 miles
By Fis

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

You read it correctly. 1st transmission lasted only a few months. The replacement lasted about a year. You read it correctly. 1st transmission lasted only a few months. The replacement lasted about a year. The 3rd transmission lasted the longest -- from 2001 to 2004. The 4th transmission lasted only 3,000 miles and just died on the highway while on a family trip. My automatic doors have also been repaired/adjusted 5 times (sudden door buzzing when hitting bumps in the road). If you want an Odyssey, wait for the all-new 2005 model.

Favorite Features

Good old Honda ergonomics. Simplicity. Value.

Suggested Improvements

They've tried and failed. Just wait for the 2005 redesign.

It's Been Good To Me
By RoeberR

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I've been happy with the van. There have been more than the usual number of recall notices. But, I like getting new parts and it just costs some of my time. The brakes are less than desirable, but they are OK if you get ceramic pads. I paid $$$ for my broken handle caused by a sliding door that wouldn't. The original tires were sorry, but there are good replacements available when the others wear out. This minivan design is worth all the effort that Ford put into it. And, so many other companies are copying it like Honda did. The A/C is also OK, unlike all of the other Honda's I've owned.

Favorite Features

I like that it was build well. No need to fix it - except for the sliding door.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the sliding door so that it opens easier. Design it to hold a full size spare tire even if a tiny one is original equipment. More storage compartments for the rear seat passengers.